Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 07-07-2003, 11:01 AM   #21
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: Yep

I agree.

But pipes sound cool.

Perusing the Akrapovic website I see average gains of 4-6 db (in the midrange of most bikes) of noise up to 100db. About the sound level of a subway. Some recommendations are that you should not listen to this amount of noise for longer than 2 hours at a stretch. I wear earplugs. Unless someone is right next to the source, they are not experiencing 100db of sound.

I'm sure D&Ds are louder. Drag pipes too. Both are annoying. But not nearly as annoying as the distorted 4/4 beat coming from the bling bling whip.
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2003, 11:03 AM   #22
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: LOUD PIPES MAY HAVE SAVED MY LIFE THIS WEEKEND.

It wasn't your pipe or intake, it was your clutch that scared that deer away.
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 11:17 AM   #23
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA and Noise

I've heard that there are 4 of us on the planet. If the other two would just come forward we could rule the world.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 11:35 AM   #24
obandoj
Founding Member

I first heard about the summit from my Blue Ribbon Coalition magazine last week and agree with it 100 percent, excesive noise both in the woods and on the street creates lots of enemies for riders of all different kinds of bikes and ATV's. They claim that some aftermarket pipe manufacturers are jumping on the band wagon with promises to quiet their products, they are mainly off-road pipe companies and I for one applaud thier effort and commitment.

Now if we could get the street pipe companies to do the same, that would be great.

If we could get ABATE, HOG and others to join in, the world and mainly non-riding types would be less likely to help the enviromentalists and the goverment try to close the land and harasss the riding community into oblivion.

The myth that loud pipes save lives, goes hand in hand with the ones about not using the front brake because you go over the handle bars and layin her down to slow down in a hurry.

Wake up noise bugs, your self gratification today, is going to cost the rest of us dearly in the future!
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 11:40 AM   #25
Closet_Bad_Ass
Founding Member

First, let it be known that I can't stand loud pipes. They're an embarassment to the collective motorcycling community whether you have them or not. Guilt by association is the name of the game here.

But on a side note, do you know what's equally annoying? Those damn 4 inch diameter tail pipes on Honda Civics, Ford Focuses and . . . uh . . . Honda Civics. What the f*ck is the point of them. Not only are they loud, but the sound frequency they emit is highly irritating. (A point hit on by an earlier, well articulated post.) Although this is pure speculation, I would guess that 1 in 1,000 of those exhaust conversions allows for an improvement in performance. Do you think any of those guys (or girls) know how to remap the injection system on a relatively sophisticated engine management system? What's funny is when you see some older woman riding around in one of these ridiculously modified cars (Dodge Neons with huge "VTEC" stickers just under the 10" tall rear wing) that she obviously had to borrow from her grandson.

Back to my point. It is unfortunate that little issues like these divide the motorcycling community into pieces. It used to be that I considered there to be two different categories of motorcyclists; those that waved back and those that didn't. (Funny thing is that those that don't wave back are usually the ones with extra loud pipes. Maybe they don't see me because their eyes are vibrating too wildly in their sockets.) Now, though, people riding around on motorcycles have too many different agendas to be able to consider us a single, or even two, communities. And it appears that each faction's disdain for the others grows stronger and stronger every year. In the future, motorcycle.com should be split into anallysafemotorcyce.com, poseurmotorcycle.com and iwantmychildrentogrowupwithoneparentmotorcycle.com . Which one should you subscribe to? Or should it just be left as motorcycle.com?
Closet_Bad_Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 11:46 AM   #26
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Good point.

It tickles the shiit out of me that all the loud ass drag pipes or porkers actually rob horsepower under 7 or 8 k, Cruisers are pretty anemic to start with, then they knock off about 10 HP or so to make their bike loud, then they still want to race. I laugh my ass off when I come up behind one at a good clip, half the time when they notice me I get this big blast of black smoke while the bike craps all over itself, then they start puttin' them 50 horses to the ground, 'course by that time I'm half a mile down the road. Unless it's a Ducati or an Aprilia, the only way I catch them is when they're parked!, I don't like to get too close to Ducati's anyway, I'm afraid the clutch is going to grenade and scratch my Triumph.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 11:48 AM   #27
sarnali
Founding Member

So is it Lawrence Welk, or Tony Bennet on the ol' CD there Dad?
Old 07-07-2003, 11:50 AM   #28
SmokeU
Registered Member

Sounds like a plan. I think we should try and find them and overthrow the world's goverments.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:54 AM   #29
sarnali
Founding Member

The trouble is some of the worst offenders are the one's that won't be around for long, As soon as the "biker thing" passes they'll move on to the next fasion statement. Those of us who are in for life will be left with the consequence's of their selfishness.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:58 AM   #30
sarnali
Founding Member

If you guys (and gals) had any sense you'd agree with me, however that would be no fun so motorcycle.com with its diversity of opinions is the only way to go.