Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 06-18-2003, 10:16 AM   #31
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: let me get this straight ...

I was refering too alternatives to high speed chases in general, with tire strips being one of a number of options available.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-18-2003, 10:19 AM   #32
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: MC Chase ends in Riot

Let's see. Running from a cop-not legal. Racing through city streets-not legal. Possessing a controlled dangerous substance-not legal. Riding without a permit-not legal. Sure sounds like the law could be at fault here if you are a complete moron. I believe the term "law officer" has something to do with the above illegal acts. That poor sole just committed suicide. I'm glad he didn't take someone else with him at the time of the crash. Sounds like folks are advocating high speed escape as a viable way to get out of committing a crime.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 10:24 AM   #33
SRMark
Founding Member

A-Fuc%ing -men!
Old 06-18-2003, 10:26 AM   #34
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: Go-carting before the horse

I would like to see the data that the public at large is put in danger by high-speed chases. What is comparative risk of each situation?

Anecdotal evidence is nice. How about a hypothetical? Your spouse is shot and killed during a robbery. The perpetrator flees and the cops chase after him. He begins to approach 100 mph. Should the police end the pursuit?

At what point does one consider a chase to be "high-speed"? Absolute speed? Speed over the limit? Should an officer going 5 mph over that limit be reprimanded? Will criminals be aware of this restriction and take advantage? In other words, does the crime rate go up where the high-speed chase laws are enacted?
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 10:28 AM   #35
SRMark
Founding Member

What's this "ask questions" stuff? Shoot and be done with it.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:43 AM   #36
donzi
Founding Member

I figured that but you left yourself wide open.
donzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 10:45 AM   #37
sjriott
Founding Member

Just out of curiosity, how do you know it was a sport bike? I'd be more likely to assume it's a Hardley due to the fact that the guy lives in Michigan, close to Wisconsin where sport bikes aren't as popular.

Speeds in excess of 100 mph also would indicate to me that it probably wasn't a sport bike. If it was, the speeds would probably be much higher than 100 mph which most sport bikes will do in 2nd gear.

Old 06-18-2003, 10:50 AM   #38
rsheidler
Founding Member

I guess you never violated laws that you thought were stupid and unfair?

I guess Adams and Jefferson, Washington et al should have just meekly paid their tea taxes and all that, because after all, as you say, "the law is the law!"

Rosa Park, Medgar Evers, Dr King etc should have stayed in the back of the fukn bus, stayed out of the "white only" lunch counters and kept their eyes averted when speakin' to the man, sayin' "yasuh, nosuh, rataway suh." After all, the law is the law.

Do you suppose that prohibition was overturned due to a letter-writing campaign, or was it because huge numbers of people chose to violate the law to the point that it became unenforcable?

BTW, please turn off your CAP LOCK key!

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 11:02 AM   #39
rsheidler
Founding Member

Exactly -- most police departments DO have strict criteria for chases. The evaluation includes what the suspect is believed to have done (or is in the process of doing), whether it is in a populated area, the risk to other motorists and pedestrians, the availability of alternative means of aprehension (pretty hard to outrun radios and helicoptors).

My brother-in-law is a cop and I have several friends who are police. They all will tell you that in any police department, there is some percentage (hopefully small) who have the personality type to seek out opportunities for high speed chases -- the same guys most likely to use their guns in marginal situations.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 11:02 AM   #40
Gabe
Registered Member

Default HI!!!

ARE YOU THE GUY THEY JUST BROUGHT IN LAST NIGHT AND PUT IN THE TANK RIGHT NEXT TO ME? IF SO, I'M ALSO A DISEMBODIED BRAIN IN A TANK HERE AT THE MAYO CLINIC. I CAN GIVE YOU SOME POINTERS ABOUT LIVING WITHOUT A BODY.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote