Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Paranoid News Clips (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/)
-   -   Biodiesel for bikes? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/1646-biodiesel-for-bikes.html)

Buzglyd 02-21-2003 11:53 AM

I'm all for using hemp!

Pass it this way bro.

crankin500 02-21-2003 12:11 PM

Re: Biodiesel for bikes?

Rather than look at a production car engine, take a look at some modified diesel tractors. For instance, a 5.9 liter cummins b series engine can produce 1500hp+ and run on diesel or alcohol. That’s around 254hp per liter. Obviously, 4 turbos would not be practical on a motorcycle but one good one could be. I have read that most gasoline powered piston engines are lucky to achieve 35% thermal efficiency where as a direct injected diesel engine can achieve 45%. Unfortunately, the American car market is scared to death of diesels and putting one on a motorcycle is at this point just a novelty.

crankin500 02-21-2003 12:14 PM

Kpaul, how much?

Out of curiosity, what is the going rate for a gallon of biodiesel? I'm in NY state and have never seen it availble at a gas station.

BMW4VWW 02-21-2003 12:16 PM

Re: Why?

Bob, for a well thought out and researhed (especially for a pot head) arguement for energy from (hemp) bio mass conversion look here www.jackherer.com/book/ch09/html

VWW. P.S. one of these days I must learn how to post a direct link.

KPaulCook 02-21-2003 12:49 PM

Re: Kpaul, how much?

I will call and find out.

sarnali 02-21-2003 03:25 PM

Re: Hydrogen power

Are they hydrogen cars that cost that much? I never underestimate the ability of governments to spend money, but my god, 1.6 million each is pretty impressive even for them.

sarnali 02-21-2003 03:37 PM

As a power plant operator with 28yrs experiance I'd be happy to burn as much hemp as possible. When i worked at the U of W the Washington state patrol used to burn confiscated weed in our boilers, we had to open the ash pit doors and break open bags of weed and rake it around till it all burned, they didn't take their eyes off us for one second till we were done.

jmeyn 02-21-2003 03:44 PM

yet again. Once more into the breach...

Where left: = left-angle-bracket and :right = right-angle-bracket:

left:a href="INSERT URL HERE BETWEEN QUOTES":rightInsert text here. It'll be underlinedleft:/a:right.

I could do better than this if MO published an escape character.

jmeyn 02-21-2003 03:51 PM

But OHhhhhh that wonderful smell. I witnessed a pot burn in Mexico once. I never wanted it to end.

jmeyn 02-21-2003 03:56 PM

Re: Biodiesel for bikes?

Please post a link to confirmation of 45% thermal efficiency for a DI Diesel. That makes no sense. Fuel cells running on light hydrocarbons with reformers to produce hydrogen barely reach 40% efficiency; that's by far the best I've heard to date. Running on pure hydrogen, they can reach 60%!