Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 01-04-2001, 02:11 PM   #1
coyn586
Founding Member

Default Re: Arai Offers Joey Dunlop Replicas

Personally, I think for 600 bucks, they could have at least put the replica in the form of an RX7RR4 helmet. I like the simplicity of the Joey Dunlop helmet, but I do not like the 600 dollar price tag on a basically plain jane Quantum helmet, that you can get for like 325 or less, and have it painted.

just my two cents
coyn586 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2001, 04:05 PM   #2
coyn586
Founding Member

Are you going to buy this helmet?

by the way....Joey's helmet was an RX7RR type. I was a huge fan of Joey Dunlop, and was sad at the news of his passing. This helmet is way cool and stuff, but just too much money for what you are getting, unless you are collecting it.

Why don't you go look up the word "*******" in the dictionary...next to it you will more than likely find a picture of yourself..and your dog!
Old 01-04-2001, 04:59 PM   #3
Mino
Founding Member

Well, charity or not, I think the whole idea of a replica is that it should be EXACTLY like the original. If the paint scheme is the same, but on a different model, they should sell it as a "Jim Dunlop look alike", not a "replica".

Anyway, great idea from Arai.

Mino
Mino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 06:02 PM   #4
kman
Founding Member

Doh! Forgot to login when I made that post.
kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 09:14 PM   #5
coyn586
Founding Member

Thats what I am saying.....If they are going to make a replica of his helmet, they should at least make one of the same type Joey actually wore... I actually talked to my fiance about a month ago about the possibility of Arai making a JD helmet....she looked at it and said "but it doesn't even match your leathers/race bike." I was like yeah, but it would be like wearing Joeys helmet.. But in Quantum form, for 600 bucks, I believe that is actually more than what they charge for any other race replica in that form.....and its a simpler helmet to make...The cool thing I guess is that any money coming from this helmet is the charity stuff...but that is not the only factor in buying a helmet...especially as a racer on a budget.
Old 01-05-2001, 05:48 AM   #6
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

If your parents were refugees in Bosnia, I'm sure he would go out of his way to assist them (as he did with many others.)
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2001, 06:01 AM   #7
kman
Founding Member

World Superbike racer and record-holding Isle of Man TT race winner Joey Dunlop was killed Sunday, July 2, 2000 during an international race weekend in Tallinn, Estonia.

Dunlop was leading the 125cc race when he crashed on the second lap. He had won the 600cc race on Saturday and the Superbike race earlier on Sunday at the 3.7-mile public roads circuit on the outskirts of the Estonian capital. The 48-year-old rider from Northern Ireland died instantly. Racing at the event was cancelled following the crash.

Dunlop scored his record 26th win at the Isle of Man TT races just three weeks ago. He began racing in 1969 and was a factory Honda rider for the past 18 years. The father of five was recently honored with awards for his humanitarian work in war-torn countries.

(clip from eSportbike.com)

kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 10:17 AM   #8
MrCrashHappy
Founding Member

Default The 411

I had the opportunity to speak with an Arai technical representative the other day. Not only did she kindly replace gratis the IC2 I had accidentally cracked on my new lid, but we also talked a little about the Joey. She said the additional mark-up was added to make donations to the Dunlop family. She further stated that their dealers, every last one of them, offering the Joey was not sending in the donation mark-up -- they were sending in the entire $600! They will have my respect and business for life. Good on ye, Arai.

Regards, Mr. Crash Happy
MrCrashHappy is offline   Reply With Quote