Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-26-2003, 08:02 PM   #31
HarryMyhre
Founding Member

Default Re: Why don't US dealers have demo bikes, really?

my local (southern california) motorcycle dealer had this to say about the subject once: (paraphrasing)

<blockquote> 1) a new bike is worth $X to me. After the first demo ride, that new bike is now worth $X - 25% because I now have to sell it as a used bike.

2) The fire marshall won't allow us to keep gasoline in any of the bikes in the shop. If the fire marshall comes in and finds a bike with gas in it....

(he wouldn't say what happens... )

3) We let a guy demo a bike once. He drove it right into that brick wall over there. </blockquote>

My opinion - the dealers shouldn't be responsible for test rides. The manufacturers should be giving us the opportunity for test rides. Under controlled situations at local race tracks, etc..

Harley-Davidson did it out at California Motor speedway during their 100th birthday celebration and it worked out great. Upon presentation of a valid motorcycle license, they let groups of us take off on a big old approx five mile circuit around Fontana on V-Rods, Dynas, Sportys, Softails, Buell's. I had a great time!
HarryMyhre is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2003, 09:13 PM   #32
ebass
Founding Member

Default Glad you had a great time!

When I was at the H-D '04 press intro, the guys from fleet services had me rolling all through dinner telling tales of hilarious crashes and "Jackass" level stupidity on the part of dimwits demoing Buells at various events this year. It was funny to us cause we weren't footin' the bill, but under the circumstances, I'm sure the OEMs (and dealers) aren't too anxious to offer any more demos than they feel they absolutely have to.
ebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 11:10 PM   #33
EbonFlame
Founding Member

Gods, I don't have anything PRODUCTIVE to say here, but what the FRICK is wrong with the US tort system? I'm certain whomever created this system didn't even have the slightest idea this kind of sick nonsense could occur. (or maybe they did...) What kind of greedy bastards...

Makes me want to sit there cackling as I hit the guy over and over with a tire iron, shouting 'sue this, buddy! sue this one, too!'

Wake up and earn your money, sick screwheads.
EbonFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 12:35 AM   #34
drthompson65
Founding Member

I've noticed the better the dealer the more they offer demo rides. The high end dealer in Minneapolis Motoprimo will let you ride just about anything. They usually have a fleet of bikes out front. Of course you sign a wavier and if you wreck it you own it. So far I've ridden most of the new triumphs and Guzzi's. Thinking of that new Guzzy cruiser once it's out in 1100cc.
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 01:57 AM   #35
chessman
Founding Member

BMW picks up the insurance for thier dealers, that's why. Honda also underwrites for thier dealers as well. I bought a BMW because of a prior ownership and because i could test ride the new model.
chessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 02:27 AM   #36
pplassm
Founding Member

We need to have the same system as in Europe. If you lose the case, you pay the other guy's defense bills.
Old 09-27-2003, 02:55 AM   #37
saddlebag
Registered Member

Give a lawyer or two a lick while you're at it.
saddlebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 03:22 AM   #38
B3
Founding Member

What strikes me is how the simple question of demo rides turns into a forum about insurance and our justice (aka money) system. Texas just passed legislation to cap jury awards on pain and suffering associated with lawsuits. The cap is $250,000, this does not affect lost wages or medical expenses, time will tell if this is a solution. The lawyers are all crying now. They may have to sell there lear jets.
B3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 05:07 AM   #39
triumph900
Founding Member

I work at a Triumph/Ducati/Moto Guzzi/Victory dealer part time, and we have had a least three morons crash bikes on demos. We also get a lot of seat sniffers, who want a demo with no intent (or means) to purchase a bike. We still do demos, but now we try to weed out the dead beats and non-riders. We also send an employee as a lead rider.

All it takes is a few losers to ruin it for everyone.
triumph900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 06:15 AM   #40
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

My Harley-Davidson is getting six 2004 demo bikes.