Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 08-29-2003, 07:32 AM   #1
mce63
Founding Member

Default Re: Congressman Crash Update IV

Cheers to South Dakota for doing the right thing. Hopefully they will continue to do so until this guy is convicted and sentenced.
mce63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2003, 07:44 AM   #2
sanchin
Registered Member

A trial on some degree of murder should occur everytime one person's actions result in the death of another. Clearly blowing a stop sign at 70 mph and killing an innocent motorcyclist should result in a charge. Unfortunately we've(bikers) been screwed for so long that it is newsworthy when one of our murderers is charged. Of course he being one of the ruling class will probably get him off.
sanchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 08:00 AM   #3
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Well, apparently the attorney general has some balls. Let's hope he also has some prosecutorial talent.</p>

The article states that Janklow was traveling 71 mph. I wonder if they got that from the Caddy's black box? Someone posted in response to an earlier update that 80 mph in SD is automatic criminal negligence.</p>
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 08:02 AM   #4
sarnali
Founding Member

Looks like they're filing the charges that apply under the law. This guy clearly shows he thinks law's don't apply to him by his previous actions and statements

With any luck the court will convict him of the felony charges that have been filed instead of some bull***** plea bargain
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 08:10 AM   #5
nokneedragin
Founding Member

While I would love to see this POS rot in prison getting traded for a pack of sigs, I have a feeling that a plea will be the end of this for a lesser charge.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 10:28 AM   #6
torrnado
Founding Member

i would like to see him drawn and quartered, but that may be a bit excessive.

seriously though, driving is a privilege, NOT a right, and this guy should never be able to drive again.
torrnado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 10:34 AM   #7
theDuke
Founding Member

Seems to me that if he wasn't a former Governor and a member of Congress, he would have had his license revoked after getting 11 speeding tickets in four years. Knowing who he is, the police probably didn't cite him for at least 50 potential tickets during that same time.

Also, someone with that kind of record obviously couldn't care less about other drivers on the road. Why should he have to be drunk or stoned to get hit with a stronger penalty? It seems worse to me that he did what he did WITHOUT being drunk... at least in that case he's have an excuse for being so mindless.

theDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 10:39 AM   #8
okartguy
Founding Member

This guy definitely needs to be held accountable for his actions, but try to keep in mind that this sort of thing could happen to almost anyone. How many times have you guys exceeded the posted limit by 20 mph (or a lot more)? I know I have. I can tell myself that I'm in control or that I have plenty of room to slow down or that there's no traffic around, but we all know how fallible that sort of reasoning is. Here's another piece of living proof. Sure, Janklow was in a car and he certainly knew better, but I don't believe that he was out to do anyone bodily harm. He now has to deal with the aftermath of poor decision-making. I just hope that this whole ordeal is a reminder that no matter whether you're in the cage or on the bike, you don't really know what might happen at the next intersection or around the next corner.

PS - Does anyone else find it ironic that a banner for radar detectors appears at the top of this thread?
okartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 11:36 AM   #9
Sam_Childress
Founding Member

"He's not going to let a bad Saturday afternoon ruin his career." WTF????????

I've had my share of "bad saturday afternoons" but it never involved killing somebody.
Sam_Childress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 12:07 PM   #10
KPaulCook
Banned

You are right it will be a plea bargin, he will resign and spend the rest of his days in SD living the good life
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote