Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 06-18-2003, 04:21 AM   #1
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default Re: MC Chase ends in Death/Riot

High speed chases are dangerous to both the suspect and the police. Here in Oklahoma we lost a State Trooper a few years back during one which entered the west bound lanes of I-40. They were headed east.

The local, county and state policies have changed to not pursue in most cases.

My hatÂ’s off to Benton Township Police Chief Jimmie Coburn for taking the action to stop this extreme risk to public safety. To bad the policy wasnÂ’t in place before this riderÂ’s bad decision cost him his life.

TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-18-2003, 04:54 AM   #2
dominatr37
Founding Member

Default Re: MC Chase ends in Riot

Yeah, start a riot. that really is a way to make people sympathetic to your cause. It's just another excuse to burn down a neighborhood for no reason. You don't go on a rampage because of something like this, you air your grievences like a human being, not like an animal.
dominatr37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 05:35 AM   #3
JohnGeisz
Founding Member

Man, does this look good for motorcyclists everywhere. NOT!

I ride a sportbike, but I'm getting to the point where I'm wondering if some squids shouldn't be allowed to buy them. (I can't believe I said that)

Thanks to squids with exhibitionist riding habits, the police are getting so hostile toward everyone on a sport bike. Though I'm 37 with half-gray hair, cops look at me like a 'possible suspect.'

Thanks squids! NOT.
JohnGeisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 05:57 AM   #4
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default let me get this straight ...

1) some squid on a sportbike tries to run from the cops at speeds in excess of 100 mph, all because of a little weed and a suspended license.

2) he eats it and dies.

3) people riot because of police misconduct.

i'm sorry folks, but this is definitely NOT police misconduct. it's clearly a case of natural selection at work. hopefully the lad was removed from the gene pool before he had a chance to breed.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 07:12 AM   #5
obandoj
Founding Member

High speed chases by the police for non-violent offences and minor traffic violations have got to stop! In many of these situations inocent by-standers are hurt or killed.

There are other ways to deal with it, helicopters, radios, road bloks, what have you, but putting the citizens at large in danger because of anticuated police regulations is not the way to resolve it, I am not condoning the rioting that took place in Michigan, that definetly is not the way to resolve such problems, dialogue and peaceful demonstrations would be a lot more effective and civilized. One of the big reasons for the increase of this type of chase, has to be blamed on all of the TV shows depicting that kind of behaviour, it gives people the idea that it is ok to run from the police.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 07:24 AM   #6
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: Little cart before the horse

Without pulling someone over, it'd be difficult to tell whether the suspect was in violation of a minor offense or was wanted for murder.

I think this is another Audi/Ford media hype phenomenon. What are the actual risks involved in high-speed chases? How many take place without injury/death? What is the risk of being killed during a high speed chase?
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 07:50 AM   #7
Lowrez
Founding Member

You don't riot because you want sympathy. You riot because you're so angry you just can't contain yourself any longer. Benton Harbor is one of the crummiest places in Michigan I've been, probably worse off than Detroit.

Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 07:54 AM   #8
JohnGeisz
Founding Member

As soon as the vehicle fails to stop, just launch an F-16... one AGM and the pursuit is over!
JohnGeisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 07:56 AM   #9
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Little cart before the horse

While a fleeing suspect may, or may not, be wanted for a serious crime the police sould not put the public at large in danger to apprehend a suspected criminal. Several years ago an innocent woman was run over by a highway patroman who was chasing a speeding motorcyclist in Redding CA. Imagine the public outrage if a police officer shot at a fleeing shoplifter in a crowded shoping mall. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 08:01 AM   #10
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

"Yeah, start a riot. that really is a way to make people sympathetic to your cause. It's just another excuse to [throw a bunch of tea off a ship into the harbor] for no reason. You don't go on a rampage because of something like this, you air your grievences like a human being, not like an animal."

Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote