Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 06-18-2003, 07:07 AM   #11
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Re: Little cart before the horse

As trigger-happy as the jackboots are today, it wouldn't surprise if one of them shot in a mall. Police apparently think of themselves as the hunters and us as the hunted these days, hence their penchant for high-speed chases.

They especially like shooting people in the back.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/929377/posts

Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-18-2003, 07:10 AM   #12
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: MC Chase ends in Riot

Funny you should mention Detroit- they do this sort of thing as an annual tradition.
Old 06-18-2003, 07:34 AM   #13
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: let me get this straight ...

You really think this kid deserved to die because he didn't want to get caught with a little weed? Kinda harsh aren't you? Why are police justified in chasing someone at over 100mph for driving on a suspended. Obviously the guy shouldn't have run, but surely the cops have bigger fish to fry.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 07:37 AM   #14
kawazuki
Founding Member

I am going to admit up front that I'm taking this opportunity to whip out my soap box. You have been warned.

A skew cause for this entire incident which I have not seen addressed is the state of drug law in this country. The penalties for posession of small quantities of marijuana are so wildly out of proportion with the seriousness of the crime, that it seems possible to me that our dead squid here may have felt that the risk of dying in a high speed chase was a better risk than being pulled over.

Due to minimum sentences imposed by the federals, it is entirely possible that however little weed it was he had on him, he was facing a 20 year jail term. I think it is not unreasonable to speculate that in the first adrenaline panic of seeing those flashy blue lights, the prospect of using the extremely fast peice of machinery that you're riding to escape 20 years in jail (and rather likely the additional bonus punishment of contracting AIDS) could seem like a good idea.

I feel that there is no difference from a "constitutional authority to regulate" POV between alcohol and marijuana. It required a constitutional amendment to enact the prohibition of alcohol because the federal government does not have the consitutional authority to pass such laws. In what way is the enactment of the prohibition of marijuana less subject to that requirement for the specific granting of authority by consitutional amendment?

-Kawazuki
kawazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 07:49 AM   #15
drthompson65
Founding Member

Ditto.
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 07:53 AM   #16
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Little cart before the horse

Sadly what you say is true Abe. There are plenty of examples of police execution which are chronicled in the whackem and stackem section of serriatimes.com. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 07:59 AM   #17
hawkrider
Founding Member

Default Re: let me get this straight ...

THEY DID NOT KNOW HE WAS SUSPENDED UNTIL AFTER THE CRASH. THE COPS ONLY KNEW THEY HAD A RUNNER, FOR GOD KNOWS WHAT. HE COULD HAVE JUST PULLED A ROBBERY OR MURDER. UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES THEY DID NOT KNOW THE SIZE OF THE FISH UNTIL HE CRASHED.

IF YOU RUN YOU SHOULD SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES REGARDLESS OF THE SEVERITY.
hawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 08:05 AM   #18
hawkrider
Founding Member

EVERY CHASE I HAVE SEEN ON TV ENDS IN A CRASH OR WORSE. HOW DOES THAT SEND THE OK MESSAGE. EVERY COP WILL TELL YOU, A RUNNER IS AN UNKNOWN. IT IS VERY RARE THAT THE COPS KNOWS WHO THE RUNNER IS AND WHY HE IS RUNNING. IF WE SEND A MESSAGE THAT RUNNERS WILL NOT BE CHASED IT WILL ONLY MAKE THINGS WORSE.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:08 AM   #19
hawkrider
Founding Member

UNTIL YOU CHANGE THE LAWS YOU PIONT IS POINTLESS. THE LAW IS THE LAW!
Old 06-18-2003, 08:18 AM   #20
hawkrider
Founding Member

All this talk about unfair laws and bigger fish to fry is crap. We have to play by the rules as they excist today. The police have a job to do. If someone behaves in a way that causes the police concern then so be it. Innocent people tend not to run, they tend to pull over and wonder, what the hell did I do?

Trying to justify bad behavior is mental mastrabation at it's best. The facts remain, Cop lights up a guy, guy has done something wrong, guy either crashes or reconsiders and pulls over. The smart ones pull over and live to see another day. And yes they face OUR justice system and so be it.