Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 12-25-2003, 02:20 AM   #11
southwindphoto
Registered Member

Default great

[b] Best explanation of car/bike emissions IÂ’ve ever read

Thanks,

Member of
Florida Outdoors Writers Association
Harley Owners Group
southwindphoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-25-2003, 08:11 AM   #12
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Pollution Standards Changed

We'll maybe need catalytic converters. If Toyota can make Hybrid cars that get 60mpg and qualify for ulev and zelev in California then motorcycle manufacturers should be able to do it also. I'd ride a hybrid bike. I'd love to get 100+ mpg. Electric motors have full torque from the get go. At the least they could throw some money in that direction and see where it leads. Things will change and people will resist but that it is the nature of life. Resistance is futile.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 04:43 PM   #13
obandoj
Founding Member

Very good point, I would not mind seeing some constructive progress.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 05:02 PM   #14
boru4761
Registered Member

I second that. Motorcycles with their low weight would make a great test bed for new hybrid drivetrains. So, companies like Honda and Toyota (with their buddies at Yamaha) could test a hybrid tech they dont think is quite ready for the car market in a super touring Burgman-type scooter that gets 150 miles to the gallon.
boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 08:21 PM   #15
12ball
Founding Member

Modification of Exhaust Systems

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

Amended Sec. 10, Ch. 92, Stats. 2001. Effective January 1, 2002.

because according to the calif. vehicle code the noise limit for all motorcycles made after 1985 is 80dbA which means technically anyone with a modified exhaust that's louder is in violation of the law. let's hope they never catch on. 80dbA isn't as loud as 90% of the harleys nor a nice two bros setup...

more often than not this is used as a trump card if they want to harrass you or find a reason to pull you over. they're not going around just ticketing people for being loud because they've already busted all the drug dealers and murderers.

12ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 09:37 PM   #16
arnoha
Founding Member

Default Hybrid bike

Interesting thought, but I think mass is the big factor here. Add 400 lbs to a car in batteries and motor, and it gets noticed, but not much. Add 200 lbs to a bike in batteries, motor, etc., and you have a bike that is a dog. Also, you'd need all the gear for regenerative braking, especially on the front wheel, where most of the braking is done. 20 lbs more unsprung weight on the front end is a killer.
arnoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 01:03 AM   #17
rock06r
Founding Member

The idea that hybrid motorcycles are the answer is, at first glance, exciting and very interesting. However, technologically we are just not anywhere near that yet. The few technology demonstrators that I've ever seen had a max range of about 50 miles (1/2 hour) and were not hybrids, just electric. A fully hybrid bike would probably be the size of a Goldwing, having TWO motors (electric and conventional to recharge the batteries), plus stuck full of all kinds of electric batteries. This would, of course, also cause a few other problems, like let's say you get rear-ended by a cager, land in front of your bike, and the bike ends up on top of you while spilling battery liquids (who knows what's in there..) all over you. I mean, broken bones and a concussion are bad enough, but battery acid in your wounds??
rock06r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 03:09 AM   #18
Winger4Life
Founding Member

What state is that from?

I know some townships around here are talking about passing ordinances which ban 'loud' bikes. Like someone else posted, the only way to enforce things like this would be to do followup checks, perhaps when you get state inspection.

What about all these cars people put loud mufflers on nowadays?
Winger4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 04:44 AM   #19
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Re: Hybrid bike

I would agree if I thought anywhere near 200 lbs would be added to a bike. My thinking is that hybrid cars such as the Prius (mine should be delivered next week) need only enough power in each component of the hybridized powertrain to give it the comparative zip of a normal car of similar size. With that being the case, a motorcycle hybrid only needs about 250cc engine coupled to a thin electric motor and only enough batteries as necessary. Include regenerative brakes and solar cells to trickle charge while parked and there you've got it. I've read that the regenerative brakes on the Prius actually keep the brake pads from actually making contact with the rotors except in emergency hard braking. A bike like this may not be for every biker, but then you name a bike that is. I for one would love to get on a bike and not think about gassing up for 5 or 6 hundred miles. That would make motorcycles a more pratical alternative for many more non-biker types. The new Prius doesn't even have a conventional transmission. It utilizes a planetary gear set that continually sends the power where it is need. Some to the wheels and some to the battery. My parents new 2004 Prius was picked up here in Omaha and driven 270 miles back to Iowa City, Iowa and got 60 mpg. Brand new car. My dad says that with over 300 miles on it he topped the tank off with only a little over 5 gallons. It has a bladder tank to eliminate any problem of condensation. Also a non-belted electric air conditioner. It's a marvel. A motorcycle should be easy to hybridize.
Old 12-26-2003, 04:55 AM   #20
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Hybridized bike

Before you start talking like the American car manufacturers about what or what not is possible you should take the time to read all you can about the technology underlying the 2004 Toyota Prius. You are so wrong about not being anywhere near the ability of hybridizing a motorcycle. It would be easy compared to a car in my estimation. The batteries on the Prius are completely insulated yet provide something like 500volts. You worry about acid yet you probably have no problem straddling 3 to 5 gallons of highly volatile, thereby explosive gasolene on your bike every time you ride.