Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 12-29-2003, 09:48 AM   #91
pushrod
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph Rocket III

Have you seen one yet? I think Sarnali said they had one (in Seattle?), as well as the Thruxton.

I'm waiting for the Atlanta show.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-29-2003, 10:29 AM   #92
ValknMag
Founding Member

Default Re: Fantasy for now

First off, I think that there would be a far bigger impact on pollution if money were spent getting pre-1980's cars off the road (then pre-1990's, and so on) than squeezing automakers into lower limits. Let them 'buy' pollution credits--for every 5,000 oil burners they buy and crush, they get an extra year to comply or something.

Secondly, 87 octane gas was $1.54 over the weekend. I'm going to guess that based on size, performance, etc. you pay a $5000 premium for hybrid technology. 5000 dollars/1.54 dollars per gallon = 3,246.75 gallons of fuel. 40 miles per gallon * 3.246.75 gallons = 129,870 miles to make your money back. That's almost 11 years, based on 12,000 miles typically driven. I don't think fuel savings are much of a sales point for these. I applaud and support the environmental friendliness, but it's a tough sale from an economics standpoint.
ValknMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 10:58 AM   #93
lukam
Founding Member

Default Re: Uh, hold on.....

SOx cause acid rain not NOx, sulfer is in significant quantites in coal not gasoline.

Sorry your not the only person to knows organic chemistry or inorganic for that matter..
lukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 11:16 AM   #94
lukam
Founding Member

Default Re: General Motors

GM had a completely electric car in the late 1990s with heavy support from the manufacturer. They were bashed for the high cost even though it had technology far ahead of Toyota. Now GM is trying to get back into the market that they surpassed since the public wasn't ready for it. Just leave it to the Japanese to provide older tech and manipulate the tree-huggers and stupid american public into thinking that they started the whole thing. LOL makes me crack up when I here the greenies spew the crap they just read out of USA Today over they non-fat, non sugar lattes.......
Old 12-29-2003, 11:20 AM   #95
lukam
Founding Member

Default Re: Hybridized bike

I can't wait until 5 hears down the road when these morons cannot sell there cars due to better vehicles out on the market and no junk yards will take the pieces of crap due to the hazardous waste issue. Somehow GM and Ford will be blamed and you will have just more throw away import vehicles... hey that sounds just like any 3+ yearold crotch rocket. Damn this is too good of a thread... keep the BS coming losers...
Old 12-29-2003, 11:27 AM   #96
wrecks
Founding Member

Default Big box dealers

Don't worry, the supermegamart dealers will make all of their margin back in their business office. Extended warranty? Bank loan reserves? Pre-paid service? 3M chipguard? All much more profitable than the measly gross in the bike. Don't even get me started about the mark-up in accessories and parts. The sales profits are nowhere near as much as the fixed operations profits. Personally, I don't mind paying more up-front (not a grand, mind you)to the mom and pop dealer that won't try to gouge me in the box.
wrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 11:31 AM   #97
lukam
Founding Member

Default Re: Astrophysical factoid:

I totally agree. THE VAST BULK OF SCIENTIFIC COMMUNITY ONCE THOUGHT THE EARTH WAS FLAT.

God I love mathmatics....until it is PROVED it is basically guessing....
Old 12-29-2003, 11:31 AM   #98
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Re: Triumph Rocket III

Only in pictures but I'm a believer so far. Some people think it's ugly but I can't understand why. Triumph sure listens to a different drummer and I guess I hear it too.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 11:54 AM   #99
wrecks
Founding Member

Default Re: Hybrid bike

Regenerative braking wouldn't add any mass. It is a computer logarythm (sp?) Moreover, regenerative braking is not essential to a hybrid, it just happens to be a common feature on the hybrids we know.

Regenerative braking works using computer-controlled brake-by wire hardware to bypass the brakes (on initial braking input by the driver) to the generator where it creates a heavy draw, simulating what we know as compression braking, which slows the vehicle and helps charge the batteries. The computer decides how much to combine the actual brakes with the effect of the generator to stop the vehicle. Typically, as the car is nearing a complete stop, the regenerative braking disengages and the conventional brakes take over completely.

This wouldn't add unprung weight to a bike, but it would screw up the feel of the brakes, which is much more dangerous on a bike than in a car.

You could make a "series hybrid" (like the insight) motor in a motorcycle without adding very much weight at all. The technology is really quite simple: Combine the functions of flywheel, clutch, starter motor, and alternator/generator into one slightly thicker disc. The only disadvantage would be the increased flywheel effect, from the added weight of the copper coils. This wouldn't be a problem on a tourer or cruiser but might hurt the performance of a revvy sportbike.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:57 AM   #100
wrecks
Founding Member

Default Re: Hybrid bike

It uses a nickel-metal hydride battery pack. Hybrid components are warrantied 100k miles/8 years.