Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 06-20-2003, 09:44 AM   #11
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Honda is chicken shyt for not playing

Longride is starting get me over my love affair with Honda I think. I can't believe Honda wouldn't take the opportunity to compete head to head with the best of Ducati. If they lose they can say well it wasn't our best technology or riders. If they win they can't make a whole bunch of red rider commercials. I don't understand them. Eric Boz and his 750 Kawasaki is going to be there. Mladin and Yates with restrictor plates. If hey one has a beef not to play its Kawasaki and Suzuki.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2003, 09:46 AM   #12
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Correction

. If they lose Honda can say well it wasn't our best technology or riders. If they win they can make a whole bunch of red rider commercials
Old 06-20-2003, 10:13 AM   #13
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda of U.S. not racing Laguna WSB

Honda is just showing itself for what it is, A shadow(tm) of the company Soichiro Honda started, they didn't shy away from compettion back then. Now if they can't win they take their ball and go home. Ducati has been handing them their butts in WSB for years no matter how much money they throw at the RC51, Now they have the GSXR1000 to contend with as well. The RC211V is a winner in MotoGP, But thats because Rossi rides one. Put him on a Ducati and see who's on top then.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 10:21 AM   #14
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Edge is the Larry King of bike reviewers vs Bill O'Rielly (Burns)

I agree with longride. Every review he has nothing bad to say about the bikes. He through softballs at the bike maker reps. Where Burns is the The Rune is a looker but I am not sure I would like to ride for any thing but parade duty. I am sure if Burns reviewed it he would be going on and on about the excess of the thing (Rune)
Old 06-20-2003, 10:59 AM   #15
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: Short memory

Yes, Honda is doing quite poorly in racing, especially MotoGP. Didn't they win WSB in 2000 and last year win both the AMA and WSB Championships?

Weren't the rules changed this year for both series?

Honda will come out with a new bike that takes advantage of the new rules and suddenly the HRC riders will become faster.
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 11:12 AM   #16
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: Wha?

Honda isn't competing in the WSB race in Laguna because they pretty much withdrew from WSB as a whole. What advertising cache is it for them to say they won one race in a series in which they do not compete?

If B.Bostrom wins a Laguna for the AMA series, that means something for the points championship. If one of the riders gets injured during the WSB race, then it'd be hard for Honda to win the AMA Superbike Championship for which they are still competitive.
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 11:20 AM   #17
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Wha?

They let Nicky ride in last year's race and he was riding for the AMA championship. Now they are worried about someone getting hurt? They didn't worry last year. The only thing hurtin' would be their feelings after they got smoked by every manufacturer competing. I don't think they would finish in the top ten with the bikes they are running. Easier to quit than be embarrassed.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:07 PM   #18
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda is chicken shyt for not playing

I am neither defending or attacking Honda on this -- I am disapointed not to see BBoz have a chance to once again show the international guys around Laguna Seca, and I am sure that Ben is really disapointed.

Still, you have to keep in mind that Honda are not running the RC51 (VTR-SP2) in WSB at all this year, and have only a half-hearted effort with this bike in BSB with Colin's old bike. They probably do not even have a WSB-spec bike available, so would have to build one for this one race -- US spec bikes are different (for one thing, the WCB bikes have to run on 92 octane gas, so they would have to drop the compression on the AMA bikes.

Since Honda have done no development on the VTR SP2 since the Suzuka 8hour last summer, even if they could produce a WSB-spec bike for Laguna, it likely would be soundly outclassed by Suzuki and Ducati. From Honda's viewpoint, they probably figure that they have more to lose than they possibly could gain.

The other factor is that BBoz, who is the rider most likely to want to do Laguna, has been very underwhelming on the Honda -- really has not been able to get comfortable on it. To see him beaten by a non-factory R1 would be pretty embarrasing (which could have been a possibility, except that the top Yamaha rider just got hired to replace Gobert at Ducati Austin for the next two races).

I understand that Mladin and Yates will have access to all the tuning and setup information from the Factory WSB team, and I believe that EBoz's team might get some data from the WSB Kawasaki team (although as poorly as they have done this year, that info might not be worth much).

I'm thinking that this might be one of the best chances that Suzuki have to beat Ducati this year -- either Lavilla or Mladin.

Cheers

Bob

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 12:10 PM   #19
Z3Coupe
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda of U.S. not racing Laguna WSB

I agree - the NAS or something like that? Man, that sure was pretty!
Z3Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 12:13 PM   #20
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Honda is chicken shyt for not playing

Thanks As always you put things in the propere perspective. If they don't have a bike that could work then I totally agree with their response. I didn't realize that for V-Twins there was much difference between WSB and AMA superbike.