Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 07-25-2003, 06:58 AM   #81
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: Deaths among riders 50 and over increased 26 percent.

You know SV650's do the best rolling burnouts.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2003, 06:59 AM   #82
pplassm
Founding Member

Oops! Sorry! I didn't see the video!

ROFL!

PP
Old 07-25-2003, 07:11 AM   #83
DataDan
Founding Member

See this post for my comments on helmet law repeal in Texas, Arkansas, and Florida. The executive summary is "Fortunately, the wholesale carnage that some expect after a helmet law is repealed doesn't occur. Though for the worse, the change is much less serious than predicted."

My guess is that the increase in deaths of riders 50 and over that has occurred since 1999 is due primarily to the growth in popularity of motorcycling in that age group. But the demographic change is made worse because many of those riders are newbies (or so the anecdotal evidence indicates). Harry Hurt found that riders with 6 months in the saddle or less are 40% more likely to crash than more experienced riders. Thus, along with rising numbers of 50+ riders, we also have increased average risk in the age group due to relative inexperience.

As I said above, age 50+ riders are more likely to die helmeted, which presumably means that they're also more like to ride helmeted.

Drinking is less of a problem with 50+ riders, who die with some blood alcohol less often than average and much less often than the than worst offenders, the 35-44 group.

As an old guy with one big bike (ST1100) and a few others that aren't exactly featherweights, I really don't think it's size as much as it is experience.
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 07:18 AM   #84
olderguy
Founding Member

Yeah. It's a statistical thing.

At birth you're given a certain amount of luck

and by the time you hit your 50's you've pretty much used up most of it.

olderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 08:14 AM   #85
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Clarification: Is it old inexperienced old guys on new big bikes??

Sorry I should of said this instead.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 09:16 AM   #86
McCueRC
Registered Member

Default URL for the NHTSA summary for 2001

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd...2001mcycle.pdf

drinking + bad driving records = higher death rate.
McCueRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 09:23 AM   #87
ROWDYBOY
Founding Member

I'm 62 and ride everyday. I think I speak for a lots of us "oldtimers" when I say that we who ride responsibly are in no hurry to speed our demise, having lasted as long as we have. One fact is clear to us all- "the bike can do more than I can." We recognize that our refexes may not be what they once were and ride accordingly. Our testosterone levels are down (well at least a little whether we want to admit it or not) and that's a good thing. We recognize the danger of the alcohol/testosterone mix that seems to play such a big part in the deaths of younger riders. we tend not to go into Hwy 1 switchbacks at 100mph and tend to keep our place in the traffic lane leaving lane splitting to the "rocketeers". This by no means diminshes the joy we feel riding our bikes. I really love my BMW K75 and Ducati ST2. They suit my needs and I love the flexibility the luggage gives me for weekends. I can admire the abilities of the pro racers without attempting to be them.
ROWDYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 09:24 AM   #88
ROWDYBOY
Founding Member

I'm 62 and ride everyday. I think I speak for a lots of us "oldtimers" when I say that we who ride responsibly are in no hurry to speed our demise, having lasted as long as we have. One fact is clear to us all- "the bike can do more than I can." We recognize that our refexes may not be what they once were and ride accordingly. Our testosterone levels are down (well at least a little whether we want to admit it or not) and that's a good thing. We recognize the danger of the alcohol/testosterone mix that seems to play such a big part in the deaths of younger riders. we tend not to go into Hwy 1 switchbacks at 100mph and tend to keep our place in the traffic lane leaving lane splitting to the "rocketeers". This by no means diminshes the joy we feel riding our bikes. I really love my BMW K75 and Ducati ST2. They suit my needs and I love the flexibility the luggage gives me for weekends. I can admire the abilities of the pro racers without attempting to be them.
ROWDYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 10:13 AM   #89
bcvaughan
Founding Member

to check out the NHTSA site go here:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...e03/recent.htm

"Motorcyclists age 40 and over riding larger motorcycle engine sizes account for the fastest growing group of motorcyclist fatalities"
bcvaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 10:14 AM   #90
sjriott
Founding Member

Default Re: Sjitiot

Give me a break. I ride a lot on and off road and see tons of Harley's and other cruisers at the bars. Riding and drinking is a bad combo period. You think they are all in there drinking lemonade and iced tea?

It's MOrons like you who I'm referring to. If you want to drink and ride, go ahead. Darwin's theory of natural selection was discovered by studying individuals like you.