Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Paranoid News Clips (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/)
-   -   Anti-Motorcycle Rant (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/2441-anti-motorcycle-rant.html)

seruzawa 07-07-2004 11:53 AM

Re: Outwitting Squidly Nitwits?

Reminds me of my '67 250 Duck Scrambler that sucked a valve while running wide open down the Glendale Freeway. Fortunately there was a dealer that had an old head that he sold me for 50 bucks. A new piston and rings and a bore job and I was on the road for under $100 bucks (in 1972).

Imagine trying to keep those bikes running today at the cost of parts. (shudder).

Kuba 07-07-2004 11:54 AM

Re: Anti-Motorcycle Rant

Oh my God!

They might even be doing 85mph!

Oh my God!

I'm barely able control my cage and have to hang on to the wheel and concentrate real, real hard if I hear a loud noise!

Gimme a break

A rant against bikers and a plaintive cry for more driving lessons

seruzawa 07-07-2004 11:57 AM

Insurance premiums have nothing to do with what cagers "think". They have to do with actuarial data. This is why I pay $100 per year for insurance that would cost an 18 year old over $5000 for the same bike.

mscuddy 07-07-2004 12:35 PM

Re: Dezmoze

Yeah, the Ducati distributor was in Glendale, on San Fernando Rd. right where it makes the curve, before Chevy Chase. One of my dirt bike riding buddy's dad owned the place.

This was in 1974, and it was one of the early 450's that had the old DelOrto carb, where the float bowl bolted on (a copy of the dreaded Amal, but only worse, if that's possible).

I use to carry around one of those painted black English tire-irons that came in BSA tool kits, to beat on the float bowl, when the float got stuck open. Other riders use to ask me, how I got dents in the float bowl. If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.

Once, I took off a valve cover and peeked inside. I could see all kinds of gears, weird forked things, and adjusting screws, burnished to a nice blue/black color. Maybe from the Pep Boys "Pure as Gold" Motor oil I was running? Only the best for my Desmo...

It died a similar death. I suspect not having an air cleaner had something to do with it (dirt bike). Didn't have one when I bought it...just quit running. Clank.

seruzawa 07-07-2004 12:49 PM

Actually I got the head from Jack Simmons' delaership in Paramount. I tossed the delorto carb and bolted on a Mikuni I had laying around from my old Ksaki W2650. It fit almost perfectly! It ran pretty well after that and I ended up selling it to a guy for $250. He had it for a couple of years and sold it off.

Those old bevel gear shaft drive OHC heads were usually pretty reliable. I suspect the guy I bought it from had let it run low on oil which precipitated the blown head.

Then Ducati went and changed to the Desmo head and created what became known as the Ducati Time Bomb.

mscuddy 07-07-2004 01:21 PM

Yeah, I traded the 450 for another Italian bike of questionable quality, a 1965 175 Parilla.

It was painted in tasteful shades of green/yellow/orange, and had this giant, polished, finned aluminum oil sump.

I loaned it to a buddy, who also blew it up, on the infamous Glendale Freeway (right after the Colorado exit).

When I took it apart, I found the crank did a "vegematic" routing to the piston and con rod. They were all ground up, like cabbage, in that giant sump. Some safety design, to contain the forces of an exploding Parilla engine?

I traded the Parilla, and an old 150 Lambretta for a 441 Victor. Big mistake

mile_eater 07-07-2004 01:23 PM

Re: In Seattle on I-405 and I-5 CALL ME SEXIST PLEASE

Ya think we just think that when we see ya in the van?

tsrzad 07-07-2004 04:14 PM

i live in san fran, and my insurance agent cared more about the fairings that the displacement! you're right, though: mine went down when i truned 30, and when i got married.

i was thinking more in terms of the jackasses who render themselves invalids and become everyone's problem cost-wise.