Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 07-16-2003, 07:57 AM   #31
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Biker jailed for 157mph ride in U.K.

You make some good points Half the time we are our own worst enemys, be it loud pipes or ******* behaviour like triple digits in traffic.

I would have rode my bike to work today but I skipped out to do some yard work (my other hobby), I'll ride the other 364 days this year (and every year) to make up for it.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-16-2003, 07:59 AM   #32
sarnali
Founding Member

I FINALY FIGURED OUT HOW TO MAKE PARAGRAPHS

YOU GUYS HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH THIS HAS BOTHERD ME
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 08:17 AM   #33
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Better check again. True common law does not recognize an act as a crime unless there is an injured party. What you have in England today is not recognizable as commom law. It more resembles the court of the exchequer of the king. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 09:20 AM   #34
waepoint
Founding Member

Awww, go easy on yourself. That was just an indicated 150+, which on the Uber-Hawk was probably more like 147, which is a perfectly sensible and rational speed.
waepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 10:07 AM   #35
SmokeU
Registered Member

I've seen 135 on my Magna on my way to a friends house one day. Went 90ish miles in just over an hour. Course it was on the lonely straight(read:BORING) highways in SD.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:21 AM   #36
seruzawa
The Toad

And on the autobahn you would be quite right. However on a fairly crowded road with a substantially lower speed limit things are completely different. I don't know what the speed limit is on the "busy A412" but I'll bet it's more like 60 mph.

At a differential speed of 80 mph the bike begins to resemble a kinetic energy weapon.

I agree with you that our national max of 75mph on Interstates, especially through places like Nebraska or Wyoming or Nevada east of Vegas or Tahoe, are ridiculously low.

However speeding like that through traffic travelling at say 50 mph is simply criminally irresponsible. Fortunately for me during my younger and stupider days my old Ksaki W2650 only topped at about 100.

And if you wish to start a new political party for the purpose of ridding the roads of half-blind octegenarians you've got my vote! In fact, I'll move to Florida and give you 5 votes!!
Old 07-16-2003, 10:29 AM   #37
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Bikers responsible for anti-moto laws.

I understand your sentiment, but the lack of entry level bikes in the 300-400cc area is due to the refusal of the public to buy them. It's not because the manufacturers refuse to build them. Get out of the US and there are loads of smaller bikes available.

In the US people either want 100-150HP sport replicas or overweight cruisers or a few naked streetbikes. Nothing else sells.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:31 AM   #38
seruzawa
The Toad

Well on that Interstate you have to run at 125 just to keep from falling asleep.

I shudder when I think of droning across Wyoming on I-80 with Nixon's stupid 55MPH speed limit.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:33 AM   #39
seruzawa
The Toad

Answering our own posts now, are we?

Must be the fumes from those burning zeners.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:34 AM   #40
wakked1
Founding Member

Not that I condone what these two did, but those crying about the immense damage done by a bike at 150mph need to be introduced to Mr Physics. Mr Physics says a 750lb bike (say 550lb wet + 200 rider) going 150mph generates approximately 35% of the energy of a 4500 lb SUV travelling at 70mph. By your logic, if a bike doing 150mph is insane, then we should restrict SUV's to well under 25mph.

I realized that's grossly simplistic, but the point is there.

That said, I think going 150mph on the street is stuuuupid. Not so much for the direct threat you pose to other people, but because it'll take the road crews for ever to find all your body bits when you bin it, causing inordinate amount of traffic delays and backups for more intelligent people.

I actually own a ZX-12R, and can barely crack 140mph on a track (balls too small). I did Ludicrous Speed exactly once on public roads, in the middle of a desert state I shall not mention, but I don't feel particular smart about doing it.

Seeing the damage done at slower get offs mades me think real hard about the impact of hitting a rock or pothole at triple digit speeds.

wakked1 is offline   Reply With Quote