Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 04-16-2004, 07:37 AM   #12
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Are Motorcycles Next?

667. The neighbor of the beast.

(Okay, okay. I stole that from somebody on the ZRXOA Web site. If I remembered his name, I'd give him due credit. Sorry.)
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 07:42 AM   #13
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

You've got to love Virginia. I didn't realize she had any other fans at MO. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 07:56 AM   #14
pdad13
Founding Member

The idea of someone being able to "spy" on my driving/riding habits really bothers me. If you catch me doing something wrong, fine I'll take the heat. But this kind of thing opens up all sorts of undesireable scenarios.

But you make an interesting point about the perception that bikes only kill their owners causing a regulatory indifference to motorcycles. It'll be interesting to see if this holds water in the future.

It could help explain why there doesn't seem to be a serious movment towards banning today's super high performance bikes. We're quickly approaching the day of the 200 mph street bike. Let's see how this begins to play out.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 08:27 AM   #15
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Well, we all applauded the use of the cars black box against Janklow (whats the follow up on that POS). Both his and this case involve a police investigation ito an accident. I don't have a problem with that. Now if a cop can pull me over and pluged into my bike (or cars) black box to see if I had been speeding I would object to that. Whats worse, with wireless LAN tech integrated into vehicles (its coming someday); my own vehicle could rat me out without my permission. A federal regulation would be all it took. Its the unknown dissemination of my private actions that get me a little spooked.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 08:46 AM   #16
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default my bike don't start?

The black boxes are integrated into the ignition systems and help the EFI computer adjust to the various engine loads. As such, just cutting the wire will not solve the problem.

However (and I am giving a business idea away for free) this does let some engineer type to make replacement black boxes that will encrypt the data, effectivly scrambling it, until the owner enters a password to keep it private.

Just pay for my MO subscriptions with the money you make
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 08:48 AM   #17
SRMark
Founding Member

You are innocent until proven guilty and the prosecution bears the responsibility of proving your guilt. You have the opportunity then to try to make it more difficult for the prosecution to prove the case against you through the actions of your elected officials. Since the general public elects those who write the laws and pay those who enforce them you, as a member of the motorcycling community, need to get used to the idea of increased loss of freedom. You have been, and will continue to be, in the minority. You tend to ride faster than is allowable. You are, therefore, prejudged to be guilty by your association with motorcycles. In this upcoming issue you have little defense and little hope of dodging the oncoming bullet. You better join the AMA if you harbor any hopes of a defense. You saw Janklow's results. If you do, you can turn the above "you"s into "we"s. Please do. We need your help.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 09:07 AM   #18
sarnali
Founding Member

any car with OBD2 diagnostic's already has this feature, engine speed and speedometer readings are recorded and stored. as well as ABS activation and air-bag deployment.

Big brother has been here and gone while we were asleep.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 09:13 AM   #19
SparkyBlue
Founding Member

Lots of good posts here. I dislike politics but see it as our only path to keep our freedom and privacy. Otherwise it could be "Give me liberty or give me death" and we've done that already.
SparkyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 09:13 AM   #20
mps165
Founding Member

I could care less if they but a box in and what the outcome is. If I get into an accident there is a high probability that I will be severly hurt or dead, so who cares. Moot conversation really.
mps165 is offline   Reply With Quote