Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 12-08-2000, 02:17 PM   #1
CagivaRider
Founding Member

Default Re: Sundiro and Orbital Will Produce Two-Stroke Engines in C

It's barely above freezing and I'm heading home on my wife's RZ-350. We've had it since it was new and I still enjoy it's power. I raced two-stroke roadracers for years and never worried about engine braking - I use the lever on the right to slow down.

As a side note - I bought a chunk of Orbital stock last year and it's slowly been creeping up. I keep waiting for them to license their technology with a major MC manufacturer. Our RZ is getting a little long in the tooth.
CagivaRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2000, 04:47 PM   #2
Tom_Price
Founding Member

Default Re: So two-stroke engines are so powerful eh?

Wads of power, lousy brakes, Hinged frame like a Vincent. Kawasaki triples from the 70s defined the term "Haul Ass" but also defined the term "oh " when grabbing the brake lever or cornering.

Tom_Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2000, 05:03 PM   #3
CagivaRider
Founding Member

I love the smell of bean oil in the morning ...
CagivaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2000, 05:55 PM   #4
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

I'm still waiting for some company to develop a nuclear reactor suitable for bike use. It would be great -- powerful, silent, and zero emissions. You could ride it for 25 years without filling up. When it finally wore out, you could have it trucked to the WIPP site in Carlsbad, New Mexico, for permanent disposal in an underground salt deposit.
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2000, 06:06 PM   #5
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

Default Re: Orbital engines already are mounted in two wheelers

The 250 might be an interesting machine, but a 50cc scooter is simply to dinky to be of any consequence. I happened to be in Europe this summer, and saw Europeans riding everything from 1200's to 50's. You could always tell the ones who rode 50's; they had bug splat on the back of their helmets, from bugs running into them. Plus, they all had that "Oh God, please don't let me die" look on their faces as they tried to keep up with traffic.
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2000, 09:13 PM   #6
El_Flaco
Founding Member

Default Two-strokes are dying.

Two stroke motors serve their purpose for cheap and light applications such as scooters, but the cheap label no longer applies if you are referring to a high performance 2-stroke. Can anyone in their right mind call a NSR-500 cheap? As 4-stroke technology improves, any advantage that the 2-stroke had is fading even faster. Why are many of the major manufacturers switching to 4-strokes for the 2002 GP series? Why are many motocross manufacturers switching to 4-strokes? It is time to stop living in the past; the fastest will survive, and unless many more breakthroughs occur in 2-stroke technology, it will continue to be a dying breed.
Old 12-10-2000, 06:59 PM   #7
dexman
Founding Member

Default Re: Two-strokes are dying.

Actually, Colin Edwards' RC51 has so many trick parts that the HRC boys says it costs roughly the same as an NSR500 (about $1million). Nevertheless, 4 stroke technology is accelerating while 2stroke technology is stagnating. Look at where Formula 1 is going (8-900 hp fom 3litre engines) and you can see that 4 stroke bikes have a future. Esthetically 4 stroke bikes behave right and sound just right, both silky and macho. 2 strokes sound

dinky (waaahhh-put-put-put) and are real nervous and unreliable when highly tuned. 4 stokes are a safe bet, like it or not.
dexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2000, 06:46 AM   #8
Gilligan_4u
Founding Member

"Two Strokes Suck" please, to whoever wrote this, use some maturity, this is not a sight for moronic and idiotic ramblings. If you're going ot make a comment like that, grow up, think it through before you type, and give some reasons, I know three year olds with better reasons for what they believe in, and while your attempting to get that brain of yours working, go ride a two stroke, and while you're trying to cover the huge smile on your face, tell me what you think. God gave you a brain for a reason, use it, and don't put the rest of humanity through the anguish of listening to you.
Gilligan_4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2000, 10:31 AM   #9
Sparky
Founding Member

Cheers,

As a 1984 RZ350 KR special owner, I have a great respect and admiration for the raw power of strokers. It's great to ride it to the races and watch as spectators gather around to see a part of a dying breed....or maybe now they are in remission?? And a comment about the previous post who whines about the two stroke "ring-dinging", I don't beleive the orbital engine would sound quite the same as it does not scavange. Do you even know what scavanging is?
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2000, 09:58 AM   #10
Sparky
Founding Member

Well if you took the time to learn how a traditional two stroke wokrs you may understand my comment. so here's a lesson for you.

Scavenging is the overlap of oopen intake and exhaust ports which effectively sacrifices fresh intake charge (petro+oil+air) for a complete expulsion of spent exhaust. This IS the cause of the excessive smoke and the characteristic sound of the traditional 2stroke.

The Orbital DOES NOT scavenge so it is very likely that it will not sound the same. Additionally that is the only reason it will come close meeting emission standards.

Hope this helps.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote