Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 06-18-2003, 09:26 AM   #21
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: let me get this straight ...

If you push the button on the left that's marked " Caps lock" it won't look like you're yelling all the time. I agree, and I would never run from the cops myself, However I still think high speed persuits are not justified in most cases. Cops around here use tire-strips or road blocks or Helicopters or any other means of tracking someone that doesn't include chasing someone at high speed.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-18-2003, 09:26 AM   #22
obandoj
Founding Member

Default Re: MC Chase ends in Riot

Shoot first and ask questions latter?
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 09:26 AM   #23
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

While I am in no way equating the police to nazi death camp guards, the I was just doing my job is not an acceptable excuse from either group. It is the first responsibility of any citizen of a free society (police included) to use their brain before following any government edict. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 09:33 AM   #24
obandoj
Founding Member

Mastrabation?

They need to weight the pros and cons of every situation. if a cop killed one of your loved ones chasing some punk who stole a piece of crap car to go joy riding, how would you feel Mr. hawkrider?
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 09:44 AM   #25
rsheidler
Founding Member

I was thinkin' along those same lines -- if our forefathers had taken that same attitude (politely airing their grievances) we likely would still be singing "God Save the Queen."

I admit I don't know a damn thing about the situation in Benton Harbor and have no opinion as to the justification for their anger.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 09:48 AM   #26
rsheidler
Founding Member

Good point -- unless there is a KNOWN danger to letting the guy go, usually the risk to everyone involved, including totally innocent bystanders, is far greater as a result of the chase.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 09:49 AM   #27
donzi
Founding Member

Tire strips on a motorcycle travelling 100mph? That's a bright idea.
donzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 09:51 AM   #28
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Most of these chases are not necessary. They are currently banned in Chicago, and for good reason. It's a high profile way for the police to do a "we got our perp!" in front of the cameras. Just watch all the "Spectacular Cop Chase" shows. In 9 out of 10 cases, they could ID the perp through the plate number or a witness, but what fun would that be? Nothing like 99 cop cars chasing some fool down the highway and having someone smash into some poor slob that got in the way. Probably 90% of these chases damage property, hurt or kill some innocent bystander in the end. The David Koresh/Branch Davidian case comes to mind when I see these things. The famous Waco farce. It was well known Koresh came to town almost every day to buy groceries and items for his compound. All the feds had to do was hang out in town, pick him up, and it was over. They wanted a circus. What they got was many people killed for absolutely no reason other than high-profile publicity. It bit em in the ass in the end. These chases are a circus, and something to brag about back at the station. Picking this kid up at his house an hour later just doesn't seem to have the same flair of a good chase. This one bit back also.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:05 AM   #29
Haird
Founding Member

Yes, the potential for loss of life, for both those directly involved in a chase and for innocent bystanders, seems well out of proportion to any good that could be done in apprehending any but the most actively homicidal suspect. That said, I don't suggest the police stand by and do nothing when someone runs -- just that they employ tactics that are less dangerous than high speed chases to intercept runners, as others in this thread have suggested. The issue is not whether the runner deserves his fate, even if that fate is death, but whether the danger presented to others is justified. Most police departments limit high-speed chases for exactly this reason, and it sounds like the Benton Harbor force will now follow suit.
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 10:05 AM   #30
donzi
Founding Member

There is no question that high speed chases put the public at risk and that is a bad thing. The question is what is the alternative?

Would not chasing individuals once they exceed a certain speed make the society a safer place? I don't know but it doesn't sound right. How many citizens would die from criminal actions if people knew they could simply put down the hammer and not be bothered from the boys in blue?

I like riding fast as much as anyone but if you run from the cops and get hurt it's your own fault. I feel bad for the guys family but he set in motion the acts that led to his death.
donzi is offline   Reply With Quote