Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 11-19-2003, 11:37 AM   #11
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Small minds

Seruzusy, it's the threat of the boycott that is effective. The influx of people into Sturgis means the state of SD get lots of tax revenue. Fines during Sturgis go to fund the schools. By threatening a boycott, it puts real pressure (lost tax revenue) on the state politicians to make sure that Jackloff is treated like an average citzen no better no worse.

The man was killed riding a Harley. I would think that the brotherhood would be united in honoring this guys memory (a Vietnam vet I believe) by boycotting Sturgis to ensure justice is done.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2003, 12:50 PM   #12
RonXX
Founding Member

Default Re: Janklow updates

What can we do? What do I need to do to get this s***** in jail where he belongs? If anyone has any information on what EXACTLY the public can do to help, please let us know.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 02:57 PM   #13
grover750
Founding Member

Default More Janklow BS

You have all GOT to read the following story:

http://www.argusleader.com/news/Wednesdayarticle1.shtml

The shyt gets thicker all the time. I've raced dirtbikes, but never cars, and have never driven a cadillac with the northstar engine. Would someone, anyone, explain this to me:

"I was going south, going to Brandon, and I was coming down the road, and as I came up to this place, there was a car on the left-hand side of the road that came right across towards me. I was slowing up for that stop sign and I just raced around it. I gunned around him ..." Janklow said.

"No, I wasn't speeding.

I mean, I wasn't going fast.

I just wasn't driving fast.

I don't even know. Probably 65. There wasn't any reason to be in a hurry. A lot of times I drive fast by myself. When I tried to - when I tried to miss them, I gunned it."

So, this is his story? I was coming to a stop, like any lawful citizen, when a phantom (he's really got a problem with these phantom vehicles) vehicle "came at him". This caused him to run a stop sign at 70 mph. Looks like this tragic situation came down to either Janklow's life or Scott's. He just did what he had to do to survive. Wow.

The affidavit:

http://www.argusleader.com/janklowtr..._affidavit.pdf

Looks like there is precedent in SD to allow past driving record as evidence, BUT, not when the defendant is a representative and former governor:

http://www.argusleader.com/janklowtr...article3.shtml

Anyone know the status of that?

More articles:

http://www.argusleader.com/janklowtrial.shtml

grover750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 03:03 PM   #14
grover750
Founding Member

Default Re: Been saying Boycott since day one!

It would put pressure on the state to clean up it's mess of a system.

It would send a message to other states and people that motorcyclists stick together and won't sit idly by while motorcyclists get killed.

It would encourage the people of SD to elect judges that enforce the law blindly.

It would ensure that Janklow doesn't get re-elected. (I can see it now: Want Sturgis again? Don't re-elect Janklow)

Old 11-19-2003, 03:06 PM   #15
speedfreak1701
Founding Member

Suruzawa,,,don'nt kid yourself,that elite republican thing you speak of ,the dems,bhl,get it too.Look at all the crap bleeding heart clinton got away with.
speedfreak1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 03:07 PM   #16
travisyoung
Founding Member

Generally, past incidents will be admitted if they are similar and establish a pattern of repeated behaviour. The judge in this case stated that he didn't see how the speeding tickets or prior accidents were similar.

The incidents were at least similar in that he was speeding and he got in an accident.

I would like to see the arguments made, but in my opinion this was a difficult one for the prosecution to lose...
travisyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 03:15 PM   #17
RonXX
Founding Member

Default Re: More Janklow BS

I can't believe this piece of sh!t is going to get away with this. I just can't. Everyone needs to consider if THEY had been the one killed by this turd. How would your family feel to know your killer was getting away with a slap on the wrists? We need to stick together just like the good ol' boys are doing in SD right now. There must be a better way to spread word of this atrocity to the motorcycle community than MO. More Harley people need to be involved. Can anyone help?
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 06:09 PM   #18
grover750
Founding Member

Default Harley people

Good point on the HD people. The AMA should do all it can, we should all rally behind the AMA, but, we all know that Harley riders are a very tight knit group. There has to be Mofo's out there who are also very active in thier local HOG organizations. Do they have chat rooms? I really think the Harley clan should be up in arms about this.

OK, I just read this story:

http://www.argusleader.com/janklowtr...article1.shtml

Summary:

Past driving record: the court would wait and see whether information about Janklow's driving record comes up in rebuttal. At that time, Steele reserved the right to let the state enter the driving records as evidence.

(Does this mean that it's admissible only if the defense starts bragging about his driving record, and the prosecutor, in rebuttal, wants to show what a leadfoot he is? Am I interperting this wrong? Any lawyers out there that can help me out? )

Speeches where he bragged about speeding: Not admissible

Signed affidavit from Jennifer Walters, which describes her run in with Janklow when he almost killed her running the SAME stop sign (sorthbound, past STOP AHEAD signs, and over rumble strips, see details at http://www.argusleader.com/janklowtr...yfeature.shtml) on Dec 29. 2002: ADMISSIBLE

Still trying to figure out how, when someone is crossing over into your lane, that "goosing it" helps you avoid an accident. Anyone?

What a crock that his past accident records are not admissible. Not only was speeding a factor in this, but if anyone on the jury is stupid enough to believe this "phantom" vehicle bullsh!t, the fact that he's had many accidents that also had phantoms should be relevant.

Old 11-20-2003, 05:07 AM   #19
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Been saying Boycott since day one!

So, how many times have you been to Sturgis so far?
Old 11-20-2003, 06:20 AM   #20
ikonoklass
Founding Member

I wish I could see the Motions in Limine, because there seems to be some suspicious advocacy afoot. It could be that the South Dakota rules of evidence differ substantially from the federal, but I doubt it. I think the Sturgis boycott idea is brilliant.