Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 07-24-2003, 07:50 AM   #11
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Deaths among riders 50 and over increased 26 percent.

How nice that everyone is assuming that the fatalities are a result of helmetless riding.

Too bad that data isn't shown. Actually I can't recall ever seeing a study that showed that fatalities for helmetless riders were the vast majority of fatalities. Plenty of idiots whack themselves fully helmeted, you know.

It'd be interesting to see exactly what is the proportion of helmetless fatalities. At this point it's simply conjecture, unless someone has some actual data. I do know that states that allow helmetless riding don't have any particular greater fatality rate that those that don't allow it.

Knowing the IIHS if such data existed they would be screaming it from the rooftop.

And don't flame me as if I'm recommending that peole don't wear helmets. I'd just like to see some scientific data. Everyone also assumed that fatalities would go up when the speed limits increased from 55 to 65. They didn't.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2003, 07:51 AM   #12
ValknMag
Founding Member

Oh, you just expect us to take you at your word that you've never killed yourself?
ValknMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 07:57 AM   #13
Lowrez
Founding Member

That's just the smell of a squid doing a rolling burn-out while wearing flip-flops.

Now this guy needs a helmet

Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 08:03 AM   #14
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Excellent Post

I see more and more skull caps here in Seattle (WA has a helmet law). I wonder how these things make it through DOT testing.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 08:07 AM   #15
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Excellent Post. Another issue for the AMA I think

"Motorcycle skills training is even worse. It's impossible to get a space in the state-sponsored MSF classes in the Chicago area unless you get online as soon as the schedules are posted. They were completely filled within 24 hours this year." AMA should help sponsor these things. Or lobby for more.

Old 07-24-2003, 08:11 AM   #16
Haird
Founding Member

The increase in deaths among riders age 50 and over was 140, from 532 in 2001 to 672 in 2002. Applying a chi-square test (I hope correctly) the difference is not statistically significant. If anyone out there really knows how to do these tests, please carry on.
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 08:12 AM   #17
KPaulCook
Banned

That is why I posed it as a question. Maybe it is old boomers buying bigger bikes than the are capable of riding. I don't know. But the fact that the death rate is much higher for 50 year olds than it was last year is alarming right. I see too many weekend warriors, out of shape boomers, on large cruisers.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:13 AM   #18
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Old guys on big bikes

On my 200 plus miles of week riding my observations are I see too many weekend warriors, out of shape boomers, on large cruisers.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:17 AM   #19
steve_griffiths
Founding Member

I Like the "buy a cheap used, not so powerful bike" idea. I came back after about 17 years without riding. I had about 40,000 mile of commuting behing me (I'm 46). I was at the stage of deciding between a mistress or a bike and decided that a bike was cheaper, more fun, and probably safer, so I found a 10 year old GS500 with 3400 miles on the click. Took me 2 days to find out I was still into bikes, but I went through MSF, and hung onto it for about a year and then moved to a VFR. With the trade in, I ended up spending $750 for a bike that first year. Because when I stopped I was riding a Honda Hawk 400 50 miles a day on the freeway, the VFR would have been prety scary to start up with.

Just 2c
steve_griffiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 08:25 AM   #20
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

It is interesting to watch people advance their own agenda, and pet theories by reading things into statistics when there is no evidence in the data to support them. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote