Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-15-2003, 07:02 AM   #51
K8
Founding Member

Default Re: what is the fastest you have gone on the street?

165 mph on my 2002 ZX-12R. It was a deserted stretch west of Lancaster, CA. with nobody around. I could see for miles. She wanted to keep going, but I told her NO!
K8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-15-2003, 07:19 AM   #52
DJS
Founding Member

Default Driving on public streets is a privilege, not a right

You certainly have the right to travel. You can buy the land to connect point A to B, pay to have it paved, then you can go as fast as you want.

But if you want to use the roads paid for by the whole community, then you have to abide by the rules the community set up. Then the government, acting as a duly elected representative of the will of the people, can revoke anyone's right to this shared resource.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a NRA member, gun toting member of the vast right wing conspiracy.

David

DJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 07:52 AM   #53
brickl
Founding Member

Default Re: Driving on public streets is a privilege, not a right

In some countries inhaling air is a privilege. Where will you make it stop?

Today a man cannot speak to a female coworker about anything other than work for fear of being jacked up on a harassment charge.

You can't put cans or plastic in your refuse containers in some places without the garbage police kicking your hinder and making an example out of you.

You can't shield your 7 year old kid from sex ed. class without being labeled a reactionary. When did I lose the right to educate my child about the birds and the bees?

Keep out of those state and federal lands with your snowmobile or quad, or the ELF and the BLM will be down on you like a ton 'o bricks.

You get caught at 20mph over the speed limit, you've got a mandatory SR22 insurance filing, essentially throwing thousands (perhaps 10's of thousands w/ a literbike) of dollars down the rat hole for 5 years. How the hell does the govt get away with this collusion between them and the ins. industry? Jive, I tell ya.

Why do I need to have my 1 year old Jeep Wrangler inspected by the State to renew my registration? What could possibly be wrong with it that I would not want to fix myself?

It goes on and on.

I just want the govt off my firickin' back. I already give the fackers 50% of my money, you'd think I'd get a little consideration for it.
brickl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 08:29 AM   #54
jrclyde
Founding Member

Default Re: driving is a privilege?

What about we the people, promote the general welfare concepts? Some are quick to scream about their "rights" without having a f'n clue about what it means. The guy abused a privilege and in doing so violated the broader rights of everyone on that road. For 10K we can ge 90% of the performance of GP bikes for use on public roads. Be happy about it, be responsible about it. But don't tell me its some kind of violation of rights when you go straight to the cooler for tapping that performance on a public road, at thrice the speed limit, with a helmetless hoochie on the back, and a couple of beers in the belly. Take some responsibility or lose the privilege.

-peace
jrclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 11:28 AM   #55
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: driving is a privilege?

Shortstuff always says "The Gov wants" like it is some conspiring thing. Driving is privilege and is not protected by the Bill of Rights or any thing else. If driving was a right you could not take peoples licenses away.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 11:41 AM   #56
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: FL CBR954 rider nabbed at 154 mph

Finally someone who understands basic physics. Another interesting point is that the bike going 154 has more Ke than a SUV going 55. Also points of impact come into play. Imagine getting hit with the knife like bike vesus the blunt hammer like a SUV.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:44 AM   #57
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Kinetic energy don't work that way.

Yep you are right the bike is like a knife (bullet) vs getting hit with a hammer like SUV (Mack truck) .
Old 09-24-2003, 06:42 AM   #58
KS1
Founding Member

Default Re: FL CBR954 rider nabbed at 154 mph

Come on now. The article said 145 not 154. The guy was a major idiot non the less. There's a time and place for 145 mph speed, and it's especially not while you have a helpless (un-helmeted) rider behind you. This guy shouldn't be allowed to ride. What a dumb-sh!&.
KS1 is offline   Reply With Quote