Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 02-21-2003, 09:21 AM   #21
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Biodiesel for bikes?

Do you have any web links or other reverences to information on making your own bio diesel?

I assume that the bio-diesel you can buy at the pump is produced by something like ADM or some other highly subsidisied big corporation (my impression is that ADM ranks somewhere between Enron and Exxon in terms of corporate responsibility).

Regards

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-21-2003, 09:35 AM   #22
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Why?

Bob, if you are growing crops for bio-fuel it would only make sense that you would use that fuel for planting and harvesting the crop. As for economic sense, according to Jack Herer, the author of The Emperor Wears No Clothes, the crop which is the most economicly viable is hemp. Supposedly the plant material can be burned to make electricity, and the seeds can be pressed for oil. I'm quite sure that the smog caused by the generating plants would be both cleaner and more enjoyable than that of those burning coal. Of course with President Bush pushing for alternative fuels like his ridiculous hydrogen scheme, which everyone knows has absolutely no chance of competing with big oil interests, I'm sure that an alternative that might possibly work (especially one this politically charged) will get zero attention. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 09:40 AM   #23
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Additional times

Here you go, 3 Kwak times and the new prototype Yamaha tested by Norick Abe, it has dual suspension on the rear and an inverted swinging arm.

12. Hoffmann (Kawasaki) 1.45.8

13. Pitt (Kawasaki) 1.45.9

14. Abe (Yamaha) 1.46.0

15. McCoy (Kawasaki) 1.46.7

Old 02-21-2003, 09:48 AM   #24
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default IRTA Day One Times

This from MotoGP.com:

Thrilling day in Jerez as MotoGP racers launch into first IRTA test

With press and photographers flooding the pit lane eager to cast their expert eyes over the 2003 versions of the MotoGP four-strokes, the first day of the Jerez IRTA test for the premier class was certainly an exhilarating one. The main straight at the southern Spanish circuit was echoing with the deafening sounds of the new Ducati Desmosedici and Kawasaki Ninja ZX-RR, which both will be entered for their first MotoGP season in April, as well as the revised 2003 editions of the Yamaha M1, Suzuki GSV-R and the Aprilia RS Cube. There was more action out on the track however, with the riders keen to make an early showing in front of their rivals in what is the first official test for the MotoGP machines this year. Fifteen four-strokes were on track today including test-riders, with Alex Barros topping the pile after a day's work. The Brazilian is rapidly settling down on board his new Yamaha machine, and his time of 1 minute 42.588 seconds is over three-tenths inside Valentino Rossi's circuit record set here during the MotoGP race last May, demonstrating the progress already made by the Yamaha factory during the off-season.

Unlike the weather experienced by the 125 machines over the previous two days, it remained rain-free in Jerez, although the dark clouds looming overhead throughout the day were not a great omen for tomorrow's continuation of the session. Behind the Brazilian rider came his Yamaha colleague Carlos Checa, with Colin Edwards third-fastest on the Aprilia. Shinya Nakano and Marco Melandri rounded off a good day at the office for Yamaha, just ahead of the Ducati pairing of Loris Capirossi and Troy Bayliss.

Another item of note today at Jerez in MotoGP was the appearance of a new Yamaha prototype machine, which boasts twin rear-suspension and an inverted swingarm amongst other things, and which was being ridden by Norick Abe as part of the Japanese factory's test project.

Old 02-21-2003, 10:13 AM   #25
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Why?

Clearly, if the net energy production from biofuels is positive, you could/would do just that. Of course, of all those Iowa farmers now raising corn to produce ethanol, I doubt that 0.01% use anything but petrofuel.

I have heard or seen reports that for existing ethanol production, the net energy production is negative. I cannot confirm this, and even if true, this does not mean that technological advances cannot improve this. I know even less about bio-diesel, but understand that it may be less energy intensive in manufacturing process.

I don't object to paying some taxes to further research in this area, but regardless of what political party is in power, the reality is likely to be little more than a disguised form of welfare for big businesses like ADM and big farm interests.

Re hemp for fuel -- maybe this is the anwer to a couple of Bush adminsitration issues. They can deal with medical use of marijuana and costs of heathcare by locating hospices and cancer centers downwind from the power plants.

Cheers

Bob
Old 02-21-2003, 10:31 AM   #26
humhead
Registered Member

Default Re: Diesel turbine superbike

Check this out: http://www.marineturbine.com/superbike/
humhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 10:33 AM   #27
Jakh77
Founding Member

check this out:

http://www.journeytoforever.org/biod...processor.html

this guy drove up to my class at Evergreen State with this thing on a trailer behind his old toyota diesel and showed us all how to make it. He's kind of leaning towards the "crazy hippie" side of the spectrum but don't let that bother you. (he lives in a totally off the grid house in the forest) but he's a nice guy none-the-less. It's not really very complicated, despite the mad scientist style of tubes and vats.
Jakh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 10:57 AM   #28
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Default Hydrogen power

I was listening to a radio program this AM on "the hydrogen economy". Lots of difficulties getting there. Big emphasis on using wind and solar to produce the hydrogen. But what happens to bikes if hydrogen-fueled cars take over? Can they figure out how to fit a hydrogen tank and fuel cell into a bike, with reasonable weight? Or will we soldier on with gasoline, as demand drops and fuel stations convert to hydrogen, making gasoline harder and harder to find? This could get ugly for motorcycling.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 11:41 AM   #29
rsheidler
Founding Member

>>kind of leaning towards the "crazy hippie" side of the spectrum <<

Hey, I resemble that statement!

Thanks for the link, I hope to check it out soon.

Bob
Old 02-21-2003, 11:52 AM   #30
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Hydrogen power

We're still a long way from that scenario. We're probably a good 25 years before hydrogen cars become commonplace if they do at all.

The city of L.A. has a small fleet of Hondas that cost 1.6 million per copy and the city has to park them in the motor pool each night for refueling and maintenance.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote