Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 07-31-2003, 08:16 AM   #1
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Well..

The Hiyabusa engine is making 175 at the crank (>155 at the rear wheel) from a 1.3L engine, includes both engine AND transmission, so why bother with the overweight, lower tech approach, which requires designing a new engine, and who's 200 lbs does NOT include a transmission?

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-31-2003, 08:28 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: 200-inch Baby-Block Chevy-Engined Motorcycle!

Omigosh! 1 HP per cubic inch! (sarcasm off)

Don't forget that you have to add your radiator/cooling system as well as a transmission which will make the entire package make a GoldWong look small.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:35 AM   #3
Tigercub
Founding Member

Why bother with a pushrod engine anymore these days - sorry HD, I still love ya. You can get twice the horsepower by just reving the engine twice as fast. There are plenty of oversquare engines, with cams on top to produce all the power you want. What's needed is light weight. We went backwards in the '70s through the '90s with overweight bikes. Now we're getting light weight and high horsepower. Riding bikes is mostly about going around corners. You can go fast in many types of vehicles, but only bikes go fast around corners. For that you need good brakes, suspension and chassis - you don't need much motor for that.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 09:10 AM   #4
Mashuri
Founding Member

Well, actually it's the opposite. Sports cars, with their 4 wide contact patches and low CG's, corner better than bikes while the bikes tend to out-accelerate them on the straights. But I get the drift of where you're coming from. Keep those bikes revving higher while getting smaller and lighter!
Mashuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 09:13 AM   #5
Benji155
Founding Member

Take the SV650 for instance (I can hear the sarcastic responses coming already). Power-wise it's nothing spectacular, but it only weighs 426lbs. ('99 model) fueled up. That's the same weight as an R6 ('99 model), but with a whole lot more torque available down low. In the tight stuff it'll keep up with or go past just about anything else.

What I can't understand is how Motorcyclist can give the 600RR the crown when it gained weight. It's roughly the same weight as last year's GSX-R1000! Unfortunately, the new Gixxer thou' has gained about seven pounds this year. Also unfortunate, both new SV 650s have gained some pounds as well. I thought the special mold-casting thingy was supposed to lower the lard. If I have to ride something with that new ugly frame it ough to at least be good for something other than stiffness. The old bike was plenty stiff to me. It seems like manufacturers are backtracking a bit, hopefully this trend goes back the other way. Hats off to Kawasaki and Yamaha though for lowering the weight of their 600 even more.
Benji155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 09:33 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Yeah! And what about the VFR and Concours too!
Old 07-31-2003, 09:39 AM   #7
ekimtoor
Founding Member

Hey! Listen!! Forget that motor...I have some plans for this wonderful flying concrete boat that would make marvelous motorcycle!
ekimtoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 09:48 AM   #8
KPaulCook
Banned

I think a company in Australia built a V-8 sport bike called a Drysdale? Maybe I am wrong or lying (right longshyt)? I don't think it was pushrod though.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 09:52 AM   #9
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Look the New Drysdale 1000-V8 Cruiser:

click here for link
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 10:06 AM   #10
SmokeU
Registered Member

Evidentally you need to catch up on your reading. A couple of years ago or so, Motorcyclist(I think) did a head to head comparo of a Corvette Z06 vs GSXR 1000 on a drag strip and a road course(Streets of Willow or something). The GSXR stomped the Z06 in every test, and on the road course actually cornered at higher G loads than the car. They were noticably higher too.