Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 01-15-2004, 06:46 AM   #1
Andonyx
Registered Member

Default Re: Stunter hits & kills friend who was videotaping him.

It is a complex issue as has been pointed out, but I'm loathe to jump on a "blame the media explanation". I realize that is not necessarily what the topic is suggesting, but I maintain the same stance I do on this that I do with the lawsuits against Grand Theft Auto, and violent movies: If anyone is so influenced by a piece of fictional mass entertainment that they are persueded to do something dangerous, illegal, or just idiotic, then they are mis-wired to begin with.

I imagine this like many other things is a trend that will abate when those prone to unecessary risk taking find something else to move on to that provides an adrenaline fix.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2004, 06:46 AM   #2
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Let social Darwinism take it's course. There are already too many laws on the books, that if enforced would stop this particular kind of idiocy. Absolutely no one will benefit from the passage on new laws but their bureaucratic enforcers. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 06:58 AM   #3
Elseanno
Founding Member

I'm sorry about the professional photographer you mention. Sadly accident happen. The stunter and his amatuer buddy I have a little less sympathy for. Retards putting themselves and the public in danger on public roadways are selfish in the extreme. In addition to the potential to hurt themselves (thier problem) the risk my life/saftey too. That pisses me off.

As for movies.....While I wholeheartedly agree that Dorque was made to appeal to mouth breathers, it is not an instruction manual. People must be accoutable for thier own actions. We can't blame movie makers for selling what sells. Action and sex. If the idiots watching don't understand that the movies are make believe, I don't think that the film makers' should be blamed when said viewers do the old, "Hey Vern, watch this!"

Sadly, the mouthbreathers will always be with us. Thing is they breed WAY faster than the rest of us, mainly due to thier inability to look at the consequenses of thier actions. Breeding is a reallly basic activity, so they are proficient at it while thinking is more difficult. We, the superior MO readers, need to begin breeding at a higher rate so that we're not over run by the mouth breathers.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Elseanno
Elseanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 07:05 AM   #4
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I feel as long as "Motorcycling is inherently dangerous" for only the rider, then no law is necessary for that. If somone falls and hurts themselves by not wearing protective gear, they are not risking any life or limbs but their own. They know the risks and decided what was best for them. Same on a racetrack. All the participants are willing victims if there is a high speed accident. Since you signed up, there is no beef there. I have no qualms about riding on the street aggressively, as I do it myself, but excessive speeding and stunts on the street give many people the impression that these guys are risking more than their own lives. When innocent people start to die, or get injured, like bystanders or other people in other vehicles, then the Gov is going to crack down. The media love stories like this to just bring things further down than they already are. The big difference with this and helmet laws is an unwilling victim never died from a rider not wearing a helmet. Hopefully these incedents will be few and far between enough not to catch any more attention.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:06 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

What happens when you add two idiots a motorcycle and a videocamera together, Alex?

If you want to tape stunts, try standing TO THE SIDE of the direction the motorcycle is travelling.

Never underestimate the ingenuity and dedication that idiots can demonstrate when it comes to killing themselves off.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:20 AM   #6
jaffaboy
Founding Member

Default that was the reason why "zoom" was invented.

Kidding aside, like every other thing you do, you should consider safety. If you want to be a jack ass, consider the risks. It's a pitty someone had to die for it.
jaffaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 07:24 AM   #7
DeadVFR
Founding Member

I blame Real TV! Not really. Real TV (and the like) is only a venue for showing stupid kids coming up with spectacular ways of maiming themselves and others.

Stupid behavior will always exist. Its just that video camera has given us the ability to record stupidity for posterity, and disseminate that stupidity in action to the general public.

Of course, one has to delve into the definition of stupid as well. I would qualify stupid as a total disregard for the laws of physics and nature. Standing in the middle of a road -- a thing known to contain high speed objects of unintentional death -- while a motorcycle with its primary mechanism of directional control disabled due to wheelie-ing, is hurtling at you, is just plain stupid.

You could say that people don't know they are being stupid because they don't have the experience to know how dangerous things are. Au contraire! We get a 'rush' from doing exhilarating things because we know and feel that they ARE dangerous, yet somehow we do things at survive. Eventually the exciting becomes the mundane, and we go find yet another level of danger to challenge and survive.

All that said, I've come to the conclusion that there must be some natural law that makes it impossible for a squid to NOT take out somebody else when they crash.
DeadVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 07:29 AM   #8
pplassm
Founding Member

Just waiting for Mister Allcaps to post here......
Old 01-15-2004, 07:41 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Who do you think was riding the bike?
Old 01-15-2004, 07:42 AM   #10
SparkyBlue
Founding Member

Stupidity is a self correcting/terminating problem... sometimes
SparkyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote