Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-25-2003, 12:18 PM   #11
Intersport
Founding Member

Default Re: CBS Sportbike News

I rarely go a full week without seeing some two-wheeled idiot splitting lanes at 90 mph wearing a tee shirt, or wheelying alongside cars at 70mph on a freeway. I usually enjoy the show (although I keep my distance) but I know the cagers aren't looking kindly. Unfortunately, these dumbasses don't realize they're hurting our general cause, and themselves in the long run. Like racing, stunting should be taken off the street.
Intersport is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-25-2003, 01:02 PM   #12
blademan
Founding Member

Just watched it, they did it in Dallas (my hometown), the bike night they are referring to is Sonic in Garland on Thurs. nights. They depicted nothing but danger, stunting, and street racing, nothing of the enthusiasts that will be here for decades, unlike the little fag stunnas who'll die evey year. This sucks, because the cops are even going to get worse around here now.
blademan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 01:31 PM   #13
waepoint
Founding Member

Did you ever notice that every "dangerous trend" reported in the media is also growing, usually at "an alarming rate"? Seldom is there any real data behind this, of course, but the very fact that there is video footage of something means that it must be about to explode into your hometown ...

"Ma, git mah gun. We're about to be overrun by them godless motorcycle scofflaws! I hears they run down babies and eat their adrenal gland just for kicks!!! They's EEEEEEEVIL!!!"
waepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 01:40 PM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

Give me a break. Anyone is surprised by this?

The media creates stories where there are none in order to have sensational crap to frighten everybody with. I doubt that anyone here can name one instance of a news story that they have personal knowledge of that wasn't overblown, twisted and sensationalized.

I remember in 1982 when an agricultural dam was breaking down in Delta, Utah and they had to evacuate the town.... about 50 homes. When Dan Rather came on at 7 he led off with a story where, I'm not making this up, 600 homes were evacuated. This is the sort of accuracy you can expect from the Evening news.
Old 09-25-2003, 01:51 PM   #15
waepoint
Founding Member

Hey dude, glad you made it safe and sound! Send me an email with all the road stories ... duking it out with Deliverance families, outwitting corrupt Southern Sherrifs, getting cozy with The Farmer's Daughter, etc.
Old 09-25-2003, 02:03 PM   #16
waepoint
Founding Member

Here's their "full" story online.

Shoulda guessed they'd focus on the reckless death of some tragically underskilled rider ... a 23 year old girl, no less. Isn't it odd how the needless death of an experienced motorcyclist at the hands of a reckless elected official doesn't warrant the same type of mania? Anybody else feel like pointing this out to CBS News?
Old 09-25-2003, 04:29 PM   #17
RonXX
Founding Member

I fee like pointing it out. If anyone can come up with a good email address, I would certainly use it. Maybe we could get something on the O'Reilly factor.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 04:31 PM   #18
imported_g_k
Registered Member

Guys, guys, guys - take it easy, OK? If it bothers you that much, don't watch it. The news shows are businesses, and they produce shows to add to their bottom line - a nuanced, non-biased show about the joys of responsible sportbike riding would hardly generate the audience share that a sensational bunch of crap about blood, death, lawbreaking, etc. would. This is America, and that's how it works. I don't have a TV, and I certainly don't watch NASCAR, but if I read about a race that involved a car catching fire and vaulting into the grandstands killing dozens of people, I'd probably go out of my way to see the video - wouldn't you? If you expect reasonable presentations of any high-risk activity, you're invariably going to be disappointed. Or you could contact CBS News and suggest that they present a segment showing sportbike riders obeying all traffic laws and just generally having a pleasant time without doing anything spectacular (or dangerous). Good luck with that one.
imported_g_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 04:31 PM   #19
Viffer-dude
Founding Member

There's a common term for this sort of "journalism". It's called "Muckraking". Nobody's better at it than CBS and Dan Blather.
Viffer-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 05:17 PM   #20
Ducati748K
Founding Member

I thought wow! What a great news story. Motorcycles really are a threat to everyone on the roads. So I pulled out my calculator and decided to see how much of a threat I am to my fellow motorists "fear of the freeway" and all that. Let's see, I weigh about 150 lbf with all my gear and my Ducati 748 weighs about 480 lbf for a grand total (actually shy of a grand ) of 630 lbf. This of course is equal to 630 lbm (19.58 slugs) because those measures were calculated on earth or were they? Anyhow seeing that my Ducati will not meet the 160 mph (234.7 ft/sec) requirement to make it on the CBS report but rather only 152.2 mph, I am going to need a small cargo helicopter (a CH-46 or 53 would work pretty nice) and about 774 feet of elevation to achieve critical speed after being pushed from the helicopter for being a "full of myself" Ducati rider (totally neglecting air resistance because of superior Ducati aerodynamics or the lack there of). Upon impact with the unsuspecting family in the small station wagon, I will have imparted 539273 slug*ft^2/sec^2 or ft*lbf of energy. That is equivalent to 1580 rounds of 9mm bullets at point blank range from a Police Officer's Glock or 500 rounds emptied from a United States Marine Corps SAW. Ouch!!! The point is we are dangerous . . . But . . . a 5000 lbm SUV travelling at a "Street Legal" 65 mph is going to deliver 706193 ft*lbf of energy which is 1.3 times the impact energy of my motorcycle at 160 mph. I don't even want to discuss what that 80,000 lbm Semi-Tractor Trailer speeding down the road at 75 mph (15 million ft-lbf of energy) is going to do to that poor family. There are alot of terrors on the roads today, but, I guarantee that there are far fewer motorcycles cruising at a relaxing 160 mph than there are SUV and Semi drivers traveling at or above posted speed limits. Watch out! I think we need to take the Semi racing off the streets and onto the tracks. Now that WOULD be a spectacle.
Ducati748K is offline   Reply With Quote