Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 12-06-2000, 02:05 PM   #1
marc
Founding Member

Default Re: Founder of Cycle World Magazine Dies

the first motorcycle magazine i ever read was cycle world, i was about 10 years old, by age 12, i had a motorcycle under my butt & the wind in my hair- i was totally hooked long before then riding on the back of my father's friends' indian chiefs & triumph twins. joe parkhurst did alot for our sport, he was a true pioneer of the modern-day motorcycle journalism. we have lost a lot of guys from the old days, but none will be forgotten- can't deny their spirit doesn't live on in all of us. ride free, joe, forever more.
marc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2000, 02:26 PM   #2
MartialStax
Founding Member

When I was about 16 (about 1979), my neighbor, who was a motorcyclist, gave me his collection of Cycle World magazines. I read every one from cover to cover. I bought my first bike when I was 18, and I've been a rider ever since. I still read CW every month. It remains the print industry standard. I attended the Cycle World sponsored motorcycle show here in Seattle just last Friday. I had a wonderful time. Mr. Parkhurst changed motorcycling in America, and he is at least partially responsible for making me the motorcyclist I am today. See ya around, Joe.
MartialStax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2000, 10:58 AM   #3
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

Default Gordon Jennings died?

Is it true? I hadn't heard. I very much enjoyed his technical articles. In fact, he and Joe Minton are my two favorite M/C technical journalists. If so, Godspeed to both of them, the world is that much less with the loss of them.
CYCLE_MONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2000, 08:21 PM   #4
hongman
Founding Member

Default Re: We All Owe Joe

Although I am not familiar with Joe Parkhurst's written works, I became familiar with Gordon Jenning's columns in Motorcyclist the past few years. After reading Motorcyclist for a over a year, and saving up enough funds, I was finally ready to take the (educated) 1st plunge, and buy my 1st Bike. I guess I need to thank Joe Parkhurst for helping make both Cycle World and Motorcyclist viable and valuable sources of information in this regard. Yeah, neither is perfect, but what is??

At first, I thought Gordon was a crusty curmudgeon, but came to appreciate his wit, intellect, humility, knowledge, and committment to a pursuit we all love.

Gordon & Joe, Godspeed and Rubber side Down...!!

hongman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2000, 08:37 PM   #5
hongman
Founding Member

Ummmm... who is YOUR EDITOR..??!!

Tsk, Tsk,... punctuation & capitalization errors hardly qualifies you to take a pot shot at Danielle's work....

Besides, if Ray Charles was ever fortunate enough to be Danielle's editor, his eyesight might be restored by her radiating charm and beauty..!!
hongman is offline   Reply With Quote