Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 03-28-2003, 07:33 AM   #31
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: VC, Name Change For Norton

After the spectacular failure of Suzuki's Vidal Sassoon special, the RE-5, I doubt many manufacturers will look seriously at building another rotary. It's too bad, because it really was an interesting idea, just poorly executed.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2003, 08:30 AM   #32
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Investment Group to Revive Revived Excelsior Henderson

You forgot to mention how they ripped off the taxpayers too.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 08:31 AM   #33
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Why? Is he putting inline 4 cylinders in them?
Old 03-28-2003, 11:59 AM   #34
sarnali
Founding Member

I just spent 5 minutes looking at the web site because I didn't pick up on the question mark after "why" in your post, I read it as "Why is he putting 4 cyls. in them", I was looking at the diagram of the engine thinking " those lines aren't con. rods, and it says right here Parallel twin", thank God I get paid by the hour, it's friday and I want to go home. I had to drive today 'cause I got soaked on the way home yesterday and my stuffs still wet, I'm STILL on 2nd shift, and I was supposed to start 1st shift in February, and I don't have any cheese for all this whine. what a day. at least I'm not in Iraq. USA#1
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 01:29 PM   #35
FrankS1
Founding Member

Default Who makes Nortons Today?

As others have mentioned, Kenny Dreer in Oregon has finally paid off enough lawyers to have rights to the name "Norton America". His previous products included one which David Edwards bought and put on the cover of "Cycle World", along with Lee-Ann Tweeden to spice up the photo. (Some things are easier to do if you edit the magazine..) Kenny is now supposed to be winding up development of a modern bike which resembles the old Commando in general form. Power and performance will be in the same ballpark as modern 2 cylinder aircooled sporty bikes, e.g. Buell or Ducati.

There is another company which takes old Nortons and fixed them up to modern standards. That company is called "Colorado Norton Works", and is loacated in Dolores, CO. The upgrades for a CNW are mostly for cosmetic and reliability purposes, as the original Commando was perfectly adequate for highway riding. CNW avoids the cost of fork and suspension upgrades which would be increasingly needed if the power went much above the 70-80 bhp level which the original design could handle. Also, they avoid trademark hassles, since they insist on original - though perhaps sadly decayed - frame and engine cases.

If I had the money, I'd go for the CNW upgrade myself, and work off any compulsive need for losing my drivers license (with something saying 170/65 on the citation) with a Big 4 superbike. But, if you want to keep up with the other lawbreakers on something that looks 30 years old but shinier, the Norton America would be just the ticket. (pun intentional)
FrankS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 01:34 PM   #36
FrankS1
Founding Member

According to aquaintances who went to the winter trade shows in Cincy and Indy, the people showing off the "Norton" (now Viper, apparently) yet-another Harley Clone had no idea of the history of the brand. One of the aquaintances remarked "I have two Nortons in my garage", and was told "You couldn't have, we have only made two of them, and they're right here."
FrankS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 01:48 PM   #37
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Who makes Nortons Today?

If Lee-Ann Tweeden comes with the Norton America Commando, I'd pay the extra to go that route rather than settling for the CNW version! Although, when that Cycle World cover came out, I actually didn't even notice Lee-Ann at first -- not sure if that says more about how great the Commando looks or how far I am over the hill

You wouldn't happen to have a web site for CNW, would you?

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 03:09 AM   #38
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I believe it was the comma that changes the meaning. I was clearly referring to the fact that a bike with anything less than an inline 4 is not worth riding and most certainly an ancient dinosaur.

Where I would get those ideas I don't know.........
Old 03-29-2003, 05:41 AM   #39
sarnali
Founding Member

Earth to Kpaul,,,,,,,,,, Earth to Kpaul,,,,,,,,,
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 07:03 AM   #40
F451
Founding Member

Default Re: Investment Group to Revive Revived Excelsior Henderson

At least the taxpayers did not bail them out like Chrysler, who later sold out to the Germans who proceeded to lay-off all the American executives they could in record numbers to be replaced with their own embeds. And Chrysler still makes junk automobiles. I'll never own another German automobile either after recent world events.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote