Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Paranoid News Clips (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/)
-   -   CBS Sportbike News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/2130-cbs-sportbike-news.html)

waepoint 09-25-2003 10:38 AM

Re: CBS Sportbike News

Oh joy. Something to get the blue hairs all worked up in between Metamucil ads.

TatdNPrcd 09-25-2003 10:55 AM

Wonderful.

Another sensationalized piece of "news" to define ALL of us as members of motorcycle gangs endangering the lives of "the chiillldrennn!"

Hell, they'll most likely ask some drunk to sit on a bike and throw some bottles of beer around him too.

"See how BAD motorcycles are?!?"

I get so sick of this trash.

I know I'm saying this without first seeing the "report" but with a description like that I don't expect they'll say anything about the other 99% of those who ride.

Thanks MO for letting us know.

GogglesPaisano 09-25-2003 11:14 AM

Great, they found some kids to do stand-ups on the freeway for the cameras... They'll probably share road-rash stories with the reporter and when asked "it seems so dangerous, why don't you stop?" they'll say some dumbass crap about "the rush" and how it makes them feel "alive"...

I don't have anything against stunting in general, but just like the various "street racing" stories in the news I guarantee they'll find the dumbest bunch of guys in town to interview because the smart guys know better than to be seen on camera engaging in illegal acts and talking about how often they do it.

I can just imagine the interview about their fallen "brother" who broke a footpeg on the interstate and rolled under a truck:

"Yeah, Wolfman was a great guy. I seen it happen; it was a bad scene... But I'll still stunt because of the rush I get, it makes you feel alive, like you're really free..."

S'pose I'd better have a beer when it comes on...

-=Goggles=-

burtonsimmons 09-25-2003 11:20 AM

You guys better watch out. I'm going to get my extreme motorcycle gang and we'll put your life at risk...

I'm sure a group of early 80's Honda Ascots are a threat... we out 147 hp at the crank... between 3 bikes! :) That's DANGEROUS stuff, man.

Abe_Froman 09-25-2003 11:28 AM

Istamulada 09-25-2003 11:37 AM

First time ever that i'm happy of not owning cable TV.

DurangoKid 09-25-2003 11:52 AM

Andy,

I made it to South Carolina without incident. When I get a little time I will send you an email.

I saw a commercial for the episode and my first thought was... "that's a badass stand up wheelie!"

The truth is that I don't ride like that only because I can't.

Chuk

Chango 09-25-2003 11:53 AM

Here's what their website has in the form of a preview:

"Finally tonight, they call themselves adrenalin junkies out for a clean-cut thrill, but are sports bike enthusiasts a menace to themselves and others? Robert McNamara will examine this growing and potentially dangerous trend in tonight's Eye on America."

I'm sure they will be fair and interview many normal, sane motorcyclists for this one...

Chango

Chango 09-25-2003 11:55 AM

Oh, in case you're looking for the website, it is:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/1998/...ain15214.shtml

Chango

P.S. - Sorry, I can't remember how to do a proper link and I don't feel like looking it up right now.

Buzglyd 09-25-2003 12:14 PM

I took my neighbor riding this weekend and she was game to go anywhere except Palomar mountain because of the "crazy riders" she'd heard about.

Apparently the squids are feeding journalists their latest antic which involves leaning close to a car in the turns and scraping the top of their helmets to get a paint stripe from the car.

I laughed at the naive journalist who would believe that one.

So Morons! Any paint stripe collectors out there?

Intersport 09-25-2003 12:18 PM

I rarely go a full week without seeing some two-wheeled idiot splitting lanes at 90 mph wearing a tee shirt, or wheelying alongside cars at 70mph on a freeway. I usually enjoy the show (although I keep my distance) but I know the cagers aren't looking kindly. Unfortunately, these dumbasses don't realize they're hurting our general cause, and themselves in the long run. Like racing, stunting should be taken off the street.

blademan 09-25-2003 01:02 PM

Just watched it, they did it in Dallas (my hometown), the bike night they are referring to is Sonic in Garland on Thurs. nights. They depicted nothing but danger, stunting, and street racing, nothing of the enthusiasts that will be here for decades, unlike the little fag stunnas who'll die evey year. This sucks, because the cops are even going to get worse around here now.

waepoint 09-25-2003 01:31 PM

Did you ever notice that every "dangerous trend" reported in the media is also growing, usually at "an alarming rate"? Seldom is there any real data behind this, of course, but the very fact that there is video footage of something means that it must be about to explode into your hometown ...

"Ma, git mah gun. We're about to be overrun by them godless motorcycle scofflaws! I hears they run down babies and eat their adrenal gland just for kicks!!! They's EEEEEEEVIL!!!"

seruzawa 09-25-2003 01:40 PM

Give me a break. Anyone is surprised by this?

The media creates stories where there are none in order to have sensational crap to frighten everybody with. I doubt that anyone here can name one instance of a news story that they have personal knowledge of that wasn't overblown, twisted and sensationalized.

I remember in 1982 when an agricultural dam was breaking down in Delta, Utah and they had to evacuate the town.... about 50 homes. When Dan Rather came on at 7 he led off with a story where, I'm not making this up, 600 homes were evacuated. This is the sort of accuracy you can expect from the Evening news.

waepoint 09-25-2003 01:51 PM

Hey dude, glad you made it safe and sound! Send me an email with all the road stories ... duking it out with Deliverance families, outwitting corrupt Southern Sherrifs, getting cozy with The Farmer's Daughter, etc.

waepoint 09-25-2003 02:03 PM

Here's their "full" story online.

Shoulda guessed they'd focus on the reckless death of some tragically underskilled rider ... a 23 year old girl, no less. Isn't it odd how the needless death of an experienced motorcyclist at the hands of a reckless elected official doesn't warrant the same type of mania? Anybody else feel like pointing this out to CBS News?

RonXX 09-25-2003 04:29 PM

I fee like pointing it out. If anyone can come up with a good email address, I would certainly use it. Maybe we could get something on the O'Reilly factor.

imported_g_k 09-25-2003 04:31 PM

Guys, guys, guys - take it easy, OK? If it bothers you that much, don't watch it. The news shows are businesses, and they produce shows to add to their bottom line - a nuanced, non-biased show about the joys of responsible sportbike riding would hardly generate the audience share that a sensational bunch of crap about blood, death, lawbreaking, etc. would. This is America, and that's how it works. I don't have a TV, and I certainly don't watch NASCAR, but if I read about a race that involved a car catching fire and vaulting into the grandstands killing dozens of people, I'd probably go out of my way to see the video - wouldn't you? If you expect reasonable presentations of any high-risk activity, you're invariably going to be disappointed. Or you could contact CBS News and suggest that they present a segment showing sportbike riders obeying all traffic laws and just generally having a pleasant time without doing anything spectacular (or dangerous). Good luck with that one.

Viffer-dude 09-25-2003 04:31 PM

There's a common term for this sort of "journalism". It's called "Muckraking". Nobody's better at it than CBS and Dan Blather.

Ducati748K 09-25-2003 05:17 PM

I thought wow! What a great news story. Motorcycles really are a threat to everyone on the roads. So I pulled out my calculator and decided to see how much of a threat I am to my fellow motorists "fear of the freeway" and all that. Let's see, I weigh about 150 lbf with all my gear and my Ducati 748 weighs about 480 lbf for a grand total (actually shy of a grand ;-)) of 630 lbf. This of course is equal to 630 lbm (19.58 slugs) because those measures were calculated on earth or were they? Anyhow seeing that my Ducati will not meet the 160 mph (234.7 ft/sec) requirement to make it on the CBS report but rather only 152.2 mph, I am going to need a small cargo helicopter (a CH-46 or 53 would work pretty nice) and about 774 feet of elevation to achieve critical speed after being pushed from the helicopter for being a "full of myself" Ducati rider (totally neglecting air resistance because of superior Ducati aerodynamics or the lack there of). Upon impact with the unsuspecting family in the small station wagon, I will have imparted 539273 slug*ft^2/sec^2 or ft*lbf of energy. That is equivalent to 1580 rounds of 9mm bullets at point blank range from a Police Officer's Glock or 500 rounds emptied from a United States Marine Corps SAW. Ouch!!! The point is we are dangerous . . . But . . . a 5000 lbm SUV travelling at a "Street Legal" 65 mph is going to deliver 706193 ft*lbf of energy which is 1.3 times the impact energy of my motorcycle at 160 mph. I don't even want to discuss what that 80,000 lbm Semi-Tractor Trailer speeding down the road at 75 mph (15 million ft-lbf of energy) is going to do to that poor family. There are alot of terrors on the roads today, but, I guarantee that there are far fewer motorcycles cruising at a relaxing 160 mph than there are SUV and Semi drivers traveling at or above posted speed limits. Watch out! I think we need to take the Semi racing off the streets and onto the tracks. Now that WOULD be a spectacle.

SuburbanRancher 09-25-2003 06:56 PM

This is a copy of my E-mail to CBS News:

Deadly World Of Sport Bikers

Let me see if I have this right; you interview a small group of haphazard riders, then broadcast a story that generalizes the activities of all sportbike enthusiasts that depicts them to be reckless lunatics? I have been riding for twelve years with no tickets or accidents, yet I am constantly looked down upon by the general public because I ride a "crotch rocket" based upon just this type of depiction. You make no effort whatsoever to speak with experienced MATURE riders about riding sport motorcycles, yet you generalize the activities of all sport motocycle riders with your sensationalist broadcast because of what a group of "adrenaline junkies" tells your camera?

Thanks for doing myself and the large majority of law abiding sport motorcycle riders the favor by promoting further public confidence in our pastime; it is unbiased, well thought-out reporting like this that continues to instill my confidence in modern media.

Actually, I'm suprised you didn't also sell this story to the National Enquirer or Star; they love sensationalist BS as well..

END

We all know the majority of moden media sensationalizes stories to sell advertising, but it still pisses me off when it affects our sport because little dweeb reporters are trying to score points with their employers without properly exploring the entire issue they're reporting on.

CBS - BITE ME. BTW, This story will not prevent you from continuing to be last in the ratings. In fact, I believe the Lifetime Network and QVC have surpassed your ratings; You should do a story on how angry women and home shopping are ruining America...

dnakase 09-25-2003 07:37 PM

Boycott CBS & their parent GE

I wanted to end my e-mail... "...and the horse your rode in on"

But did start my e-mail with a vow to boycott CBS and its sponsors.

I'll be writing the Big 3 Automakers (Totota, Honda and Nissan) next that I'll have to deffer buying their products untill heads roll!!

dnakase 09-25-2003 07:38 PM

Boycott CBS & their parent GE

I wanted to end my e-mail... "...and the horse your rode in on"

But did start my e-mail with a vow to boycott CBS and its sponsors.

I'll be writing the Big 3 Automakers (Toyota, Honda and Nissan) next that I'll have to deffer buying their products untill heads roll!!

Gabe 09-25-2003 08:47 PM

Gabe's Response and Mr. AllCaps Response

To Bob MacNamara: I am EXTREMELY upset about your portrayal of motorcyclists in the piece entitled "Deadly World Of Sport Bikers". It is the most inane, sensationalist, poorly written piece of yellow journalism crap I have ever had the misfortune to see. I'm amazed anybody in the journalistic field would have the sheer idiocy to compose, edit and air such garbage.

It was sensationalist, poorly (not at all) reasearched and devoid of any facts, presentation of opposing viewpoints or any useful information at all.

The bit about Kelly Howard was particularly insulting. Nowhere do you provide evidence she was breaking the law. Yet you imply she was stunting or street racing by leading with this sentence: "Still it's the flat-out street racing that's most life threatening of all."

That is slanderous and libelous and just insults everybody's intelligence. You are a hack who should not be let into any kind of journalistic facillity, even to buff the floors or clean the urinals.

Gabe

TO MR. MCNAMARA

I AM A BRAIN IN A TANK AT THE MAYO CLINIC, AND YOUR PIECE TOTALLY ROCKED! THAT WAS A VERY ACCURATE PORTRAYAL OF ME AND MY HOMIEZ! PULLING 170MPH WHEELIEZ IS DA HYPE! I HOPE MY GRNADMA WUZ WATCHING! THAT WUZ BETTER THAN THAT OLD SHOW ABOUT THE TALKING CAR!

busa99999 09-26-2003 01:13 AM

Another example of U.S. Tv copying the BBC the Brits have the most speed nazis per capita. The BBC show that was aired recently bashed sport bikes. Not unexpected from the land of a1000 speed cameras and people who are jailed for first time speeding violations.

longride 09-26-2003 02:17 AM

Nice Job!

lukam 09-26-2003 02:21 AM

Let me see if I have this right; you meet a small group of arrogant cruiser riders then broadcast a story on MO that gerneralizes the activities of all Harley enthusiasts that depicts them to be rich wannabees?

Sounds like the crotch rocket crowd is getting it feathers ruffled a bit.

Damn, I love to see the other side squirm.

Oh yea, thats right its all Harley's fault..

Buzglyd 09-26-2003 03:11 AM

It's George Bush's fault!

obandoj 09-26-2003 03:53 AM

Does anybody have an e-mail adress for CBS?

What about one for the reporter?

