Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 07-05-2004, 07:00 AM   #41
jwhawk
Founding Member

Default Re: Anti-Motorcycle Rant

I think the bikers she describes are nitwits. As far as your comment, you must be one of those Goldwing pilots that is too good to wave at the rest of us.
jwhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2004, 07:08 AM   #42
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: misogynist crap, MOrons

The Dialectic requires one step back for two steps forward, As Clinton was at least two steps forward, Kerry will suffice as the one step back

The currant administration has laid bare the blackend heart of capitolism for all to see. November will see a return of power to the people.

One land

One people

One Leader
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 07:22 AM   #43
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Rebuttal

The unwritten message of this artical was "Us responsible, law abiding adults have to watch out for these people because they're to stupid to watch out for themselves"

As it happens I agree, racing around in and out of traffic in a tee shirt and shorts with no helmet is pretty stupid.

However self-rightous busy bodies with their panties in a twist blundering around in Navigators is a much bigger threat to me and mine than some dip-s**t on a sportbike.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 09:05 AM   #44
jaycar
Founding Member

I'm not sure I read anything anti-motorcycle in that article. I ride, and have for 30+ years, and squids irritate me as well.

Years ago, before being squidly was fashionable, I saw a squid lose it crossing some railroad tracks. In Oklahoma. In August. Girlfriend was only wearing a bikini. Squid decked out in cutoffs. After sliding across the hot concrete for a bit, neither one had much in the way of clothes or privacy left, and a serious case of road rash. Lots of blood too.

So, I know it could never happen to you Sir Squid, but these two actually got off easy. Time probably healed them, and they procreated more squids to prop up the Gixxer market. But you may not be so lucky when you stuff your bike into the bumper of a car because you were riding like a fool.

Old 07-05-2004, 09:25 AM   #45
richl025
Founding Member

I really didn't se emuch in it that was anti-motorcycle, myself. If you read it again, you might notice that he appears to have ridden himself (or at least has a bit of knowledge about rider training).

He's not ranting against bikers, he's ranting against squids... and no where do I see him cry for more laws or banning bikes or any of the typical anti-biker stuff - he's just telling people to watch out for the idiots.

I _can_ see, though, how some readers would _think_ it was anti-bike, since the squids on sportbikes are one of the more "visible" constituencies on two wheels....
richl025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 09:37 AM   #46
EbonFlame
Founding Member

Default the Currant Bush

must have some pretty tasty berries, eh?
EbonFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 09:44 AM   #47
bevivino1
Founding Member

I am most amazed at her use of generalization. You could substitute in any racial slur or ethnic stereotype when the author is ranting about these riders. Try it, and the article flows quite smoothly.

I wear lots of gear and ride cautiously on highways, and I really don't understand those who ride in what most people take on the beach. I don't de-humanize people by coming up with funny names so that when they die I can say I killed a 'butterfly tattoo', or a 'hornet swarm', rather than 'Bill' or 'Jim'. While they are doing stupid things, they are individuals doing stupid things, not a group that can be lumped together.

She does not like motorcyclists, she does not understand motorcyclists, and she has no interest in anything as trivial as 'the facts'. So instead she lumps us all into a neat bundle defined by some slang words and gives us all the same negative characteristics, then encourages others to do the same.

I don't know who is more pathetic, the person who wrote this hate-mongering piece of hack journalism, or the editor who allowed it to be put into print.
bevivino1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 10:00 AM   #48
John8850
Founding Member

I find it funny that people on this site can accuse her of over-generalization, since the anti-SUV sentiment on this site is probably the worst generalization/stereotyping I have ever witnessed.

Everyone who rides a literbike is not a dangerous scofflaw punk. Everyone who drives an SUV is not a cell-phone gabbing inattentive driver. Get over it.

I hate drivers - this includes motorcyclists, SUV-ers, some drunk sorority girl in a Jetta) whose idiocy endangers others (not themselves; I could care less if someone wears a seatbelt or a helmet).
John8850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 11:05 AM   #49
mjs
Founding Member

I didn't see this article as anti-motorcycle, but more in the vein of anti-jerk, anti-a**hole.

Don't be so sensitive. She wasn't talking about all motorcyclists, but just about some of the squidly freaks that we all know are out there these days.

Her article was written more out of concern for for her fellow human beings rather than just being condemnatory.

Give her a break.
mjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 11:05 AM   #50
obandoj
Founding Member

His wife is probably fat too!

Remember, FAT BUTT CLUB.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote