Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 07-04-2004, 09:06 AM   #11
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Default Re: Anti-Motorcycle Rant

Well, first of all, it startles me, because I wasn't expecting it. And maybe I was about to change lanes but had to abort the manuever because you suddenly appeared alongside me, so I did have to alter course. And when you misjudge one of your high-speed lane changes and splatter yourself (and your passenger, whose safety is your responsibility) all over the highway, I have to sit and wait in the traffic jam you cause.

It's easy to view cagers as "the enemy", but I'm of the opinion that a large number of motorcycle accidents are caused by motorcyclists doing things that cagers don't expect, i.e., by not driving like a cager. Splitting lanes at high speed is an obvious example. A less-obvious one is riding toward a surface street intersection at a higher speed than most traffic, thus making it hard for the cager to judge your arrival time. I think this is the cause of many of the classic left-turn accidents. Even things as simple as not using your turn signals for a lane change may surprise a driver. Being predictable is a major component of being safe, IMHO.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2004, 09:34 AM   #12
keywestblues
Founding Member

At first I thought of offering comments on being a responsible rider, headgear, protective clothing and such; but it would be a waste of time to attempt logic on such a prejudiced individual.

If the bikes are going by so fast how does she make out the tattoos! Also, why is she so preoccupied with tattoos on other womens butts. Was her article signed Leslie or Lesbian?
keywestblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 10:47 AM   #13
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

We all know it wasn't KPaul, because the author said they were being passed by the motorcyclist.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:59 AM   #14
Winger4Life
Founding Member

Damn sport bike riders!
Winger4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 12:36 PM   #15
derekb
Founding Member

Rebuttal? To what. This person is suggesting that you watch out for someone who is not watching out for themselves. That sounds like the correct course of action. They are not suggesting that you try to police them by blocking them or running them off the road.

What's the problem. Maybe every little comment about idiots on motorcycles shouldn't be taken so personal. Unless you you are one of those idiots. In that case please take it personal.
derekb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 01:50 PM   #16
seruzawa
The Toad

I would feel sorry for this shrinking violet who can't deal with people who are more alert and talented than she is, but I'll reserve my symapthy for the woman's poor students.
Old 07-04-2004, 02:05 PM   #17
kjam68
Registered Member

The point is very simple. If the cager kills you and a passenger you aren't the one to suffer. The cager and your loved ones you leave behind are another matter. We all speed at times, but every time I see someone weaving through traffic in a tank top, shorts, and flip-flops on a new "insert Japanese bike here" it makes me want to beat the idiots a**. We all look like dummies because of a few bad apples. The more I think about it, Harley guys very rarely wear the proper attire either! The point is simple, there are 2 kinds of riders, those who have had a spill and those that are going to have one. Don't end up in the ER getting skin grafts because you are a little warm. O.K., I feel better now.
kjam68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 02:18 PM   #18
kjam68
Registered Member

First of all, The Cruiser guys don't wear much more than shorts and t-shirts in this neck of the woods. Road rash doesn't discriminate between sport bikes and cruisers. Second, most people just don't like being passed. It's like starring a down a dog. People are more aggressive in their driving behavior as witnessed by attempting to merge into traffic in ANY city. This article should be titled " Yes, as a matter of Fact, my Lexus and I DO own the road". She needs to get an earfull from all of us that ride responsibly and well outfitted for the road.
kjam68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 02:46 PM   #19
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default The most impervious substance in the Universe

Forget about it my friend. You are dealing with an example of the hardest substance in the Universe to penetrate -- the psyche of a middle-aged woman all cranked up in a righteous cause (add points for elementary school teacher). People like this exist because we have done such a good job of making life easy in modern times that people who whould have had their hands full just getting by in times past now have enough time to find things to b*tch about. You have about as much chance of changing their minds as you do stopping the freeze-thaw cycle.

People like this are responsible for your kids getting taken away from you by child welfare if they show up at school with a band-aid, DUI's for 0.0000001 levels, the McMartin preschool scandal, recovered memory syndrome, and all manner of mischief. Of course when the day comes that they run over a biker in the old SUV that they didn't see because they were dialing up Marge to see what time the MADD meeting is that'll just be plumb bad luck.

I'm with you all the way on the sentiment but you are p*ssiing up a rope.

cheers

sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 03:20 PM   #20
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

With all of the talk about tatoos on women's backsides I assumed that the author was a man as Leslie is also a man's name. Now that others have made me aware of my oversight this whole premenstrual rant is put in it's proper perspective. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote