Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-26-2003, 04:28 PM   #21
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Quack Quack

My pleasure. For a "Harley guy" a Duc is one of the few sportbike options. It offers a visceral thrill that is unmatched by "smooth" sportbikes.

Don't forget: "Loud clutches saves lives!"
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2003, 04:41 PM   #22
deanmass
Founding Member

Default Re: Why don't US dealers have demo bikes, really?

1) The dealers around here ( Detroit area) ingeneral, suck. They have little product knowledge, at best seem ambivalent about any motorcycle enthusiast questioning them on anything but price and whether or not you qualify for financing. There certainly exceptions to this, but just last week, the local -total suck- Kawasaki Dealer ( Bright in Lincoln Park, MI) sale dweeb was asked by me 'did you get the new 250f in?' to which he replied '250f what?' The KX250F is quite possibly the most important dirt bike Kawasaki has released in 10 years, and he had NO CLUE..

2) I think the insurance thing is bogus. I KNOW dealership employees get to take rides home for the weekend at many shops. What is the diff. between one of them wadding it up and one of the public doing it?

3) If the insurance thing is real, why is BMW able to offer demos all the time, and jap bikes are not? Is there that much profit differential between BMW and Honda? Since BMW's seem to come with higher quality components, I am doubting that.

4) What qualifies as a 'serious' customer? When I am car shopping, I may drive 5-10 cars...Why can I not drive an fj, a cbr, etc? Is it just because of the performance? Perhaps we need stepped motocycle licenses to keep the newbs off the GSXR's.

At the bare minimum, I think the bike manufacturers should off regional test drive centers that include dirt/street, etc. But, it is not a perfect world I guess...
deanmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 04:43 PM   #23
HRCUSA
Registered Member

Most of you understand the real reason - Money!! Increasing cost of liability insurance generally out-weighs the desire to allow test rides. My shop does allow limited test rides to qualified riders over the age of 25 on any new on-road motorcycle and we offer two official demo's, one from Honda, the GoldWing, the other from Suzuki, the SV1000S. These are official demo program bikes offered by the factories which have incentives on them from the factories to help sell the units after their demo service is over. We have been lucky, unfortunately several dealers I know have not, or have just stopped because of what they have heard happend to other dealers. To be honest we sell over 500 street vehicles every year, and probably the ratio of customers who even ask if they can ride it is about 3%. That is another reason dealers shy away from offering test rides, when they see that they sell them anyway! Usually Metro area's get hit the hardest in insurance for test rides, average is about $50,000 per yr for this insurance. You have to sell a whole lot of motorcycles just to pay for this insurance when the average Japanese bike dealer has probably a $650-$850 average per unit profit.

The European (and Harley-Davidson) realize they must offer test rides if they want someone to plunk down the hefty chunk of change for what their units cost, so most of them (BMW being the best) offer very lucative incentive programs like more money to the dealer for having "more" miles put on the bike!

Those same dealers also have a older clientel (who on average, we hope are more mature and experienced) riders, so generally are safer riders, and the dealer has a much higher average profit margin to help absorb any insurance cost required for the test riders. I have seen a lot of Harley-Davidson dealers not offer test rides, this also comes down to their choice, since they know they will sell the bike anyway's without the risk of a test ride.

In this litigious and frivolous law-suit community I don't see any good news coming, only getting worse. If people would take responsiblity for their own actions we would all be much better off, but they all love to try and blame someone or something for what they usually did wrong. Just ask the manufacturers, who like Honda tell me they are handed a law-suit almost everyday, most being someone not taking blame for their own actions! Oh well, nuff said! Ciao.

HRCUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 05:21 PM   #24
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default Re: What about the manufacturers uh?

Yeah the manufacturers send the demo fleets to most regional rallies. Triumph sends their demo fleet around to the dealers too at the dealers cost. They come to OKC twice a year and it's a great day to hang at the dealer and ride all the bikes, eat doughnuts and drink coffee or coke.

TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 05:28 PM   #25
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default Re: Quack Quack

aHAha... I'm leaning toward the SV650 now since I couldn't ride the Monster.
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 06:48 PM   #26
JLWarrior
Registered Member

I was able to get a test ride when I bought my 96 Triumph Speed Triple. If you really want to ride some bikes, you have to got the big bike events.
JLWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 06:54 PM   #27
dwr461
Founding Member

Could it be that since BMW's appeal to older more mature (not in age) motorcyclists, that they have less accidents than the squids who want to test drive the latest GSXCBRR-1000XX? Therefore it's lower risk for an insurance company so lower premiums. Might not be a profit motive.

Take care,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 07:17 PM   #28
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Quack Quack

Next thing ya know you'll be riding a Concours!
Old 09-26-2003, 07:19 PM   #29
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Mmmmm Donuts

ahhhhhhuhhhhhhahhhhhh
Old 09-26-2003, 07:45 PM   #30
obandoj
Founding Member

Default Come ride with us

Come to Firebird International Raceway in Phoenix on October 19, for Arizona Track Days, and you will be able to ride all of these bikes on the west track (the same one used by Bob Bondurant's road racing school, and the best one on this facility)

Ducati, Aprilia, Moto Guzzi, KTM, Buell, etc.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote