Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 07-16-2003, 06:59 AM   #21
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Re: Biker jailed for 157mph ride in U.K.

Yes, the government should take more of our money. Why don't you write them a check right now??
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-16-2003, 07:11 AM   #22
EbonFlame
Founding Member

Guilty. Guess that's the great thing about these track days. I'm in the process of 'gloriously misspending' my youth right now, and while 'speed kills,' and my intellect tells me riding (or driving) fast is dangerous, my passion keeps the throttle pinned a little longer than is legal. I'll admit to being on an just excursion last weekend and finding a long, sweeping highway turn that looked lonely. I'll admit my little suzuki indicated a buck-thirty-two.

Anyone I've known 'round here who's been caught with Big Speed has had to walk home, pay some impound fees, and have a nasty ticket... but not jail time. Methinks that pair should be punished, but that's a little far.

Fastest speed ever recorded on British roads? Wow. Those brits don't get out much.

Now I don't know too much about Europe from personal experience (sadly), but I do know a few things and have a few opinions. First of all, speed limits in the left lane of freeways are ridiculous ways to slow traffic and generate revenue... and also that in Germany, spain (at least de facto), and Italy (I believe), there are plenty of speed-derestricted zones.

These two need to just take more road trips, I think. As for us Americans? Hrm.
EbonFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 07:23 AM   #23
bdesmo
Founding Member

After you,

If you did some research you would no doubt know that they had pictures of the license plates (look at MCN website)and that you do yourself a whole heaps of favors (or favours) in the UK if you admit wrongdoing. Had they fought it and been found guilty they probably would have been staring at 6 months in the slammer. Please, before you pass judgement engage brain and be sure of your statements. My two pence worth.

See you at Brands
bdesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 07:32 AM   #24
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

I'm with you on this one Abe. Traffic courts which seemingly operate under the Code Nepoleon are definitely not what our forefathers had in mind for our justice system. It is good that you pay no mind to piffling whiners who beg for protection from the great nanny state. Bring back Commom Law, where there is no crime without an injured party. Yours in Liberty VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 07:35 AM   #25
ScottE
Registered Member

I have a zx12 and it would only take a short burst......I run the 1/4 mile in 9.56@147mph+/-

Give me the sweet spot of 2nd gear at moderately fast highway speeds and I can get to the top of third gear (approx 150 mph) in a 5+/- second burst...

Unless you own or have ridden a modern "hyperbike" like the Busa or zx12....It is hard to appreciate how rapidly you can get yourself in deep doo-doo
ScottE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 08:11 AM   #26
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Seruzawa, If these two were doing 157 mph on the autobahn this wouldn't even be a news story. Apparently the Germans do not think these speeds on some public roads are a danger to society. I think that the automatic issuing of drivers licenses to octogenarians presents a far greater danger to those that use our highways than a few speeding motorcyclists. My own grandfather, who parked is Rambler using the braille method with his bumpers, was mailed a five year extension to his license when he was in his late eighties. He died three weeks later. Don't be so quick to condem these young men for exceeding the government mandated speed limit. You and I were young once, and if we had bikes capable of those speeds I'm fairly sure that both of us would have satified our curiosity about their top speed at least once. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 08:13 AM   #27
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

What I'm saying is that he made it sound like he just rolled the throttle on for a second or two without shifting. I know these things accelerate quickly, but it's not like it instantly gets up to those sort of speeds while using the power to pass trucks.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:23 AM   #28
bigjames
Premium Member

Let's see, several posters (probably poseurs) seem to have a problem with the rule of law. Several say jail the idiots. I must be somewhere in between. I generally cruise the slabs at around 80 (on my E-Glide or K1200LT), just to stay alive. I try to NOT ride my sideacar rig on the slab for the same reason, but have to sometimes just to get where I need to go! I personally HAVE NO PROBLEM AT ALL with jailing people for doing over twice the legal limit. Damn guys. they weren't just being stupid, they were endangering everyone around them. You don't think a motorcycle doing 160 or wouldn't just punch right through a windsheild if the idiot lost control! Guess kiling folks in stupid accidents is ok with some folks. I can hear the posts now, 'But that didn't happen'. Right, this time....

Thinking while riding it a good thing, admitting you were speeding is a stupid thing, getting caught and then admitting is really stupid and deserves jail time!

By the way, Brits don't have ALL the same rights in court that we do, keep that in mind...but then again, at the rate we are going, we don't (or won't) have all those rights anymore either.

Like one poster said, it is the perception of motorcyclists that screws us everytime!

WAKE UP! If you think what these idiots were doing i perfectly ok, you aren't part of the problem, you are the problem (right up there with the loud pipes save lives yo-yos, that's right a Harley rider just said that....)

BigJames, who actually rode his motorcycle to work today (this is Ride Your Bike To Work Day isn't it?)....but I do that everyday....
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 08:34 AM   #29
bdesmo
Founding Member

England last I checked was under Common Law, they invented it.
bdesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 08:48 AM   #30
sarnali
Founding Member

It was the fastest speed recorded on British roads because when those guy's want to jam they go over to Spain or Germany and do it there. I got a buck forty out of my Bandit going over the pass.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote