Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 12-07-2000, 02:39 AM   #11
Selden
Founding Member

Default Re: New TN State Law: Requires Safety Equiptment

I am a librarian who actively works with web development and information resources in a university environment. One of the frustrating things about the explosion of information resources on the world wide web is the lack of critical judgement shown by most readers.

I encounter this all the time with students, but obviously, the editors at MO were taken in as well. In this case, the hoax was pretty obvious, starting with the April 1 effective date for the legislation, followed by the fact that the URL to the article leads to a site that has nothing to do with news. A simple "view source" reveals the author's comments admitting it's a hoax.

If so many people can be fooled so easily by a hoax as obvious as this one, it's depressing to think how easily they can be manipulated by "reliable sources" found on the web on more serious topics, such as health care, the environment, and (regrettably) the presidential election.
Selden is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2000, 03:15 AM   #12
Skorpion23
Founding Member

It just goes to show that almost all politcians are *****s and have their heads up in the rectal area.
Skorpion23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2000, 06:16 AM   #13
roadload
Founding Member

One biker with straight pipes is in itself not all that bad. But when you get a whole crew of them together and they rumble by your house eclipsing all other audio input isa when they become obnoxious. Also there is no proof that people respond to loud pipes in a manner inwhich benfits the rider. We are taught from a early age what sirens represent we do not respond to them just because they are obnoxious.
roadload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2000, 07:03 AM   #14
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

Is this "Motorcycle Online?" Or is it "Sixty Minutes?"

C'mon, you slackers, get to the bottom of this.
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2000, 07:20 AM   #15
stevegrab
Founding Member

Although some of their stories are lame, they are one of the few online places that have something new every day, unlike 2wf.com (which practically went belly up). AMASuperbike.com is also pretty good, but they are almost always focused on the racing, which at this time of years means speculative stories on rides for next year (which also get boring day after day).
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2000, 07:27 AM   #16
stevegrab
Founding Member

Actually as of 1 PM or so today, if you click the URL for the story, it now says it is a hoax. The page reads

Not True

The story that was posted here about required modulators and ABS on motorcycles in Tennessee was a ruse that was intended only to be seen by a group of people who regularly attempt to fool each other with bogus stories like this one. Our group has a long history of clowning around like this, and many of them knew that this was just another joke immediately.

It was never expected or intended by the author that this web page would be seen by anyone outside that group.

One or more participants in that group posted the article to another discussion group and the whole thing spread like wildfire. As soon as I was aware that this was happening I pulled the web page down.

I humbly and sincerely apologize for the trouble this joke caused

Old 12-07-2000, 10:31 AM   #17
MartialStax
Founding Member

I agree with you, man. I belong to the mailing list where all this originated from. They have an annual contest for the MBA (Master Baiters Award). Whoever baits the most people in the most extravagant manner wins the award. Putting the guys supposed phone number and other personal info out there was just uncalled for. It was a joke to be shared with his mailing list buddies, and now he might get fired. What a sad group we bikers can be.
MartialStax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2000, 12:52 PM   #18
caderider
Registered Member

Well, what I do is just get on my sled and Ride, Baby. Ride. Makes me forget all about it

Old 12-07-2000, 11:12 PM   #19
Pacer
Founding Member

It is tuff to have interesting stuff everyday, but just the same, yea stale.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2000, 07:10 AM   #20
stevegrab
Founding Member

I don't understand why you are defending MO in this case. They clearly either posted a story that they did not research for validity, or they posted something that they knew was not true, in an attempt to scare us into seeing what kind of laws "could be passed".

I agree that it was not necessary to post the guys personal information that wrote the story (intentionally as a hoax, as part of a contest). He doesn't need the grief or potential of losing his job.

But MO needs to do more than just search the Internet for MC related stories and post them here. At least something in a print media has some validity, as the original writer has to do some research before an editor will allow them to publish an article like that.