Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 05-29-2003, 03:58 PM   #1
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati V4 Streetbike

Undoubtedly the worst Photoshopped picture I have seen this year - it looks like they took the original racebike pictures, added in some fake sky and pavement, and digitally slapped a license plate/taillight (an ugly one at that) on it. It doesn't even have front turnsignals!

On a related note, if they can make a V-4 streetbike that sells, more power to 'em. But it would be the biggest mistake they could make to abandon their own unique V-Twin heritage (IMHO).

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-29-2003, 05:11 PM   #2
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I agree. Harley's V-Rod isn't exactly flying out the doors of dealerships.

Do you think even if Ducati made a 4 cylinder the KPauls of the world (godforbid there's more than one!) would buy one?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 06:08 PM   #3
merv
Founding Member

Thing is its a bit like cheese - these things take time. Just remember what Ducati sold before they made twins - singles. Now who was saying then don't make a twin its abandoning the heritage blah blah blah. Likewise the first Hondas were singles. They seem to have done quite well out of bikes with more cylinders since. Remember 1969 and the first CB750. Who said damn its not a twin? I am sure if Ducati launched a four and it was a good machine it will sell, particularly if its faster than the twins. They might not sell them in large numbers straight away but they gain heritage through time, not overnight.
merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 06:25 PM   #4
john
Founding Member

man, if you look through their past, Fabio Taglioni himself designed a 1000cc V4, and tried to make the Apollo. IT never made it past production, but even the man who started the famed Vtwin heritage was never limited to just twins.

Taglioni, BTW is the creator of ducatis desmodromic valvetrain.

But seriously, if you listen to ducati....RACING is their heritage, not a Vtwin. They should make a V4 to be TRUE to their heritage.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:23 PM   #5
KPaulCook
Banned

I would absolutely buy one. Heck if they put lights on the beautiful MotoGP bike it would sell better than the ugly 999.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 08:26 PM   #6
KPaulCook
Banned

As much as I love inline 4s, I think the V-4, because it is narrower may be the best racing configuration. I think Honda proved this a while go right longride??? Say good bye to the ugly 999 (the Edsel of sportbikes) hello to future.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 08:51 PM   #7
john
Founding Member

shorter crank too, so less resistant to turning then you get with an inline 4. that is one of the reasons the FX bikes corner slower than the superbikes......crankshaft weight and inertia is a *****.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:27 AM   #8
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Who styled the MotoGP bike? It certainly is a gorgeous piece of machinery.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 03:35 AM   #9
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I think a v-6 or possibly even a v-8 would be the best racing configuration. You complain loudly about rules that give twins and advantage over fours, but you never have anything to say about rules giving fours an advantage over a 6 or and 8. Simply put, the Japanese are in love with fours because past and present rules favor that configuration. If the rules were open for the last 30 years, we would see v-6 and possibly v-8 configurations ruling racing.
Old 05-30-2003, 05:00 AM   #10
drthompson65
Founding Member

You need to change with the times or die. Everyone lives the 1000CC class and four cylnder motors. As a person who loves VTwins I don't expect Ducati to give up the twin but I believe you'll see a line of V4's. Personally can't wait for Honda to produce the V5. Maybe with this V4 craze Honda will bring back the RC45.
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote