Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 12-29-2003, 11:01 PM   #111
12ball
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Pollution Standards Changed

the california vehicle code. it's at http://www.dmv.ca.gov .

i'd be guessing as to the loud pipes on everyone but that's been around since hot rods as well. i'm sure some of it's come from the fact that bikes are doing it and having something hopped up just wouldn't seem to be so if it still sounded stock. part of crowing about your testosterone level is the volume of the crow...

12ball is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-29-2003, 11:08 PM   #112
12ball
Founding Member

yeah what ironmike said!

the automobile industry has one of the strongest and most effective lobbies influencing our government. since we as a community don't have as loud a voice as they do they're listened to by the lawmakers who are going on what they hear (read: follow the money).

so in a way all the brand-specific/harley vs. japcrap/cruiser vs sportbike focus bites us all in the ass since we're not as cohesive as the auto interests.

Old 12-29-2003, 11:11 PM   #113
12ball
Founding Member

check this link out. yamaha has a 50cc scooter running on a fuel cell. sure, it's a scooter but it's a start. courtesy of http://www.neobike.net

http://www.gizmo.com.au/public/News/...articleid=2315

Old 12-30-2003, 05:55 AM   #114
pushrod
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph Rocket III

I'm with you. I'm on my second Sprint ST (first one was totalled by a Subaru), and I love it! If you get one, and are buying a new hat, check out the ARAI with the Cathcart paint. In person, as pictures don't do it justice.

By the way, the store I bought my new bike at has a new '02 Trophy for $8499 out the door! Their site is: http://www.southernpowersports.com/i..._inventory.htm

They do not charge sales tax, you pay that when you get the bike registered. Talk to Dave. No, I don't get a kick-back... he just treated me right.

He says, BTW, he has heard the production RIII looks just like the show bike. He hasn't heard anything about accessories, but he guarantees there will be a raft of them.

Have a Happy and Safe New Year!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 08:34 AM   #115
grover750
Founding Member

Default Re: Hybridized bike

Why would you get pleasure out of the problems of people driving hybrid cars? Would you be mad if these cars routinely went 300,000 miles and a safe and environmentally sound method was developed to dispose of the batteries?

Mad because they didn't burn enough gas? Didn't send enough money to OPEC?

Throw away import vehicles? Have you checked the resale value of a 5 year old Taurus (or intrepid, or grand prix) vs. a 5 year old Accord (or camry, or maxima, or passat)?

grover750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 08:48 AM   #116
wrecks
Founding Member

Default Re: Best post here. Kudos to Honda and Toyota

GM will make a comeback now that they've canned Zarella and his team of P&G brand manager goons that don't know shiite about cars or engineering. Now they've got Robert Lutz giving engineering a place in upper management. A few simple changes in structure will make for a much better product. IE: teaming manufacturing engineers with automotive engineers to eliminate the bottleneck at the top. In the 80's and 90's they somehow forgot that simply building a better product can win them more market share. Too bad they have a couple decades of catching up to do.

I really think that there are only 2 reasons the domestics still sell as many units as they do: 1. huge fleet accounts (which aren't as profitable) and 2. a huge dealer network with a store in every little town across north America
wrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 08:53 AM   #117
wrecks
Founding Member

Default Are you sure about that?

There wouldn't be as much demand for a bike that has more torque, is quieter, and uses less fuel (nevermind about the emissions). Once the technology has come along enough that there aren't adverse effects to weight, handling, or cost, then why the hell not? You'll be buying a hybrid motorcycle without even knowing it. They won't neccesarily be marketed as such, but the technology wil creep it's way into all IC motor vehicles. Just you watch.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:56 AM   #118
wrecks
Founding Member

Default Re: Hybrid bike

The regenerative braking simply bypasses the actual brakes to use the g"electrical resistance" of the generator(charging the batteries), there is no extra hardware required at the wheel assembly.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:23 AM   #119
DannyZRC
Founding Member

Default Re: Are you sure about that?

More Torque? that's the cruiser crowd.

what does the cruiser crowd like? old tech. reliable tech.

you are absolutely not going to find a core market with the torque crowd.

aren't adverse effects to handling, weight, cost? that's surely an easy 3 items to bat your eyes at. of course it doesn't matter how heavy it is, you're holding it up right?. handling has nothing to do with your ability to safely negotiate hazards and obstacles.. and cost, oh that's completely immaterial!

Hybrids run their engines at their peak torque values, that's where they give the best power per fuel(e.g. economy). out here in motorcycle land, that's really loud, and the luxury of large elaborate mufflers is not one we can call our own. To top it all off, the Prius barely has any economy advantage at cruising velocities, it's cards are all stacked towards getting economy in traffic, something that motorcyclists in the most congested areas of the world already have an advantage in.

you are so blindly underestimating issues with scaling it's baffling. Next time you feel like making a comment on something this far out of your depth, dont. I don't need any hybrid tag-along flag wavers raining their condescension down on the rational masses.
DannyZRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 10:48 AM   #120
wrecks
Founding Member

Default Re: Are you sure about that?

It isn't condescention, Dan. It's fact. HYbrid technology is only in its infancy at this stage. But the basic principle of it will trickle down ito all of our automobiles, motorcycles included. It is not radical gimickry, but simply an evolutionary step in automotive engineering. While the current hybrid customer base may consist mostly of early adopters, technophile geeks, self-righteous celebrities, and hippies, you will one day purchase a hybrid vehicle in some form or another.

You missed my point regarding handling, weight, and cost. What I was trying to say was that the technology will continue to advance to a point where those three categories are not affected. You'll find my posts make more sense when you read more than every third word.

Not all hybrids run their gas engines constantly at peak torque output. Perhaps you don't know the difference between a parallel and series hybrid.

A parallel hybrid (like the prius) can run its gas and electric propulsion systems independently of each other. From a dead stop, The prius is only using its electric motor. Which is of course, silent, and makes it's peak torque of 236 pound-feet at zero RPM. It runs its gas engine at peak torque value at highway speeds because it uses a stepless continuously variable transmission. That transmission can naturally gear itself extremely tall, which, when combined with all of that torque and slippery drag coefficient, make for an impressive top speed. I was a passenger in a prius doing an indicated 190 km/h. Do motorcyclists like to go fast? Yes the Prius has a distinct advantage in traffic (no idling and more use of electric motor) but it still gets a real 60mpg on the highway. This is "barely any economy advantage"?

A series hybrid (like the insight and civic hybrid) uses a more conventional drive system whereby an electric motor assists the gas engine on acceleration and recaptures energy normally lost as heat in braking. It's brilliant in its simplicity. A single disc about 3/4 inch thick does the job of:

1. electric propulsion motor

2. generator/alternator

3. starter motor

4. clutch and flywheel

This is the technology that could easily be transferred to motorcycles. Any motorcycle, not just big cruisers. It's simple, lightweight, relatively cheap (if you ditch the regenerative braking hardware, which is effective but not neccesary) Consumers, given the choice to have more power with greater efficiency (without having to pay a big premium) will go for it. It isn't going to happen right away, but evolution has always been slow.

If you want a debate do some goddamned research before you mouth off next time. I don't tag along and I am most certainly not out of my depth on this issue.

It's way too easy to argue with luddites.