Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 12-22-2003, 10:19 AM   #1
seruzawa
The Toad

Default No big deal.....

This particular appeal is used all the time. Sometimes they get lucky. Depends on the Appeals Court. It's nothing out of the ordinary and it would be surprising if they didn't try it. They've got nothing to lose and Jackloff, like most ex-governors and US Reps, has stolen so many millions that he can probably afford unlimited appeals.

Don't forget that the lawyers are going to try every appeal possible as long as Jackloff's money holds out. They even try stuff they know won't work just to keep those billable hours up.

An old saying in law is that the cost of a good defense is everything you have.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-22-2003, 10:30 AM   #2
F451
Founding Member

Default JAIL JANKNOFF

We all know this jerk would try every last resort including filing enough times to where everyone is sick to death of him using such stall tactics. I especially like the fact he's resigning and then two days later receives his sentence. I guess his legal defense feels the court will look at him and say he's suffered enough now that he resigned. Well, bull$hit, a man died because of Janknoff and others have suffered too. His sorted past gets even murkier the more one delves into it. I say hang this fat SOB, but I fear the rope would snap. I'm not done writing to SD about this and will not stop until true justice has been served.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 12:58 PM   #3
orcyclist
Founding Member

Default Re: Janklow Update - trying to weasal out of it again.

You must remember that it is the job of a defense counsel to try everything within the bounds of the law to represent the interests of their client.

Seen in this light the tactic is a normal and expected. If you were in J's shoes wouldn't you want your lawyer to make the same argument?
Old 12-22-2003, 02:27 PM   #4
GrufRude
Registered Member

That issue is a waste of his money if pursued on appeal, but court rules almost always require that the point be raised in the trial court, generally at the close of evidence and then again after the jury verdict is rendered to preserve it for appeal -- and the trial lawyer will be accused of incompetence if he DOESN'T "make the record." Strictly a 'pro forma' thing and it means nothing as a practical matter.
GrufRude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 02:48 PM   #5
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Get a rope

Interesting concept, in Washington state the lawyers for Michael Rupe succesfully argued that the state couldn't hang him because between the time he murdered two bank tellers, and the time he was schedualed to hang he had ate himself up to 400 lbs and thus had a good chance of losing his head when the rope snapped.

Since hanging, at that time was the official death penalty and beheading someone constituted cruel and unusual punishment, the 9th district court of apeals overturned his death sentence to life without parole.

The state subsequently changed the death penalty from hanging to lethal injection, but not soon enough to stop that SOB from skating.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 03:45 PM   #6
BykerGeek
Founding Member

For once, I would like to see a leadership figure own up to his mistake and accept the responsibility and consequences of his actions. I guess the concept of honor and leadership by example do not exist anymore. Janklow is probably a victim of his environment and shouldn't be held responsible. He was hungry in a hurry and now an innocent is dead. What an A$$! Hopefully, he will become someone's girlfriend in prison.
BykerGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 05:57 PM   #7
obandoj
Founding Member

He will try anything and everything to get out of it. Don't expect him to do the honorable thing and admitt his guilt, that is not the way our leaders work!

I said before and I'll say it again, hang the fat *&#! by his you know what!
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 09:52 AM   #8
wrecks
Founding Member

You spelled WEASEL wrong.
wrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 10:25 AM   #9
john_miikes_csr
Founding Member

> For once, I would like to see a leadership

> figure own up to his mistake and accept the

> responsibility and consequences of his

> actions.

Me, too. So, when is Dubya Shrub going to admit to being a lying, deserting weasel?
john_miikes_csr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 10:33 AM   #10
obandoj
Founding Member

Is that all you can come out with? You must be related to the fat #&*@
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote