Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 07-07-2004, 07:48 AM   #101
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Just plane nuts

Like any bunch of facts these need to be taken in context. The largest number of motorcyclists on the road, by far, are in this age group. This is also the group that makes up the majority of the sales for Harley-Davidson and all other companies that make cruisers, which make up the vast majority of streetbike sales in the United States. So what you really have is an increase in the number of riders in this age group, and a corresponding increase in the number of fatalities. Go figure.

The fact that only 40-50 percent of fatalities are in this age group is actually a pretty impressive vote in their favor. I'll bet at least 70% of the riders on the road are between 35 and 54.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2004, 07:49 AM   #102
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: I agree, not anti biker, she's just from Chicago

What's a FIP? I'm familiar with FIB, but not FIP.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:52 AM   #103
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Anti-Motorcycle Rant

I'll bet she's ugly with a front butt as well.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:17 AM   #104
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Loud pipes save lives! Maybe...
Old 07-07-2004, 10:41 AM   #106
seruzawa
The Toad

Ah crap. These people don't care if we get killed. They just hate the fact that we can toottle on down the road while they are stuck in their cages breathing diesel dust.

Ever notice how smug they sound when some biker eats it? They like it when we get injured. It validates their miserable cowardly middleclass existences.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:42 AM   #107
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Outwitting Squidly Nitwits?

Can't get much riding experience on a Jawa 90. Lots of maintenance experience, though.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:52 AM   #108
P-Ratt
Premium Member

Agreed
FZ1
P-Ratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 11:03 AM   #109
tsrzad
Registered Member

This a pretty reasonable response from the cagers; usually they blame all motorcyclists for society's ills. This kind of open-mindedness from a driver should be positively reinforced.

A rebuttal should begin with congratulating her for her concern and agree that irresponsible bikers suck.

There will always be idiots on 2 or 4 wheels. What about SUV drivers that exhibit the stereotypical personal entitlement complex that threatens the safety of eveyone else on the road? We do just what this author suggests: stay out of their way.

Why not ticket with big fines anyone not wearing proper gear? Maybe a 3 strikes you're out thing: 3rd time you're pulled over for wearing flip-flops and/or doubling the speed limit, you just gave your bike to the state. I know, big government can suck, but obviously we are not mature enough to exhibit self control. Yeah, you have to catch them first, but I'm sick of paying the price in bad attitudes and rediculous insurance premiums because non-riders think that anyone on a sportbike wants to get 'extreme' in the middle of traffic.

I have all the gear, have taken several rider safety/improvement courses, and intend to get some track days in, too. I love to go fast, but there's an appropriate time and place. I love gittin wit my wife often, but although no one would begrudge me that, nobody wants to see it at the grocery store, right?

Old 07-07-2004, 11:39 AM   #110
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Outwitting Squidly Nitwits?

Yes, it use to keep breaking the phenolic off the points, so I manufactured a set of solid steel points, made out of 1/4 bar stock, the contact, phenolic & pivot point from a honda 90, & the spring from an old stovebolt Chevy, all held together with a 440 screw.

The thing hauled ass though (when it ran). It had a 27mm downdraft Jikov, rotary valve, and 13.1 compression. Weighed 155 Lbs.

We use to call it the "excercycle", since for every mile you rode it, you had to push it for about three. Did build up the stamina, however.

It finally died, when it sucked the throttle cable through the engine, and shredded the rotary valve. I traded it for a thrashed 1970 RT 450 Desmo, with a bad top end.

But that's another story...