SparkyBlue 09-26-2003 04:35 AM

How ironic; Harleys are respectable and sport riders are outlaws. What if you own both ??

SteadyRoller 09-26-2003 05:10 AM

Re: Gabe's Response and Mr. AllCaps Response

Thanks Gabe and Mr. AllCaps. Nice to see both sides of the story.

SR

jaypuck 09-26-2003 05:19 AM

wow, I haven't seen it but I've seen bike night at sonic (and now wednesdays at dairy queen in plano)....there are some idiots and some really cool people. did they just pick the idiots to talk to?

side note, strictly vertical (stunt team) is doing shows at 'times square' every friday night now. I think I'm going tonight just to see what's up.

caseyheilman 09-26-2003 05:22 AM

Here's a solution to this problem.

Let's build more light fast liter bikes. That'll fix it. I'm sorry: Is that not a popular solution? If all the manufacturers make is super fast bikes than IDIOTS will be drawn to them like moths to a flame. Unfortunately, stupid people are buying and riding the latest and greatest jap bikes in great numbers.

Testosterone and youth = Sensational deaths

KPaulCook 09-26-2003 05:38 AM

Finally you are getting the picture. :)

KPaulCook 09-26-2003 06:02 AM

Guns don't kill people, People kill people. Sportbikes don't kill people, people kill

Already the bike makers are limiting top speed. Should they limit performance on bikes I say no. Next we limit performance on cars. Next we are driving Volvos. Where does it end. Like helmet laws. I think you are an idiot if you don't wear a full face helmet but don't favor laws making it mandatory I. I have recently come to that opionion by the way.

dfaber 09-26-2003 06:24 AM

Here is the address and a copy of my letter to CBS news:

TO: evening@cbsnews.com

SUBJECT: Sensationalist Reporting

Sirs:

The following blurb on your web site for a "story" on sport motorcycling is a shoddy piece of ratings grab masquerading as news and deserves no place in your publicity or on your network. While a balanced report about sport motorcycles would be a welcome thing, that would require considerably more background study than you were willing to give a "throwaway" filler like this, so instead you will treat your viewers to an easy exploitative piece which will surely offer the low hanging journalistic fruit of brain-impaired street racers all to eager to spew stirring commentary to your news-gatherers about how the "rush" of performing illegal stupid tricks on the public motorways "makes us feel alive," etc., etc.

Your irresponsible reporting may grab a half-Nielsen point but will contribute unfairly to the public perception of motorcyclists and, worse, add to the arsenal of equally pedantic politicians who are trying to make "outlaws" of us all.

How about "They call themselves journalists, but are TV New reporters a menace to themselves and others." In this case, yes.

Buzglyd 09-26-2003 06:31 AM

Nigel Tufnel

"That's nit-picking now isn't it?"

sarnali 09-26-2003 07:22 AM

It's that durn Vast Right Wing Conspiricy again, puttin' guns in little kids hands wasn't enough, now they give them 200mph sportster motorsikles and turns 'em loose on the highway.

Gramma and Grampa has a hard enough time drivin' the suburban as it is with out these durn cycle-psyco's racin' around.

captainwhoopass 09-26-2003 07:49 AM

Re: Here's a solution to this problem.

There are an equal number of stupid people riding Harleys, they are just older...

Remember, age does not equal wisdom.

TatdNPrcd 09-26-2003 07:50 AM

What the AMA has to say about it...

http://www.ama-cycle.org/news/2003/cbsnews.asp

AMA reacts to CBS News report on extreme street riding

Sep. 26 – The AMA, reacting to a CBS News report on so-called "extreme street riding," points out that this illegal and dangerous conduct represents only a small percentage of the American motorcycling community.

The CBS News "Eye on America" report, which aired during the September 25th broadcast of "The CBS Evening News with Dan Rather," documented groups of motorcyclists, primarily in the Dallas area, who ride at high speeds and perform stunts on public streets and highways. A CBS News producer, conducting research for the report, had contacted the AMA in mid-August.

"For the most part, the CBS News segment correctly portrayed extreme street riding as an isolated phenomenon," said Tom Lindsay, AMA Public Information Director. "It's unfortunate, however, that the irresponsible conduct of such a small number of motorcyclists gets national attention, while the overwhelming majority of American motorcyclists are responsible and law-abiding."

The AMA believes that stunt riding, like that portrayed in the CBS News report, has no place on public streets and highways, where it endangers both motorcyclists and other motorists.

© 2003, American Motorcyclist Association