Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-02-2003, 12:58 PM   #1
Chango
Founding Member

Default Re: If'n you can't beat them...

I am in favor of doing sensible mods to the R6. I'm sure that the NOS would make it a ridiculously overpowered bike without causing train-like handling, but personally, I am not interested in the rideability of ridiculously overpowered bikes. I want to know about the usefulness of sensible mods. What I want to know is this: are they worth the money? But, I'm sure I'll read and enjoy whatever you write about.

Chango.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2003, 01:24 PM   #2
cornercarver
Founding Member

Who cares about 20 seconds of power from NOS. Let's talk Turbo!!!!

Seriously, I'd rather see a bunch of serious mods, which will have much more relevance to the MOrons, capped off by the installation of a turbo or NOS system. We all know that such an installation has a 50% chance of destroying the motor, so we might as well get a 'serious' long term review out of the deal, first. Besides, it will be fun to see the difference between stock and modded, and then between modded and turbo.

cornercarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 02:26 PM   #3
john
Founding Member

all the other mods have been done to death....yeah, get your slipon to lose 4lbs and gain 2hp, or your full system to lose 8lbs and gain 5hp, at the expense of 1-2ftlbs through the midrange.

Yes, braided steel brake lines and good pads are worth the money. Yes getting the suspension sorted will make it feel like you are riding on pillows, all the while the bike will handle on rails.

Throw a NOS system on there. How is it real world? how often do you need to refill? get hidden system to see if fit and finish is up to it. looks tacky with a bottle hangin off the side.

Old 09-02-2003, 02:28 PM   #4
john
Founding Member

this is why they should do it.

A nitrous kit should not be any more dangerous to a motor than a turbo. For everyone thinks the motor is going to grenade itself the first time they get on the juice. These arent backyard funnygas kits anymore.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:34 AM   #5
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default I vote for the NOS kit

I see NOS on Harley type customs and Euro built street fighters so I'd like to see you guys build one. Sport Rider did the Turbo already so I know what it does to a street bike. I've seen NOS on drag bikes but they don't look very streetable.

NOS on an R6? The respectable mods will be useful to many but NOS will be wild and that makes for a fun read.
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 06:05 AM   #6
travisyoung
Founding Member

hmmm...I was thinking about hooking up my CB250 with some NOS...I bet I could get it up to 80 (mph) with the right set up.
travisyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 07:26 AM   #7
schizuki
Founding Member

Good thing Burns isn't around. He'd suck the bottle dry before you got it on the bike.

I saw an FZ-1 at Owl's Head, Maine last Sunday that was juiced. Very clean installation - bottle on the left passenger peg, gauge above it hanging from the subframe, toggle switch on the fairing (with the on/off labelled in kanji - considering the power of a stock FZ-1, I bet it read "Jail Cell" and "Morgue"). A guy looking at it with me said, "That's sick." I said, "Yeah, that's just wrong." But we were both smiling.

I say go for it. I don't know jack about nitrous. It will be a good read.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 07:40 AM   #8
SmokeU
Registered Member

A local Honda dealer has a couple of NOS kits in stock. I'm thinking of hooking the Conk up with one Either that or buying it and secretly installing it on my friends Gold Thing.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:45 AM   #9
maynard
Founding Member

Go for the gas! It would be very interesting to see what a $650 kit will do to an R6. Put it on a dead stock bike, no pipe or any other mods.We all know that an R6 is fast enough 99.9% of the time, its that .1% that has us buying liter bikes.
maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 08:15 AM   #10
nitrofly
Founding Member

Default Do BOTH DO BOTH!!

Beg, buy steal or borrow another identical bike and go both routes. Then take them to a track and do a hed to hed comparo.

Then bring both of them for an extended ST ride and compare them to an SV650. The concourse can stay home this time.