Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 12-14-2000, 09:39 AM   #1
CagivaRider
Founding Member

Default Re: Drinking and Riding: Bikers Still At It

I rode a bike after 'a few too many' just once ... many years ago. I can't believe I survived it. Never again!
CagivaRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2000, 10:17 AM   #2
Lowrez
Founding Member

Default Beer, its not just for cruisers anymore

The guys I ride with (touring bikes, mostly BMW's) make stopping at the bar a regular event of any group ride. I can't say if any of them have had too much, but I'm certain that they've at least been borderline on a few occasions.

For the record I don't drink and ride only because I tip over too easily as is.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2000, 11:21 AM   #3
GM_FAN
Founding Member

One time I drank a beer and rode a bicycle, I fell down.. LOL.. We all know drinking and riding/driving is dumb..
GM_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2000, 11:37 AM   #4
Modsmasher
Founding Member

Default Drinking & Riding, It Just Goes Together

Listen you bunch of holier than thou's, I drink and ride, not in riduculous quantities, but apparently enough so no of you will ride with me.

The first time I did it I noticed that the best way to "sober up" was to ride a bike. One becomes most aware of his surroundings. A moment of clarity?

Anyway, my only big accident was sober. Ouch. Maybe if all biles were as cool as mine, you "bums" would know you were to drunk due to the fact that you would be able to get your bike started.

Girlie electric start whimps!
Modsmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2000, 02:13 PM   #5
Vook
Founding Member

Unfortunately, sad but true.

During my 13 year tenure with the Canada Safety Council "Gearing Up" program (equivalent to MSF), the drinking/riding thing was the hardest concept to pass along to new riders. The province I'm in doesn't help this with the current graduated licensing system. New riders aren't allowed (by law) to drink and ride (0% Blood Alcohol) but once you obtain your full license, the law states that you can ride up to .08%. Amazingly, the current legislation here contributes to the statistics mentioned.
Vook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2000, 02:32 PM   #6
Vook
Founding Member

Default Re: Drinking & Riding, It Just Goes Together

Either you're just playing around trying to invoke a response from other posters OR you are as stump-smart as your grammar/spelling indicates.

Gee, how can I tell that you have some macho attitude while-I-ride-my-bike and turn on the ladies?

C'mon pal. You're in the minority here, and if you think being an underdog is cool, I really hope for your sake you don't hurt anyone else when you do crash.
Vook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2000, 02:48 PM   #7
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Drinking and Riding Certification Programs

How about a program where you ride on a course after drinking. At the point where the alchohol impairs you so you cannot succesfully negotiate the course, your BAC is measured, and you recieve a card with that number stamped on it.

If you are stopped, and your BAC exceeds the number on the card, then you get cited. Everyone's different, right?

It would be much harder to figure a standard for halucinogens, though...

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2000, 04:28 PM   #8
Rebelrider
Founding Member

I enjoy the feel of riding too much to dull my senses with alcohol. I went to a bikefest in October and the one thing they couldn't keep on hand was diet coke.I've never been to any large gathering where there wasn't a lot of drinking no matter what the people were driving.
Rebelrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2000, 06:40 PM   #9
davidcorr
Founding Member

the law allows a person to drink a certain amount and then ride a bike. so you can do that if you want.

you can even drink more than the law allows and ride your bike if you want. you just ought to realize that there could be very serious consequences. we all know what they are.

personally, i never, ever ride my bike after drinking anything with alcohol in it.

call me a chicken or a wuss or whatever. but i like my life too much. being alive allows me to drink beer and have fun. being alive allows me to ride my bike and have fun. being alive allows me to do all sorts of fun things. being dead doesn't.

here's what happens when i get even a tiny bit buzzed - i don't see things as clearly or quickly. i'm less focussed. i'm less coordinated. and i'm just a little bit more brave and eager. bad combo. the margins are way too narrow to begin with. hey, downing a few beers is great. riding a bike is great. but done together, they could ruin everything. dead is stupid. jail is stupid. guilt is stupid. why be stupid?

davidcorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2000, 07:44 AM   #10
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

I never wear a helmet when I'm drunk, that way I can blow all the chunks I want and not mess up my lid. I also find that the faster I ride, the easier it is to puke without getting any on my bike. The trick is to turn around backwards and let the 100MPH breeze carry away the bile, before it has a chance to drop onto you or the bike.