Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 11-12-2003, 04:36 PM   #11
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Anti-Discrimination Heathly Insurance Bill in Senate

I know that I've used this H. L. Mencken quote before, but it bears repeating.

"The kind of man who wants the government to adopt and enforce his ideas is always the kind of man whose ideas are idiotic."

Why is it that people can't get it through their heads that if you belly up to the trough when the government doles out something you want, you automatically lose the moral high ground when it comes time to ***** about the government squandering the money they take from you at gun point. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2003, 04:44 AM   #12
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Sorry, the flamethrower comes out for staunch supporters of insurance discrimination and known AMA bashers like KPaul. I "dislike highly" people that talk out of two sides of their face. I just wanted to know why a person that has such low regard for the AMA and all they do, and comes up with ideas of how the insurance industry shouldn't have to pay for injuries, should worry about this issue. Either you are part of the solution or part of the problem. The idiot that wrote this in (not the staff that posted this) is part of the problem. I just pointed it out.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:39 AM   #13
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Amen.

If more Americans would take the moral high ground into the voting booth we wouldn't have so much to ***** about either.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 07:11 AM   #14
KPaulCook
Banned

Longride you are such an extremist.
[*]Point 1. "Since he has voiced his distaste of the AMA more than once, why even post anything from them?"

As a AMA member I disagree with the AMA stance on opposing helmet laws. I agree with them on this however

[*]Point 2. "He certainly made clear that we shouldn't pay for people's right to choose"

If a person wears proper safety gear i.e. full face helmet, jacket, boots, and pants then he has taken reasonable precautions. However, if you wear flip flops, t-shirt, and no helmet I think you haven't taken reasonable precautions and thus face the consequences

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 07:17 AM   #15
KPaulCook
Banned

Default As usual longride is wrong about me. Why I sometimes diagree with the AMA

I only bash the AMA on their vocal opposition of helmet laws. I think it is a waste of valuable political capital. The AMA effort should be spent on efforts like this, public land use, and training etc. I am still am an AMA member. If you doubt the value of riding with a helmet , read the story in the latest AMA Motorcyclist about the guy who didn't wear his helmet when he was riding his bike around the block.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 07:46 AM   #16
rock06r
Founding Member

In other words, what you are saying is that insurance companies only provide insurance when they make money hand over fist, right? The perception in Florida is that because of all the damage from hurricanes the insurance companies paid more than they took in. However, I like to point out that the federal government (aka you and me and everyone else) plus local and state government provided 10's of billions of $$ in aid (i.e. to pay the money that insurance companies should have paid). And let me point out this: it's not like hurricanes SUDDENLY appeared in Florida ...?! They've always been there, and always will. Just now the insurance companies have to pay out an amount that comes close to PARITY... something that CEO's that get paid million dollar salaries could not possibly fathom.
rock06r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 07:49 AM   #17
seruzawa
The Toad

I have to disagree with you on that. Costs are out of control because modern medicine is a virtual monopoly. It is in fact very much protected by the Federal and State govts. It is highly subsidized by the govt and those subsidies are highly regulated. The Fed govt actually pays doctors to hook the elderly up to electric shock machines. It is the farthest thing from a free market.

When medicare was originally being debated some people were saying that govt subsidies for health care would only increase the cost of healthcare. If people were paying an average of $25 per visit a $25-per-visit subsidiy would result in a new cost level of $50 per visit. Those people were right. We now pay more than ever out-of-pocket plus we pay huge taxes to feed the allopathic beast.

Old 11-13-2003, 07:59 AM   #18
rock06r
Founding Member

What are you, an insurance salesman? Don't kid yourself. Insurance companies know they have us by the b$lls, and they charge accordingly. During this past recession did you hear about any insurance companies going kaputt? H$ll no, they merged and got bigger!
rock06r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 09:32 AM   #19
seruzawa
The Toad

Default No time to waste longride.

The govt is going to help us again. Your time would be better spent looking for a new place to hide your wallet.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:45 AM   #20
tonyharrah
Founding Member

Also, doctors (and hospitals even) now must pay ever-increasing malpractice insurance (funny how the system feeds itself) to protect themselves from frivolous law suits. I'm sure some of these suits are legitimate, but I'm also bet most are not. It's kinda like the new lottery.

-Tony
tonyharrah is offline   Reply With Quote