Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 06-18-2003, 12:41 PM   #51
kawazuki
Founding Member

Default Re: MC Chase ends in Riot

Of course use of the caps lock key is legal. It just makes you look like an ass. Then again, perhaps we should just appreciate the notification.

You failed to refute my point, or even make any attempt to do so. I claim that the law is not simply the law just because the government has passed it. The whole point of the Constitution is to limit the power of the government to pass laws. That's why, in theory, the government cannot simply pass laws allowing search and seizure without probable cause, curtailment of free speech, or confiscation of private property without compensation. (Those of you who have been paying attention to the world of late will note the irony with which I use the phrase "in theory".)

In fact, the Supreme Court has stated in the past (Marbury vs: Madison) that unconstitutional laws are not laws, for if they violate the Constitution, how can they possibly hold the power of law. The deduction made from this, (which they later state) is that laws which are found unconstitutional are not only no longer laws, they never were laws. Furthermore, the citizens do not have to wait for unconstitutional laws to be struck down.

Your claim that "the law is the law" is simply incorrect.

-Kawazuki
kawazuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-18-2003, 12:58 PM   #52
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: Speeding go-cart before the horse

Ahh, this is based upon your extensive law enforcement experience. All you have to do is follow them by stealth helicopter! Like in the movies! And every municipality in the US is going to purchase a stealth helicopter! And the monkeys that fly out of my butt will pilot them.

fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 01:39 PM   #53
FalcoSC
Founding Member

I agree. Mitigate the danger to the public and just shoot the guy. Soon there wouldn't be too many high speed chases. Rules of engagement could be: 2 minutes of pursuit at 20 mph over the limit and BANG.
FalcoSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 01:41 PM   #54
tinchj
Founding Member

I like it. You're not running for mayor of LA are you? If so you've got my vote!
tinchj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 01:45 PM   #55
66duc
Registered Member

Default Re: let me get this straight ...

As a recently retired high school teacher from a district with a breeding problem, I have to say.....right on!
66duc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 01:45 PM   #56
Lowrez
Founding Member

Funny, I haven't seen a riot in the city yet. More likely to see the suburbanite kids going to Michigan State riot over enforcement of the drinking age.

Most of the stereotypes about Detroit are just plain wrong these days. I have more fear riding my bike out in the northern suburbs than I do in the heart of the city.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 02:32 PM   #57
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Cops are supposed to be public safety officials. If cameras on stop lights can declare a person guilty then the cop certainly could of taken down the licence plate number and then gone to the perps residence. If it was a stolen bike then I'm sure the perp would of gotten of and left it asap. I for one don't think cops should perform any high speed pursuits in any residential area unless they witnessed that person in said vehicle committ a capital crime and then try to escape. How can a cop justify any deaths caused in a high speed pursuit? All he has to do is back off and nobody will be put in danger by the perp or the cop. You would have to believe that road blocks could quickly cordone off this person without having to endanger the public.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 02:54 PM   #58
hawkrider
Founding Member

Tell it to the Judge!
hawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 02:57 PM   #59
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Well, it's not exactly a riot, but I was referring to Devil's Night, which does include burning things down.
Old 06-18-2003, 02:59 PM   #60
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: HI!!!

Hey, Mr. AlllCaps is back! Where have you been lately? Did they stick you in a corner and forget about you?