Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 07-24-2003, 07:46 AM   #21
sjriott
Founding Member

Default Re: Deaths among riders 50 and over increased 26 percent.

The death rate HAS to be higher for non-helmet wearing riders.

Let's face it, all these clowns that are getting older and have a bunch of cash are buying toys to make them feel like rebels. They were probably dorks in school and feel like the buying a Harley will make them cool and liked. Too bad most of them have never ridden a bike before.

You've seen them, brand new bike, leather fringe chaps, rag on their head and a fat chick on the back. They ride from their house to downtown to go to lunch and tell their buddies the next day what an awesome ride they had.

I took and advanced motorcycle safety class several years ago. There were a bunch of those guys that signed up for the class that shouldn't have even been allowed to have a motorcycle license. They could barely even ride the bikes they brought with them. It was scary and a couple of them almost fell during the class.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2003, 07:57 AM   #22
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

Default Young guys on fast bikes

And in my experience, I've mostly seen squids with thier Japanese death-sleds stuffed into the sides of mountains or cars......BUT.... they can have an open casket funeral due to thier full face helmets not allowing thier beautiful young countenances to be marked in any way.

Of course thier internal organs are all mush and usually a limb or two becomes detached due to the ridiculously high speeds at which they meet thier demise, but a nice suit will hide all this.
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 08:14 AM   #23
seruzawa
The Toad

The death rate HAS to be higher for non-helmet wearing riders.

It would seem so, but it wouldn't be the first time that something that would appear to be logical was actually false. That's why I would like to see scientific proof, not conjecture.

It could be that the helmetless guys generally ride around much more slowly and carefully on the average than sportbikers. Certainly the insurances rates would indicate that the greatest rate of fatality is amongst sportbikers who are virtually always helmeted.

So, no, it doesn't HAVE to be that the fatality rate for unhelmeted riders is higher than helemted ones.

Old 07-24-2003, 08:27 AM   #24
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Baby boomers drinking

I think you are right, comparing two years only doesn't tell you much. It doesn't tell if this is a one year blip or a trend. And the data is not broken down by type of bike, helmet use etc. This is why I posed the question. My intuition says it is a combination of weekend warriors on too big bikes and helmet use. Too bad we don't have more data.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 08:34 AM   #25
KPaulCook
Banned

Almost as bad of reading one guys economic theory and thinking it answers all questions and can solve all problems. Seriously there is not enough data to make any conclusions. I am sure your non-state college education told you that. This why I posed the question about helmets. Is it old guys on big bikes? Do you have a theory? Or do you need to read what your economic guru has to say? It is interesting to read folks opinions on the cause.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 08:44 AM   #26
atk74seattle
Registered Member

Default Re: Excellent Post

Isn't DOT a self-testing standard where they perform the tests themselves and then proclaim that it met them? Not like Snell, where they have to send them in...
atk74seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 08:45 AM   #27
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: dead horse whackage, pt. 3

They don't. Theres a little sticker (promptly removed) inside that says "this helmet not for highway use, or off road use only '' or something to that effect. The beanie helmet crowd doesn't care about DOT certification or else they'd be wearing full-face Shoei's.

this ground has been covered a number of times kids. The rise in fatality's is obviously from drunk 55 year olds on their R6's and CBR600RR's. Everyone knows it's those pansy-ass geriatric sportbike guys parked at the taverns on sunny days that cause so much trouble.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 09:02 AM   #28
Fangit
Founding Member

Default Novice riders (both young and old) take heed...

And no, apparently this guy had perfectly normal vision...although I'm not sure about his IQ...

http://www.rsxworld.com/gallery/data...ashzukimpg.mpg
Fangit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 09:02 AM   #29
pushrod
Founding Member

As a crash survivor, I'm looking to get back into the wind - as soon as I heal up.

I was wondering - anyone ever done a study of the percentage of crash veterans that "get back on the horse that threw them"?

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 09:04 AM   #30
sarnali
Founding Member

What a stupid *****, he should have been on a VFR or Concours
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote