Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 07-07-2003, 07:33 AM   #11
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Sport bikes loud whine

Right. sure Cruiser guys with straight pipes far outnumber the occasional loud sport bike guy.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2003, 08:36 AM   #12
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA and Noise

I ride one week a year in Colorado. There is usually a H-D gathering in Durango at about the same time I'm out there. Many of us dirt bikers and H-D riders end up staying in the little town of Ouray at the same time. Some of the H-D bikes are muffled ok and some are loud as hell. Kinda ruins the peaceful nature of the place. Some of the off road bikes are ok and some are loud as hell. I'm sure John Q. Public doesn't think well of either group. In town, the H-Ds tend to drown out the off-road bikes. Howsomever, up on the high trails there are no H-Ds. Up there, the loud dirt bikes (Yamaha 4 strokes most notably) are a problem. There we share the land with hikers, mountain bikers and horse riders, not to mention all the critters that live there. Without our presence, all is quiet among them (except for the occasional horse phart, the odd Jeep or 4-wheeler). When those with whom we share the neighborhood are upset by our presence we have a problem. You know if your bike is too loud for where you ride. Make the adjustment and don't wait for one of these organizations to make amends for you. Yes, I'm perfect and feel justified in pointing out all of your imperfections.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 08:53 AM   #13
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Don't put sportbikes in there

And most, if not all, of those cans violate the noise laws, which make them just as bad as any cruiser.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:12 AM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You put that nice, quiet Muzzy can on your ZX-9 yet?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 09:27 AM   #15
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Akropovic is the only way!
Old 07-07-2003, 09:49 AM   #16
SmokeU
Registered Member

How can you be perfect?!?! I thought I was the only one that was perfect, hehe wooooooo
Old 07-07-2003, 10:29 AM   #17
webdev511
Registered Member

Default Everyone with non Stock Pipes is out of line

I don't care what you ride, if it doesn't pass EPA specs you're braking the law. When was the last time you saw an aftermarket pipe for ANY brand or style of bike that passed EPA muster. Well stop looking because they don't exist. They are just too damn expensive to manufacture and don't sound any different than stock.

The fines for loud pipes should be on a sliding scale. 4 db over stock is a nusance fine, 10db even more so, more than that, well If it were me, I would impound your bike. Oh, is that too harsh? Guess you should have tought of that when you paid $500 for that new pipe. Maybe you should have spent that money on some suspension work for a sport bike, or maybe some more chrome for a cruiser.

On the other hand if you have a loud pipe and you're in Califorina, you're easy money for the man too. We have a budget crunch out here and we want your choice of pipes to help us make up some of that lost dot bomb income we're missing.

webdev511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 10:33 AM   #18
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Amen to that!

I live in an area of town that you might refer to as being "in a state of chronic socio-economic depression" if you were being pee-cee.

I call it the freakin' ghetto. I am the only Europaen-American living within six blocks in any direction and I'm here to tell y'all:

It's the $200 Caprice with the $10,000 system that makes more trouble in this Metropolis than ANY bike I have EVER heard.

That said: Here it's not the Harley guys who are the problem, even though they are disproportionately represented in the riding demographic (this is the Deep South).

No, Sir, here it's the Stuntaz and the Blingaz who run WTFO "on the pipe."

And I might remind y'all of one of the very few things that I agreed with Mitch Boehm on, and it is this: No modern sprotbike made needs a pipe. Back in the '80s? Sure. Now? The frontline bikes are being built with titanium cans, so putting an aftermarket on there is only going to save, what? 3-4 pounds? Maybe. And as the Big Four have made great strides in powah by finally paying attention to exaust tuning, an aftermarket exaust might net you what? 3-5 hp? Maybe.

And for the Harley guys (I know whereof I speak, I've owned two) the pipes are mostly vanity. The fast Harley riders I know also own a second, faster bike.

There, that should start a flame or two. I'll check back later.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:39 AM   #19
webdev511
Registered Member

Did I miss something? Since when did we as motorcyclists get the "right" to fit pipes that violate Fedral noise standards? Is compliance with current laws and regulations an incremental errosion of "rights"?

There isn't any grey area here. There are more people on the roads. There are more bikes on the road. Everything is getting crowded, so crap like this is getting more attention. We can either clean up our own act, or face annual inspecitons and stricter enforcement.

It's up to you. Ride a quiet bike that doesn't draw attention, or become the center of the wrong type of attention.
webdev511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 10:50 AM   #20
Grover
Founding Member

Default LOUD PIPES MAY HAVE SAVED MY LIFE THIS WEEKEND.

Hell must have frozen over, but I swear to God that my pipes may have actually saved my life this weekend.

The bike is a '00 Ducati with an aftermarket exhaust and no air box cover (I think the intake noise is actually louder than the exhaust, but it doesn't really matter). I'm cruising along at a pretty good pace through a nice twisty road in Northern Wisconsin when a deer absolutely flies out of the woods in front of me and is headed for the road. Just as the deer exits the heavy foiliage, and mid way through it's leap onto the roadway, something obviously scares the sh!t out of it. So it lands on the up-slope of the ditch, almost falls over, and leaps back into the woods. I know the damn thing didn't see me, so all I can think of is that it heard my bike, nearly shat itself, and got back into the woods as quick as it could. Not the typical excuse for loud pipes, but it *almost* seems a legitimate argument in this case. Rest assured, this event hasn't changed my opinion regarding the "loud pipes save lives" argument. It's still stupid. I just thought it was an interesting story.

For what it's worth, I could live with sound regulations, as I've heard plenty of ducs that are relatively quite but still achieve that distinct Ducati sound. And although my bike may be a bit loud, it's nothing compared to the rediculous amount of sound that comes from all the straight-pipe Harley's we have running around here in Milwaukee. I've managed to educate most of my non-cycling friends that the jag-offs with ultra-loud pipes on their Harleys only sound like they're going fast.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote