Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 02-10-2003, 01:03 PM   #11
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Aussie Dyno Shootout: R6 vs ZX6r

Too bad for the poor R6. Fortunately this set back won't herald it's emminent demise as it is not a V twin. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2003, 01:06 PM   #12
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Nomination

I nominate KPaul as Chief MOWebsurfer with full rights to post. He comes up with the best...
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 03:04 PM   #13
RonXX
Founding Member

Default Re: Aussies already have the Z1000

Awesome link! This and the 'Rider' magazine ride report have convinced me to ignore the Kawi Z1000's fancy looks and go with an FZ1. I'm really surprised the Kawi is so bad in the midrange with a displacement boost compared to the ZX9R. The old fireblade motor is better for goodness sake!
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 03:13 PM   #14
jmeyn
Founding Member

Pure luck, that.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 03:28 PM   #15
RonXX
Founding Member

Default Re: Aussies already have the Z1000

It is interesting to note that the z1000 pictured at the bottom of the page alongside the FZ1 and 919 is clearly a preproduction unit. The most obvious clue is the front brake disc mount. The gold-colored metal has significantly more material than those in the pictures from Kawi. Also, it has clear turn signal lenses. Maybe the engine wasn't sorted out either?
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 04:10 PM   #16
LuckyKid
Founding Member

what kind of effect would the ram air systems of both bikes have on their power outputs (as in would it add 2 horsepower or 5)?
LuckyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 06:21 PM   #17
MrCrashHappy
Founding Member

Default If you test all the ~600s...

won't that include the new Daytona as well? I could be kidding.

The most interesting thing about these shootouts is the bragging rights and brand loyalty they engender. I can't tell you how many happy hours I've spent listening to 6/10s riders carry on about the compression ratio of that supersport or the mass centralization of this supersport. Then I casually mention I recently changed brake pads and bled the lines, and the reaction is sheer disbelief. The mere mention of valve adjustment or swingarm bearing lubrication can send some into seizures.

Worse than this is leading a pack of T-shirt and sneakers types through your favorite twisties in clear and dry weather. They honestly think that you're riding a dog because they catch you on the driveway-riddled straights.

The most useful part of any MO ~600 shootout is the admission, that in virtually any street situation, any bike will do. The most important attributes are ergonomic and psychological. That is, what doesn't hurt and what makes you feel manly riding it.

Performance is a relative thing. Most manufacturers give most riders more than they need, regardless of what they want. I've had Boudicca for over three years and I still haven't encountered a street situation where I can push her to the limit, safely and sanely. Except maybe those drag races on the viaduct over I-395. Never been behind a car that cost less than $75K for more than an eighth of a mile. Mustangs are a snack. Corvettes are a hearty souffle. Porsches? Now we're talking main course. But what is the practical application of reaching 110 mph in third gear? It makes me smile for days.

1998 Triumph T595 Daytona, sound effects by Cosworth. Hey, buddy. Want to see something cool?
MrCrashHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 05:50 AM   #18
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: If you test all the ~600s...

Crash

You absolutely nailed this one. A number of us have repeatedly attempted to make this point, but this may be the best explanation here yet.

Cheers

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 06:31 AM   #19
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: If you test all the ~600s...

Yet another voice of reason- you guys are multiplying. Pretty soon all of you will be reasonable and I'll have no reason to read your comments..
Old 02-11-2003, 09:53 AM   #20
Chango
Founding Member

Default Re: Practical application of 110 in 3rd gear

If you can go 110 mph in 3rd gear, then when you're only going 70 mph in 6th gear your engine will only be spinning at 10,000 rpm, which will save you gas!

Remember, it's always eaier to do things the hard way. Chango