Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 07-24-2003, 12:11 PM   #51
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Deaths among riders 50 and over increased 26 percent.

life ain't easy when yer' fat an' greasey
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2003, 12:32 PM   #52
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Agree. So common is the problem ins Seattle (Cell phone yacking ***** in the SUV)

It is real problem here in Seattle. Typical is a woman (40ish) in an SUV on a cell phone driving down I-5 at 15 mph above the speed limit. She doesn't signal. Sees the size of the SUV as a license to cut people off. I swear the majority of my near misses the cell phone yacking ***** in the SUV is to blame.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 12:47 PM   #53
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Sorry KPaul, but I'm afraid that particular cat is out of the bag, and has taken off down the road only to be run over by an over 50 helmetless Harley rider who subsequently lost control of his bike and killed himself. Now if only the cat had been wearing a helmet this whole tragedy would have been averted. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 12:47 PM   #54
cornercarver
Founding Member

I haven't read all the responsese, so perhaps this has already been said, but maybe not...

Statistics are sol worthless out of context. A growth in the number of fatal m/c adccidents doesn't mean anything without knowing the change in the number of motorcycles on the road. Same goes for changes in the number of new riders over 50.

Even the light truck statistics are probably more benign than they appear. If SUV fatalities are up about the same percentage as SUV sales, it is hardly a relevant change.

I don't understand why the NHTSA insists on releasing these studies with so much data missing. Surely, they have the data would that make the stats meaningful, but they'd rather issue press releases that make the numbers seem as scary as possible for the folks who don't both to read carefully, or who don't really understand statistics.

Frustrating. What amazes me more is that the motorcycle lobbying organizations don't request the information and publish press releases that correct the oversight. Never once have a seen a report that puts those statistics in context, and the NHTSA has released a similar report every year snce I started riding.

--sam
cornercarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 12:50 PM   #55
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: I disagree...

One word Fangit, sarcasm. Feel free to look in up. VWW
Old 07-24-2003, 02:08 PM   #56
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Sjitiot

I don't really care that you like wearing a helmet either. How do you know if any bikers spend their time riding from bar to bar, are you following them? For your information, for every biker at a bar there are 99 guys and gals that came in cars to boose away their stress. Bikers are less than 1% of the population. In other words, if a guy rides a bike to a bar and has a couple, so what.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 02:45 PM   #57
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default You missed the irony

It was an SV650!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 02:46 PM   #58
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." Isn't it telling that the quotes of H.L. Mencken are still relevant after all the years that have past since he first made them? VWW
Old 07-24-2003, 02:49 PM   #59
flybuy
Founding Member

Sam, good observation, you were one of the few who paid attention during statistics!!!! (unlike me) What they don't talk about is that the baby-boomer generation is riding again. I'm sure the number of over 50's type riding has increased and will continue to increase, probably in the 26% range.
flybuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 03:32 PM   #60
fireworks
Founding Member

Well here is my two cents. Sorry MO and everybody else that thinks wearing a helmet is your choice but that's just crap. It should be mandatory. If you knew that you were going to get hurt you wouldn't do whatever it was that hurt you. Wearing a helmet WILL help in a crash. You might still get run over but you noggin gets a chance. That leads to another topic which is leathers and armour. I imagine the testing experiences of MO would confirm that wearing a helmet, leathers, and armour has been the only thing that has let them walk away from a crash on numerous occasions. So why the heck does MO not take a stand instead of just 'recommending' it? Was it this publication that had an employee hit by a truck (I can't remember)? I believe that there was mention that being fully protected contributed to reducing his injuries. For God's sake this isn't rocket science. How many people here think the bungee jumping if crazy? Why? What's the difference? You wear protective gear, your more protected. Period.
fireworks is offline   Reply With Quote