Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 06-14-2004, 03:18 PM   #1
daxdaway
Founding Member

Default Re: Do I need a Laser/Radar detector?

I'd say save the money and just look as far up as you can. Detectors just can't do anything but detect radio energy in that one band, and if you had the best one god could build, it'd still not save you 90% of the time because of things like instant-on, line-of-sight limitations, false alarms covering up real signals or annoying you so much you turn it off, and the fact that cops can tell your speed a bunch of other ways. I bought a Valentine One several years ago, and its got to be the best out there. It shows the direction the signal is coming from, number of "bogies" and has all kinds of neat features but aside from being a cool gadget for a tech lover, its pretty much useless. It sits in my glovebox somewhere rotting away. I HATE false alarms!! I'd rather just haul ass and take my chances. So if you want one let me sell you my valentine 'cause it works great and I sure don't want it anymore. Good luck
daxdaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2004, 03:49 PM   #2
wwalkersd
Founding Member

I'll second that. Maybe I hadn't chosen the proper settings, but my V1 was a really good shopping center detector, apparently triggering on the gizmos they use to open the door for you. Drove me nuts. And that's in a cage! On a bike, I think it'd be a dangerous distraction.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 03:53 PM   #3
fujinator
Founding Member

Default Instead of a laser/radar detector...

Kpaul,

Did you say anything to the cop (i.e. admit to anything)?

You're in the Puget Sound area, right?

Try www.mucklestone.com
fujinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 03:56 PM   #4
pdad13
Founding Member

Next time you take the controls and let your wife ride pillion.

pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 04:01 PM   #5
Buzglyd
Founding Member

As Nelson on the Simpsons says, "HA ha!"
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 04:19 PM   #6
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

My guess is that he accidentally found second gear and was busted for 35mph in a school zone. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 04:28 PM   #7
Winger4Life
Founding Member

Huh? I have a Valentine One and it has saved me four times now. I NEVER ride the highway without it.

If all you do is ride in the city, then yeah, you will get a lot of false alarms from any detector...but if you are riding in the city...what is the point of having a radar detector?

A radar detector works on the premise a cop looking to dole out speeding tickets is going to be clocking cars ahead of you...that is how you detect them. If you are the first person they shoot...you are screwed.

You have to learn how to play the game when the odds are in your favor. Light to moderate traffic. And be very alert. When that sucker goes off...hit the brakes.

My Gold Wing tops out at about 132mph under radar protection

Winger4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 04:58 PM   #8
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Instant On Laser

The cops around her all use that new instant on laser. When you detector goes off you might as well pull over and get your ticket.
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 05:03 PM   #9
kjam68
Registered Member

I have a Passport 8500 mounted on my 999 and it has saved my butt plenty of times. You still need to follow basic speeding rules (i.e. take it easy if you are on a road alone, try and stay in the right lane,etc.)but a good radar/ laser detector is a lifesaver. Lasers are a bit tougher to detect, however, they only work when the officer is stationary. They cannot be used through a windshield and are more expensive. Driving down the highway you usually get "Ka" band radar which is ALWAYS the man. Ka is the toughest to detect and requires a Passport or Valentine to get the best detection. The others are a waste of money. Check out radartest.com
kjam68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 05:39 PM   #10
gt750
Registered Member

Yes, go buy one. It has paid for itself, in my case, for sure. For motorcycle use I have found that I need a Detector with an ear phone. On the highway it is usually "K" Band that the police use. Any good detector will make different noises for different bands. False alarms are eusually "X" Band. Real Alarms are "K". Pretty easy. My detector has picked up a pulsed signal a mile and a quarter away! He must have pulsed the guy in front of me, because it came up on my rader as a weaker "K" Band signal. Then you know to slow down until you can figure out where the threat came from.

Radar Detectors do NOT always work, but if you speed it'll quickly pay for itself. As for "False Alarms". If on a regular route, you learn where to expect the false alarms. On the highway, it is fairly rare to even get false alarms.
gt750 is offline   Reply With Quote