Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 06-24-2003, 08:48 AM   #11
webdev511
Founding Member

Default Made for TV, but hardly shown

I am talking about WSBK Superpole. It totally rocked when speed showed it for last year's world superbike round at Laguna, but for some wierd reason, they don't show the other rounds?

I agree with some of the other posters. Just give me MotoGP, WSBK, and AMA Superbikes IN A TIMELY MANNER, and I will be happy.
webdev511 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2003, 08:51 AM   #12
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Speed TV MC Changes

What do you expect. Look at the money in Nascar from advertising, look at all the dip****s who think going around in circles fast is the height of motor racing. How many of them do you think even watched any of the wrc series or any other racing? Racing to them is either in a straight line or a circle. Thats who Speed panders too.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 08:56 AM   #13
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

This is a great idea. I'm sure anything longride can put together would more literate and less emotionally charged than what I could put together.

I just got through reading the news to my wife and she brought up a good point. With speedtv, M/C racing was a minor market. Kind of like a small fish in the very big lake of four wheel fans. At OLN it is quite possible that motorcycles could become the big fish in the relatively small pond of bicycles/mountain climbing and whatever else they currently offer.

If the couple million M/C enthusiasts switch to OLN who knows what other programming might be offered. It got me feeling a bit more hopeful for the future of M/C racing coverage and other related programming on TV.

TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 08:56 AM   #14
jaypuck
Founding Member

Default Re: Good Idea

I would like to bring up one example of the letters and voices of the people having the desired effect on a corporation.

chevrolet was going to discontinue the camaro in the mid to late 90's due to low volume of sales. the number of people who asked them not to, since the camaro was such a wonderful icon of american automobile manufacturing, convinced them to continue making the car. success for the people.

and STILL no one purchased the car in enough numbers to justify production. 2002 was the last year of the chevrolet camaro.

moral of the story: write all the letters you want, if the audience numbers don't go up significantly you won't be having your motorcycle shows on speed.
jaypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 08:58 AM   #15
Grover
Founding Member

So now everyone jumps on my bandwagon... Wasn't it just last week I was saying how sh!tty Speed's Tuesday night programming was? Well here they are, with crappy Tuesday night ratings, and they wonder why.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. People don't care about week old support races. Speeds justification for showing races such as (taken from this weeks Tuesday lineup) a week old 125 GP, a week old 250 GP, and a two-week old Formula Xtreme race, is that they've never been broadcast before. Cut that crap out!!! We just want to see the friggin premier classes, we don't care if they've been broadcast already, not everyone saw it the first time.

This whole thing has really frustrated me lately, maybe OLN can fix it. I just can't help but think that if speed had re-done their programming like many people, myself included, had and have suggested they'd have better Tuesday night ratings.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 08:59 AM   #16
jaypuck
Founding Member

"Thats who Speed panders too."

translation: that's who makes the money for this network.
jaypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 09:06 AM   #17
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

I don't intend this to be antagonistic but can you see OLN changing their current programming to fit in with motorcycling? Can you imagine televised indoor trials events from around the world? Complete coverage of hill climbs and drag races? A place for the stunt riders to gain the notoriety they deserve without having to perform on public roads? Historic M/C races that I didn’t get a chance to see from the ‘70s and ‘80s?

I would spend most of my TV viewing stuck on OLN should they start offering this type of motorcycle programming.

Would it fit into their current programming? That would be difficult. Could it re-invent their programming? Certainly possible don't you think?
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 09:11 AM   #18
edfedup
Founding Member

Bandwagon?? Viewers have been outraged for quite a while now since Speed changed to the current format. But the whole point is to get EVERYONE involved so we CAN make a difference. Fine, you get the award for being a week earlier than the rest, but remember we're all fans here just trying to get some decent programming.

For some of us motorcycle fans, we're actually interested in some of these "support" races--some actually providing better racing than their "premiere" classes. Yeah, they're sometime late, but at least they're on. The reason we don't get enough slots in the programming is not enough viewers or veiwers not watching enough.
edfedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 09:14 AM   #19
edfedup
Founding Member

Default Re: Good Idea

That's exactly what Speed, Dave Despain and Greg White have been saying on-air all along: Motorcycle viewers are the most vocal, yet the smallest viewership.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:37 AM   #20
edfedup
Founding Member

PLease be an antagonist! That's what the boards are for. It would suck if we all agreed on everything right?!

When I think of OLN I think DIRT. So trials and hillclimbing are not completely out of line with this theme (and the ATV racing they currently air). But road-racing and dragracing and TTs, to me, are in a bit of a different category. Does OLN want these types of viewers when they clearly belong within SpeedTV demographic?

There IS a market in motorcyclists--that's obvious by showroom sale figures. Do motorcyclists watch racing on TV? That's another story. Motorcycling has always been an "alternative" lifestyle, slowing becoming more mainstream. It'll just take time and someone with a clear vision to combine the two. To be honest, I don't care to rush it.