Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-14-2003, 06:55 AM   #11
kawazuki
Founding Member

Default Re: FL CBR954 rider nabbed at 154 mph

True, that a revoked license would not stop him from driving again, but seizing his motorcycle would.

We will note that this is not neccesarily the course of action I am suggesting, but rather pointing out that it would probably get his attention.

Obviously I'd only consider that a valid option of there were a law on the books providing that as a punishment option, and likewise, fines (which theoretically generate revenue) would be a valid punishment. Jail, which sucks, but costs money, seems ludicrous.

-Kawazuki
kawazuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2003, 07:18 AM   #12
rider_md
Founding Member

so if you're saying difference in KE should have no bearing, then ....

a SUV driver going 75 mph should get the same penalty as this shmuck going 145?

or a person with a 50lb sledge hammer should get the same penalty as someone with a umbrella?

u sure about that?

that extra 48 lbs can mean the difference between life and death, 1st degree murder and assault charges.

and then... my next question is:

how great of a threat is he to the public?

this guy going 125-145: moderate.

an SUV driver going 90?: moderate to high.

like i said before, he should be punished, and his license should be revoked, and it would be nice to fine the hell out of him so that his bike is taken away and he never rides again... because his very EXISTENCE impinges on my freedom to ride.

but lets face it, while he DID pose a threat to the public, it is no more than a SUV going 90 mph. he is more likely to create road pizza for himself than kill or maim another motorist.

how do we judge the severity of a crime? by degree of criminal intent? by severity of results? i dont quite know, im not a lawyer. im just not sure jail time is the best way to go... and im not sure he posed a more severe threat than a jerk in a big truck / car going half his speed jabbering away on a cell phone not paying attention to the road.
rider_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 08:09 AM   #13
tomhorn
Registered Member

I got an insurance quote from Progressive for a 954, and even with my clean driving record, full coverage was going to cost me over $2100 per year and it's BECAUSE OF F***WADS LIKE THIS GUY! Granted, at 1:30 in the morning traffic would be light, but with two beers in him and a passenger on the back, Darwin must have blinked.
tomhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 08:25 AM   #14
grubz916
Registered Member

"Although law officers on Interstate 75 regularly catch 100 mph-plus speeders, hitting three-digit numbers in the city is very rare, mostly because of the congestion, police say. "

"Sheridan said he could smell alcohol on Corzo's breath and asked him if he'd been drinking. Corzo told police he'd had a couple of beers. "

There's a differnce between benignly exceeding the speed limit and doing what this guy did. It sounds to me like the road in question is some king of main throughfare thru the city, probably lined with stores or houses. Its one thing if this ******* loses control on the freeway and slams into a divider or guard rail, quite another if he plows into a house or t-bones someone looking to make a left or right turn. What would you say if he blew past a school (in session) in his "sober" state?
Old 09-14-2003, 08:39 AM   #15
DaveFla
Founding Member

Finally, an argument I like! We could disagree about relative dangers and sentencing forever, but you've gotta believe that jagoffs like this guy are helping to drive up everybody's rates. </p>

Bet he rides without insurance next year because he "can't afford" coverage.</p>
DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 08:47 AM   #16
brickl
Founding Member

If, if, if, if.

If truckers wouldn't do marathon sessions. If infirm elderly knew when to stop driving. If cops didn't insist on chasing people at high speeds for ridiculously insignificant offences. If morons didn't put their chicks on the back of their bikes w/o any safety gear.

Where's my Govt. issue indestructible force field and fat burning pill?

If I hurt someone, get me. If I don't, don't.
brickl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 08:51 AM   #17
banksideusa
Founding Member

Default By the effin balls

String him up that is. Insurance on an R1,954, even an FZ1, is unaffordable because of pricks like this.
banksideusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 08:54 AM   #18
brickl
Founding Member

"I got an insurance quote from Progressive for a 954, and even with my clean driving record, full coverage was going to cost me over $2100 per year and it's BECAUSE OF F***WADS LIKE THIS GUY!"

Yeah, but I think it's because of f***wads like Progressive, personally. Your credit rating is more important to progressive than any othe factor when they consider your premium.

How can State Farm charge 300 or 400 per year, and Progressive charge 2000 or 3000? That's fishy, fishy, fishy.
brickl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 09:33 AM   #19
12er
Founding Member

I'm not sure how Progressive is in business. They wanted $3k a year for my KLR 650 and $5k a year for my K12RS. To which I found $239 a year full coverage for the Kawi and $600 a year full on the beamer.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 09:34 AM   #20
tomhorn
Registered Member

Good point brickl. I did talk to a guy that was insuring his 929 for $48 per month... from State Farm.
tomhorn is offline   Reply With Quote