Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 12-28-2003, 05:07 PM   #81
LocutusDeBorg
Founding Member

Default Re: Astrophysical factoid:

Ok, you jr scientists must have figured it out... but ya know, the vast bulk of the scientific community supports the idea of man -made global warming.

I'm gonna listen to them.
LocutusDeBorg is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-28-2003, 05:52 PM   #82
Mr_Bigglesworth
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Pollution Standards Changed

I appreciate your comments, and I'm still following the business plan I created as a long-time enthusiast and employee in the industry before becoming a dealer, i.e. an enthusiast's destination dealership instead of a warehouse store.

Furthermore, as an MMI-trained master mechanic, I've got a pretty good idea of how a service department is run and how to spot a competent and diligent mechanic. If my customers are paying $70 -$80 /hr they deserve quality, and that's my responsibility. I also know that it's definitely in my own best interest to keep the good mechanics as happy as possible and avoid turnover.
Mr_Bigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 05:05 AM   #83
pushrod
Founding Member

Default Well, since no one else has...

EGlide,

How ya gonna pay for the Prius?

Ya gonna "Charge it"?

HAR!

One issue no one has addressed on the hybrid bike is the amount of power it'll take to drive the loudspeaker that makes engine noises. I assume the designers will have Thumper, Vertical and V-twin (H-D and Metric), Triple and Inline 4 soundtracks available.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 05:53 AM   #84
Haird
Founding Member

I completely agree that resorting to lies is counterproductive in that it destroys credibility and with it the possibility of accomplishing futre good. Unfortunately, willfull distortion and exaggeration of risks to motivate action is a daily part of our political discourse, and one that I woudl very much like to see stop.
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 05:53 AM   #85
seruzawa
The Toad

The bulk of them also believed other "truths":

Margarine is better for you than butter.

Heavier than air flight is impossible.

Faster than sound flight is impossible.

Flight to the moon is impossible.

Germs causing disease is impossible.

Maintaining clean conditions during surgery is unnecessary.

Shall I continue?
Old 12-29-2003, 06:17 AM   #86
Haird
Founding Member

If it ain't falsifiable, it ain't science. Scientific knowledge advances by comparing theoretical predictions to observations and adjusting the theories or adopting new ones to better explain and predict observable phenomena. On the question of whether air pollution contributes to global warming, the information does not appear complete enough to conclusively say that there is -- or is not-- a relationship. Given this state of ignorance, and that the consequences of global warming are potentially catastrophic, I'm left wondering if it might not be prudent to do what we can to mitigate it -- particularly given that the other known benefits of the measures being proposed to address the problem (or perhaps I should say risk, since the outcome is at best questionable given our current state of knowledge).
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 06:42 AM   #87
LocutusDeBorg
Founding Member

I'm not sure why you'd want to.... Not only are you not making a valid point, you're not making any sense.

If you don't understand how science works you should have paid more attention in high school.

Just because you can dream up some kind of mechanism to confound a global warming scenario doesnt mean it isn't happening.
LocutusDeBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 06:49 AM   #88
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Charge it.

Took me a couple of seconds but I get it.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 06:57 AM   #89
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Triumph Rocket III

I just love the look of that bike. Went down to talk to the local Trumpet dealer and he says that Triumph is only going to make bikes to fill hard orders for the first year. 16K dollars. I've always loved the look of the motors mounted that way. Indian did it way back when and I've always thought that to be their best looking bike. Anyway, the Rocket III is very well named considering the 140/147 numbers that are advertised.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 09:14 AM   #90
seruzawa
The Toad

What? Examples of the "best authorities" being completely wrong are pointless?

Science is determined by majority vote? LOL!