Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-26-2003, 10:34 AM   #1
Emperor_Vir
Founding Member

Default Re: Why don't US dealers have demo bikes, really?

Go to your local BMW dealer, they always have demo bikes available to serious customers. First Post!! Wahoo!
Emperor_Vir is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2003, 10:38 AM   #2
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Or Your Local Buell Dealer

You can also go to your local Buell dealer and get a test ride!
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 10:47 AM   #3
cybris
Registered Member

When I sold motorcycles in the mid 90s(hon,kaw,suz)we always had demos. They were hondas mostly. We would do a wing a sport bike and a cruiser. We also let people try any used bike thay wanted. All they needed was a valid drivers license and a dealership employee to go with you on a different bike. This was a small town in northern ny. We also demoed the ski-doo sleds.
cybris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 11:06 AM   #4
nomad76
Founding Member

The Guzzi and Triumph dealers here in Philly have demo weekends. It would be nice to have year-round testers, but a demo weekend's better than the zilch the other dealers give.
nomad76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 11:13 AM   #5
dwr461
Founding Member

One of the major reasons why I buy BMW in my arear is that they are the only dealer who allows test rides in my area. Not only that the saleperson actually new his product. When I purchased my bike last year, I went to several dealerships who sold Japanese products to examine their bikes. They might as well have been selling washing machines for what they knew about them. They didn't know service intervals, where to check the oil, etc. Much like as Sears where the salesperson can tell the washers will get my clothes clean, they did know which bike would "go fast." . The exception was HD and Buell where they where knowledgable and allowed test rides. But I just didn't care for HD's image they sell with their bikes. As for Buell nothing suited my usasge. I have heard that this is just the opposite in some areas but not Louisiana.

Take care,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 11:15 AM   #6
dwr461
Founding Member

Please forgive my poor grammar, punctuation, and improper use of "where." I should have proof read.

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 11:16 AM   #7
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

I'm sure it's related somehow to the number of frivolous lawsuits every year against the manufacturers and dealers...
Old 09-26-2003, 11:41 AM   #8
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

My Honda, Yamaha, Victory, Ducati dealer used to offer test rides. Many of the bikes I've owned from his shop, both new and used were because the test ride allowed the bike to get into my dreams then into my garage.

I went to him earlier this year to ride a Monster (thanks Buzglyd for getting me thinking about Ducs) and found he could no longer offer them. Seems he had offered a ride to one of his customers who he knew to be an exceptional rider. She was a rider for many years and an MSF instructor so he didn't even give it much thought. He got the copy of her DL and had her sign the waver and off she went.

Three blocks from his shop, she was riding in the number one lane of a six lane city street and a young guy hit the gas to cross the street and head the opposite direction she was traveling. They crashed. Witnesses said they couldn't believe he pulled out. She was right there. She hit the left side of his car which broke some of her bones, dented some metal on his old Chevy Impala and trashed the new bike.

He was charged with failure to yield and she went to the hospital. This however isn't why the shop stopped allowing test rides.

It seems the driver had no insurance but he did have a sue happy attorney. This nut ball sued both the rider and the dealer. Forgive me for not recalling the actual details of the suit but by the time the owner got to this part of the story I was picking my chin up from the floor as I was aghast at insanity of what I was hearing. The suit against the dealer had something to do with not making sure the rider had sufficient experience to handle the bike.

The case was settled out of court for a rather large sum but the real cost came in the form of higher insurance costs for the dealership if they continued to allow test rides. I'm talking $130,000/year. Without offering test rides it is $36,000/yr to insure his business.

His policy now is buy it, insure it and ride it home. You don't like it? Bring it back with in ten business days and he'll cancel the deal without question. Is it a hassle? Yes. I thank the legal system. It sure has reduced the number of bikes I get though.

TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 12:22 PM   #9
grover750
Founding Member

What's really amazing about this story is that they settled out of court. Why not take it to trial? If the driver was at fault, go to trial. The only reason some of these lawsuits exist is the hope of settling out of trial. If the facts are on your side, Fight 'em!

grover750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 12:37 PM   #10
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Probably because it would cost more money to go to trial and win than it did to settle out of court. Lawyers are incredibly expensive. And that's assuming that he would win, which is never guaranteed.