Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 12-27-2003, 12:36 PM   #61
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default 8 year warranty on the battery pack

Reportedly (all that I've read) the only failures with the Prius battery so far have been a few that were defective in the first place and these were under warranty as the 2000 Prius is covered until 2008. I read of one being drilled into by some knucklehead that was installing a CD player or some such thing and used it as a grounding post. The Prius internet sites have reported these batteries having no problems on cars with over 200,000 miles on them. Apparently the computer program that keeps it charged is doing a credible job of keeping the battery pack in mint shape. Replacement cost is said to be around 3K but will go down as volume of cars increases (which they are). Don't forget, you won't have to bother with any battery replacement cost on the Prius until after 8 years. That's a good warranty.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-27-2003, 12:43 PM   #62
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default General Motors

They are going to use the older pre-2004 Toyota hybrid drive from what I hear. Hard to believe that they have slipped that bad as to having to use Toyota technology. Honda has a hybrid program with the Civic hybrid and the Honda Insight two seater. I've driven the Civic hybrid and it's alright. I've heard over the internet that the Civic hybrid is only getting at most 35 mpg. I've already read reports saying owners have been getting 60 and 70 mpg on the highway with the 2004 Prius. My folk got 60 mpg driving 270 miles from Omaha back to Iowa City, Iowa and the car was right off the lot.
Old 12-27-2003, 12:46 PM   #63
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Good article on Prius

http://www.larchmontgazette.com/2003...iusreview.html
Old 12-27-2003, 01:02 PM   #64
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Prius warranty correction

The Prius nickel-metal hydride battery is upgraded, too, to a 500-volt maximum, up from 273.6 volts. Toyota officials also said they bench-tested this battery pack to 150,000 miles without degradation and added there is an eight-year/100,000-mile warranty on the powertrain battery on top of the comprehensive car warranty of three years/36,000 miles.

That first paragraph was from this link http://www.evworld.com/databases/sho...=news121103-05

Old 12-27-2003, 01:09 PM   #65
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default From Motor Trend Magazine

Motor Trend

Toyota Motor Sales USA has announced a 31% increase in production of its second-generation Prius petrol-electric hybrid hatchback to meet demand.

The original production plan for the 2004 calendar year was 36,000 units but, with 12,000 pre-orders received before the vehicle launched in mid-October and approximately 10,000 units delivered in its first six weeks on sale, it became necessary to boost output to 47,000 units annually.

Said TMS senior vice president and general manager Don Esmond: "With record-shattering sales in both October and November, and no sign of demand letting up, it became clear we had underestimated our early sales projections. If 47,000 units is still too low, another request for additional production from our Tsutsumi plant in Japan may be necessary."

(C) Copyright 1999-2003 just-sites.com

Old 12-27-2003, 01:12 PM   #66
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Prius tech is making toyota moola.

2004 Prius is not being sold at a loss.
Old 12-27-2003, 04:23 PM   #67
Mr_Bigglesworth
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Pollution Standards Changed

If you go out of business because of large firms discounting a product, itÂ’s not the fault of the consumer. No it isn't. If you're looking at a purchase purely as a commodity, it's perfect sense to buy the cheapest. But guys like F451 cross the line when they throw out terms like gouging, or come in waving a quote from a $50 over invoice warehouse two hours away in the sticks and get indignant when I refuse to match that quote.

On the other hand, there's nothing stopping me from dropping my lease today on my attractive, visible, well-lit facilty, move to a nearby grungy industrial warehouse and throwing the bikes out the door at cost plus $50. Not to mention fire all my experienced employees and replace them with lowest-cost paperwork people. In pure business terms, that's probably what I should do. I could make my bike shop about as fun to visit as the typical car dealership - I'd double my income and you'd get your bikes a little cheaper.

But then none of my customers would particularily enjoy the place, feel a sense of community, get any useful information about bikes, gear, events, service and so on.

As you suggest, market forces will make that decision for me.
Mr_Bigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 04:26 PM   #68
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Hmmm

With the resale value of used Japanese bikes it's almost like stealing one.

The RX-8 was sublime. I'm a former RX-7 owner. I love the rotary engine. Sadly, my Mazda was stolen while listening to a jazz band in La Jolla of all places. Apparently there weren't any fancy things to steal so they thieved and stripped my cheap car.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 04:30 PM   #69
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default So how does the Belchfire 1000R compare to....

the SV650, Concours or a VFR (used one)?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 05:52 AM   #70
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Pollution Standards Changed

Mr Bigglesworth, please don't can all your experianced and knowledgeable staff. As far as the grungy warehouse that's your choice. A dealership with a good staff and decent parts inventory that sells at MSRP, will get my buisness every time over the discount chuck-em-out-the-door shop.

By the time I'm ready to make a purchase I already know what I want, and don't need to "be sold", what I want is thorough product knowledge and a shop with an inventory of commonly needed items. I understand the need to special order some parts and accessories but things like filters and brake pads and what-not should always be in stock.

As a customer nothing ticks me off more than " Um we're out of stock filters, but we have this one that should fit" kind of thing. Or a service department that can't perform common maintainance properly.

A case in point is awhile back my 1200 bandit was due for a valve check. Now this is a simple job, with screw and locknut adjusters that I usualy did myself, but at that time I was very busy at work with overtime and all, so I took the bike into the selling dealer.

When I got the bike back it ran fine, but each time I started it cold I saw a wisp of smoke from around the plugs. I assumed it was a little spilled oil or anti-sieze, so no problem. After a few times I realized there shouldn't be anything left on there to burn off, so I pulled the tank and found two plugs finger tight and the rest not much tighter. Not a big deal in itself, but It got me wondering what else they forgot.

The point is if I'm going to pay you to have work done, you'd better be at least as competant as me doing it. Obviously I don't think this would happen at your shop, and I know you can't look over your employees shoulders all day long, but you must realize there's two sides to every coin. I don't mind paying full price to support a dealership that I feel will provide good support down the road, but I won't buy from a shop I don't like no matter how fancy or discounted your product is.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote